So now Mitchell has no class.

Galilee

Yes mom had to leave a tough situation. He endured a lot this year. If you only knew what he had to deal with. This kid is quiet and very humble. To be uprooted like that and still remain strong is very admirable.

I respect you and the positions you've held at Mitchell and others. BUT, this is exactly the stuff that private schools get accused of all the time. This is the same thing, public to public. Congrats on the Championship, the Tigers deserved it.

the thing that is commonly overlooked is that memhis city schools is the only school system that allows players to transfer from school to school and play immediately.  What it allows is for coaches to build teams and "reload" year after year.  Anywhere else in tn, transfers have to sit out a yr.  This is a deterrent because players dont want to loose eligibilty.  What is then created is the situation like Mitchell, who have 1A enrollment, the opportunity to really pull from a pool of athletes in a city whose population is upwards of 650,000.  To me it creates and unfair advantage.  Dont get me wrong its not a knock on mitchell or any others in the area. They are playing within the rules.  The rule either needs to change or everybody should be allowed the same opportunities afforded to them

Memphis city schools allow transfers but only TSSAA rules on eligibility. Address changes happen or kids don't play. If an illegal address is used then that's a different issue. TSSAA has a set of questions that must be answered by AD's anytime a transfer happens. Memphis is not exempt from these rules.

the thing that is commonly overlooked is that memhis city schools is the only school system that allows players to transfer from school to school and play immediately.  What it allows is for coaches to build teams and "reload" year after year.  Anywhere else in tn, transfers have to sit out a yr.  This is a deterrent because players dont want to loose eligibilty.  What is then created is the situation like Mitchell, who have 1A enrollment, the opportunity to really pull from a pool of athletes in a city whose population is upwards of 650,000.  To me it creates and unfair advantage.  Dont get me wrong its not a knock on mitchell or any others in the area. They are playing within the rules.  The rule either needs to change or everybody should be allowed the same opportunities afforded to them

The public schools in Memphis play by the same rules as do schools in Knoxville, Nashville, Maryville, or what have you. If you change schools you sit out a year unless you have a legitimate change of address. Just ask Jarnell Stokes. Why do you think he ended up at UT at the start of the spring semester when he played at UT? He changed schools his senior year and was ineligible to play in high school per the TSSAA guidelines. So he just graduated early and enrolled at UT and was their starting power forward THAT season ... fresh out of high school.

twhite, you must not be aware of the situation with Jarnell Stokes... Tried to transfer his senior year without change of residence... TSSAA ruled him ineligible so he left to go to Tennessee early out of high school. I'm sure TSSAA misses some in Memphis just like they miss some in the rest of the state.

twhite, you must not be aware of the situation with Jarnell Stokes... Tried to transfer his senior year without change of residence... TSSAA ruled him ineligible so he left to go to Tennessee early out of high school. I'm sure TSSAA misses some in Memphis just like they miss some in the rest of the state.

That's exactly what I was saying. Jarnell tried to transfer but he didn't change his residence. He and his family knew what the outcome would be beforehand. He actually lived in the Southwind zone. That's where he wanted to transfer to. He attended and played ball at Memphis Central the year prior. Everything was done by the book. Unless his transfer was going to be by some kind of hardship ... which is case by case with the TSSAA ... he and his family knew that he wasn't going to be eligible.

My point being that the schools in Memphis play by the same rules as everybody else. I brought up Jarnell's situation to explain that there are quite a few that have to sit out ... and they do. Whitehaven's football team experienced the same thing with one of our star players off of last years team. he had to sit out his junior year because of the TSSAA transfer rules.

People just sit up and imagine all of these things going on because 1A basketball in Memphis has two programs that are dominant. Well ... MAHS (Memphis Academy of Health and Science) is building a pretty strong program over there as well. I guess they all are recruiting and cheating since their basketball programs are becoming elite in 1A.

That's exactly what I was saying. Jarnell tried to transfer but he didn't change his residence. He and his family knew what the outcome would be beforehand. He actually lived in the Southwind zone. That's where he wanted to transfer to. He attended and played ball at Memphis Central the year prior. Everything was done by the book. Unless his transfer was going to be by some kind of hardship ... which is case by case with the TSSAA ... he and his family knew that he wasn't going to be eligible.

My point being that the schools in Memphis play by the same rules as everybody else. I brought up Jarnell's situation to explain that there are quite a few that have to sit out ... and they do. Whitehaven's football team experienced the same thing with one of our star players off of last years team. he had to sit out his junior year because of the TSSAA transfer rules.

People just sit up and imagine all of these things going on because 1A basketball in Memphis has two programs that are dominant. Well ... MAHS (Memphis Academy of Health and Science) is building a pretty strong program over there as well. I guess they all are recruiting and cheating since their basketball programs are becoming elite in 1A.

MAHS may even be the favorites for 1A next year

Edited by TonyG

The public schools in Memphis play by the same rules as do schools in Knoxville, Nashville, Maryville, or what have you. If you change schools you sit out a year unless you have a legitimate change of address. Just ask Jarnell Stokes. Why do you think he ended up at UT at the start of the spring semester when he played at UT? He changed schools his senior year and was ineligible to play in high school per the TSSAA guidelines. So he just graduated early and enrolled at UT and was their starting power forward THAT season ... fresh out of high school.

Dont forget Skal's transfer to Lausanne from ECS.  He was hurt his Junior year and did not play a single minute.  However, he did practice 1 day in the spring of his junior year and TSSAA would not allow him to play as a senior at Lausanne.