Why are referees not evaluated?

johnnyjumpshot

I quit reading so much of the girls threads several years ago when my daughters graduated.

That being said, their are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of readers like me that would have never seen this topic about referees not being evaluated. These folks might be interested in making a comment about this issue as well.  Hubbard.

I am shocked if this the case with tssaa referees. I would think there is a minimal standard to which they are held.

Johnny, I don't know who got your panties in a wad, but I would appreciate it if you would not duplicate the same post in multiple threads.

Anyone that is interested in the rant, go over to the Girls Basketball thread.

Don't think I am the one with the panties in a wad there L. Ron. However, some people would realize that some fans may only look at the girl's board and boy's board respectively because they are fans of one and not the other. I have no do in the race other than I find this to be issue that affects the game, girl's and boy's across the state.

Is this true? Why are they not held accountable? The schools write the checks for them and they are technically employees of the schools that are playing, so why do the schools have no say? So this the same in all sports?

Not sure exactly where you're getting your info. I've seen the supervisor at several of the games played at Knoxville Catholic. Each association has supervisors and people that schedule the refs for each game. The refs are technically employees of the TSSAA and are subcontracted to the schools. The schools can actually blackball a certain number of refs BUT you do so at the risk of having them when you play on the road and that wouldn't be a very good situation.

Not sure exactly where you're getting your info. I've seen the supervisor at several of the games played at Knoxville Catholic. Each association has supervisors and people that schedule the refs for each game. The refs are technically employees of the TSSAA and are subcontracted to the schools. The schools can actually blackball a certain number of refs BUT you do so at the risk of having them when you play on the road and that wouldn't be a very good situation.

Actually, you can't do that anymore. That used to be the case but they can no longer be X'd Out. 

They may be technically employees of the TSSAA, but are not actually paid by the association. That comes directly from the school, and I don't think the TSSAA reimburses the schools for this, as  it comes out of the school or program account. Some associations do not allow scratches either. Yes there are some supervisors that get it and know what their role is, but there are some who don't. The supervisors do not work with many of the coaches, and vice-versa to make the game better for the players. The officials job is to simply call the game and what goes on 'between the lines'. Many get caught up with what happens in the stands or if the coach is 'in the box'. This is just MHO and we all know what that is worth!

They may be technically employees of the TSSAA, but are not actually paid by the association. That comes directly from the school, and I don't think the TSSAA reimburses the schools for this, as  it comes out of the school or program account. Some associations do not allow scratches either. Yes there are some supervisors that get it and know what their role is, but there are some who don't. The supervisors do not work with many of the coaches, and vice-versa to make the game better for the players. The officials job is to simply call the game and what goes on 'between the lines'. Many get caught up with what happens in the stands or if the coach is 'in the box'. This is just MHO and we all know what that is worth!

The schools definitely foot the bill for the officials. I've seen very little, if any, interaction between the supervisors and coaches. Generally the supervisor meets with the crew after the game to discuss/evaluate based on what I've seen at our games. Some games it is a struggle to get three good officials and one bad one can certainly impact the game for the entire crew. Saw a call last week in a game that decided our district champion where a coach was T'd up for being out of the box with just a minute or two to go in a CLOSE game when the ball was on the other end of the floor. I was thinking what were you doing as an official even looking back up to the other end of the court. Coach was yelling at his defense when it happened. Luckily it went against the opposing team but I thought it was a horrible call that impacted the game in a big way. 

Agreed! Also, you should not be able to see who is going to officiate a game and know who will get the good calls. Certainly this isn't always, but there are a few that always hammer certain teams. Refs should not call a game when a school from their county is playing...this happened this year at least once in games I went to. There are always calls you don't agree with but when it goes one way all night it isn't right...no matter if you are the team getting the favorable calls of not.

The schools definitely foot the bill for the officials. I've seen very little, if any, interaction between the supervisors and coaches. Generally the supervisor meets with the crew after the game to discuss/evaluate based on what I've seen at our games. Some games it is a struggle to get three good officials and one bad one can certainly impact the game for the entire crew. Saw a call last week in a game that decided our district champion where a coach was T'd up for being out of the box with just a minute or two to go in a CLOSE game when the ball was on the other end of the floor. I was thinking what were you doing as an official even looking back up to the other end of the court. Coach was yelling at his defense when it happened. Luckily it went against the opposing team but I thought it was a horrible call that impacted the game in a big way. 

The supervisors also are usually former officials themselves, and have longstanding relationship's with most officials currently calling games. I have also saw the supervisor from our region at several games, some of which have been called terribly...one in particular a few years back was so bad that I was interested to know if any "observation" from the supervisor would be mentioned. In the hospitality room the three officials and supervisor were all smiles, handshakes, and backslaps...I heard "good job" and "tough situation" mentioned, but nothing negative at all, even though one official faced the crowd and argued on three occasions while the ball was in play...she's still calling games, and we still have the same supervisor.

All the pieces are in place to ensure that the officials do the best job possible, but this is the reality...if you finish the night without feeling that one of the officials deliberately missed a call, or otherwise contributed to violations not being called correctly from being out of position, calling from other positions on the floor(not his/her area), or lack of knowledge of rules...then you're just plain lucky.

The officiating has been on a downward spiral in quality for YEARS. I was at a game the other night, an official called a foul from the opposite corner, with three players blocking his line of sight of the player he called the foul on. He was a good thirty feet away from the action, and the ref under the goal where the "foul" happened wasn't making the call. By the way, this same "official" was presented a plaque by the host school in honor of his upcoming retirement. I thought that a bit strange.