Why are referees not evaluated?

johnnyjumpshot

I know this was posted about my school. That plaque was from the officials. They asked both head coaches from the two teams if they cared if they presented the plaque to him before the game. That it was going to be his final game. He wasn't doing any tournament games, so both coaches, including your coach said that would be fine. It wasn't like our school was giving him anything. We were unaware that he was retiring until the other two officials got it set up.

The officiating has been on a downward spiral in quality for YEARS. I was at a game the other night, an official called a foul from the opposite corner, with three players blocking his line of sight of the player he called the foul on. He was a good thirty feet away from the action, and the ref under the goal where the "foul" happened wasn't making the call. By the way, this same "official" was presented a plaque by the host school in honor of his upcoming retirement. I thought that a bit strange.

To add to this post, I have a really good friend who is very intelligent and he umpired and officiated Highschool bball. We were sitting watching a game and committed that the refs are always so terrible and he said yeah because basketball is so fast and difficult to officiate that a lot of calls are missed or the wrong call is made.

Someone correct me if I am wrong . I used to ref a few years ago . I was taught in three man crews you are responsible for a certain area on the court . Your eyes stay there . Countless times I watch officials eyes and they are on the ball when if they were on their area they would see the actual fouls away from the ball . Also I have seen them make calls that arent in their area . So have they changed how three man crews are taught ?

I have seen a ton of games this year, there is a level of professionalism that is lacking in our area of  Middle Tennessee. Now, there are some very good officials that do a great job, who are completely unbiased and show no attitudes toward players or coaches. But these officials are getting fewer and far between. However, there are nights that i watch games that an official will completely blow an obvious violation (which happens in all sports) and then get mad at the coach for asking a question about the call. It should  not a stretch to get the officials to 1) call what should be called, 2)  not have a bad attitude when they are questioned by coaches, 3) Worry about what is happening in the game-between the lines, not if the coach is 'out of the box', ad nauseum. 4) Know that this is THE only job for that coach, it is not PART-TIME and the players have worked year round for several years and both deserve the best they can get that night. 5) Start a program for the officials that allows coaches and schools as well as their supervisors to evaluate them after each game, and at the end of the season the highest ranked officials get rewarded by being able to officiate in the tournaments and pay them $125 per game or maybe higher. This gives the officials an incentive to work harder, get better , and improve the quality of play across the state for everyone involved.

If high school refs were evaluated there would be no refs......keep in mind high school is the bottom rung of the ladder. The pool is most likely very small in terms of who would even entertain the thought of being a high school ref.

Ding. We have a winner. You guys act like there is a waiting list to become a ref. They cannot get enough people to do it as it is because most do not want to listen to all the crap spewed at them. Most of the stuff I hear is ignorant rants. 75% of people yelling crap have never played and have no idea what the rules really state.

I have been coaching for over 25 years and there is no doubt there are good and bad officials. However, it is not exactly a fulfilling profession.

• Upvote 1

You definitely have to have thick skin . Once you acknowledge the crowd you are dead . I believe they should at least respect coaches more . I have seen officials come over explain calls then I have seen officials not even give an explanation of a call . How are you supposed to tell your kids what to do to get a call . Games are not called consistent . I know different refs call different ways . I am fine with that . All I ask is be consistent on both ends . Don't call a hand check on one end and let somebody push and body somebody up on the other . And block/charge is the worst . If a guy takes one in the shoulder and u call a block then on the other end a guy takes one in the shoulder then u can't call charge . Has to be taken in the chest just be consistent .

I have a pretty good background in it . It's not what they call its how consistent they are with their call . Some refs say you have to take it in the chest . Doesn't matter if your set or not . I don't necessarily agree with that a 100% if I guy uses his head or knee is a battering ram I will give him the charge if he hits a set player regardless if he i square or not . Regular lay up has to be in the chest and has to be set before player is airborne , he starts his fall before contact block . It's such a grey area and a bang bang play you just have to be consistent and coaches will respect that