four classes in basketball

Indian

Can someone explain why there is a need for 6 classes in football and not a need for more classes in basketball, baseball, and softball? I have never heard a legitimate reason that would only apply to one group of high school athletes and not the others. If its safety, fair play, etc. why would that not apply to all?

Excellent question and I believe the answer is $$$. Doing state basketball, baseball and softball tournaments in a weeks time actually makes more $$ than if they had additional classes and took 2 weeks. At least IMO that's what the powers that be believe. I think attendance at state tournaments would increase if games were spread out more and rural areas would better be able to attend and at basketball tournament it is the small schools which bring the people and the $. TSSAA apparently wants the host town to be happier with full hotels than a full gym.

Has to be about $$$. No other reason

Lengthy travel should BE the last issue. Alabama has teams in the same region that's an hour or further away. Not hurting them at all. Mississippi and Kentucky do as well. You play the close games on Monday-Tuesday. Farther games on Friday-Saturday.

Because Alot of people consider Memphis "west" while only considering Chattanooga "east" leaving 1/4 of the state shafted every year.

And because of distance...Dallas Tx. is much closer to Memphis than Johnson City, and over 7 1/2 hours travel time on a bus. Murfreesboro is the geographical center of the state...one of the few things that TSSAA has used some common sense when making a decision.

I would like to see a 2 year trial run with 4 classes, if it fails, switch back.I don't like the "but there's a catch" warning being given out, reducing to four teams at the state if it were to happen. Play the opening rounds at schools around Murfreesboro-Riverdale, Oakland, etc as long as no school plays on home court then switch to MTSU for semifinals. Easy solution.

And because of distance...Dallas Tx. is much closer to Memphis than Johnson City, and over 7 1/2 hours travel time on a bus. Murfreesboro is the geographical center of the state...one of the few things that TSSAA has used some common sense when making a decision.

Oh you don't have to tell me. I went to Memphis all three years the Spring Fling was there from further east than Johnson City. NOT a fun school bus ride at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The only ones complaining are the ones not winning... If the smallest school in a class had 50 less kids than the largest people would still want a change

I disagree completely...Our school has been very vocal about the subject and our programs are very successful. Winning is great but having to play schools twice your size is not an equal playing field. Travel time cant get much worse...we currently travel an hour or more to over half our district games in all sports... including football and basketball.  Everyone wants to win but at least allow us to compete with similar size schools...Win or Lose!!!

There are 2 schools in Memphis closing, Northside and Carver. Others are at risk due to fallen enrollment. Several schools have projected enrollment at much less than at the last classification divide. I hope the tssaa looks at this when considering classes. I would like to see them look at set numbers in each class (for example up to 425 in A, 750 in 2A) not matter how many classes they end up going with. It doesn't seem fair that some schools closing in another part of the state could potentially make one play up with schools much larger just so there could be an equal divide.

• Upvote 1