Why are referees not evaluated?

johnnyjumpshot

Unaka boys beat South Greene tonight and shot 42 free throws to SG's 14. Same ref called the 5th foul on 3 or 4 different SG players. Unaka out hustled SG but that free throw differential is hard to overcome. Don't mean to sound like sour grapes just making a point.

There was a girls game in Mid TN last night where the FT discrepancy was like 34-8 in favor of the winning team. Which looks fishy, until I looked at the stats and saw the losing team shot over 30 three pointers, while the winning team pounded it in the paint all night. It's hard to draw fouls settling for 16"+ jumpers all night instead of attacking the rim. Plus how many of those FTs were late game fouls where the other team was fouling to get the ball back.

Now I have no idea if that's how it went down in Gray tonight, I'm just saying that all has to be taken into perspective.

I've never made any negative comments on CoachT about officiating but tonight in the TCA/JC game I saw the most pathetic technical I have ever seen called. Every game officials are going to miss calls both ways and that's just part of it. The game is fast and nobody is perfect. With about 2 minutes left the TCA post made a nice reverse move for a layup. The JC player flopped and got the call. It was a horrible charge call BUT that happens so you just move on. TCA was up 4 so they lost the basket that would have put them up 6. That happens so you just live with it. The TCA coach raised his arms in a very calm, normal way and never said a word. Technical! They hit one free throw and pulled within 3. So bad call and then technical was a 3 point turnaround. You don't call a technical in that situation unless the coach was really making a scene or said something profane to the official. Our coach never does that. That tech could have cost us the game. It didn't thankfully. I saw the supervisor after the game and he didn't appear to care nor did he appear to reprimand him. The official looks to be 70 years old. The good ole boy buddy system seems to be the issue here. No true evaluations seem to be taking place. There needs to be some type of system in place to keep them more accountable. I've watched this particular ref for years and he has an entitlement attitude. He actually is a pretty decent official but just has a bad attitude.

Edited by TCAIntense

All officials are evaluated. The results of that evaluation is covered in private.

Intense you were there and i wasnt but there has to be more to the story than him just throwing his arms up. Had there been other issues earlier in game. If that is all that happened then that could have been a quick t but you would have to be there to decide. Goodluck to the lions rest of the way

All officials are evaluated. The results of that evaluation is covered in private.

Intense you were there and i wasnt but there has to be more to the story than him just throwing his arms up. Had there been other issues earlier in game. If that is all that happened then that could have been a quick t but you would have to be there to decide. Goodluck to the lions rest of the way

There isn't more to it. The JC coach rode the official the whole game and he did not T him up. The official never once warned our coach. The reason he hadn't warned him was because he hadn't been riding him. It was a quick T and he should be reprimanded. I hope we send the tape to TSSAA for review because that guy needs to be seriously reprimanded. I've also watched him mouth back at people in the crowd on both sides. He does this quite often. Good officials don't do that. Best basketball official in West Tn is Wes from Chester Co. He is a true professional and works hard during the games and never a loses his cool.

I've never made any negative comments on CoachT about officiating but tonight in the TCA/JC game I saw the most pathetic technical I have ever seen called. Every game officials are going to miss calls both ways and that's just part of it. The game is fast and nobody is perfect. With about 2 minutes left the TCA post made a nice reverse move for a layup. The JC player flopped and got the call. It was a horrible charge call BUT that happens so you just move on. TCA was up 4 so they lost the basket that would have put them up 6. That happens so you just live with it. The TCA coach raised his arms in a very calm, normal way and never said a word. Technical! They hit one free throw and pulled within 3. So bad call and then technical was a 3 point turnaround. You don't call a technical in that situation unless the coach was really making a scene or said something profane to the official. Our coach never does that. That tech could have cost us the game. It didn't thankfully. I saw the supervisor after the game and he didn't appear to care nor did he appear to reprimand him. The official looks to be 70 years old. The good ole boy buddy system seems to be the issue here. No true evaluations seem to be taking place. There needs to be some type of system in place to keep them more accountable. I've watched this particular ref for years and he has an entitlement attitude. He actually is a pretty decent official but just has a bad attitude.

That was a terribly weak Technical call.  Not sure where that came from.  I don't believe that the supervisor was there, however, because he was watching his daughter's game a little further to the south.  He would have definitely addressed the Tech had he seen it.

That was a terribly weak Technical call. Not sure where that came from. I don't believe that the supervisor was there, however, because he was watching his daughter's game a little further to the south. He would have definitely addressed the Tech had he seen it.

I was there also and it was very weak. Especially when the other coach went out to clean a spot on the floor and used as time to chew on the ref. this ref is more concerned with what is going on in the stands and on the bench when he should be focused on the game and getting into the flow of the game himself. JMO. And this not based on one game of his. I have seen several of his games. Turn the rabbit ears off and do a service to the young men on the court.

Ding. We have a winner. You guys act like there is a waiting list to become a ref. They cannot get enough people to do it as it is because most do not want to listen to all the crap spewed at them. Most of the stuff I hear is ignorant rants. 75% of people yelling crap have never played and have no idea what the rules really state.

I have been coaching for over 25 years and there is no doubt there are good and bad officials. However, it is not exactly a fulfilling profession.

Exactly. As a coach, I teach my kids that officials make mistakes like all other people.

I tell them that when they can make every shot, eliminate every turnover, and master the 'perfect game', then they can question a mistake by an official. We all screw up - coaches, players, and officials. It is inherent in humans.

Officials are not created equally. Some are better than others. I do believe, however, that the overwhelming majority are trying to do their level best when they hit the floor.

Edited by bballfanforever

Exactly. As a coach, I teach my kids that officials make mistakes like all other people.

I tell them that when they can make every shot, eliminate every turnover, and master the 'perfect game', then they can question a mistake by an official. We all screw up - coaches, players, and officials. It is inherent in humans.

Officials are not created equally. Some are better than others. I do believe, however, that the overwhelming majority are trying to do their level best when they hit the floor.

I agree they try to do their best. That is not the issue I believe. Calls will go both ways in a game. I believe in my opinion is when it is time for some refs should move on. Just like athletes when the game has passed them by the retire. Same goes for refs

That was a terribly weak Technical call. Not sure where that came from. I don't believe that the supervisor was there, however, because he was watching his daughter's game a little further to the south. He would have definitely addressed the Tech had he seen it.

There was a supervisor there. I watched him follow them to their dressing room. I know whom you are referring to and it was not him. The supervisor I saw is much older and part of the good ole boy network. He certainly could have addressed the tech. We will never know.

Edited by TCAIntense

There was a supervisor there. I watched him follow them to their dressing room. I know whom you are referring to and it was not him. The supervisor I saw is much older and part of the good ole boy network. He certainly could have addressed the tech. We will never know.

I'm with you Intense...I have a post on another thread that mirrors yours about a supervisor's (90% sure it's the same one) "good game", "tough crowd" and so forth after a terrible night's calling, and repeatedly arguing with fans from both teams. I was present in the hospitality room to hear it with my own ears, and not a mention other than one "tough call" comment, which I thought was just allowing a mulligan for some awful officiating on her part. Just protecting one of his own.