Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great observation about next years region.   You have done some homework on the USJ Bruins.  Agreed that they will have a very competitive schedule in a very tough football region.  

I see this as a two sided coin, and who knows which side will land "up." On the one hand, the region is getting tougher. On the other hand, it will not be year one in a totally different system, and Bradley is a very good coach, not to mention having his father as an assistant that was an SEC assistant during the National Championship year at TN. It will be interesting to see which factor carries the day.

Question for you D2 West experts. So are Lausanne, St. George, and FACS perennial contenders? Do they pretty much just reload like Webb, or was this a particularly good year for them?

I am not a D2 West expert but will try to answer your question.   I do not think FACS has ever made it to the top 4 game in this division…Lausanne only played football last 4 years so no one knows what will happen with them next year and if some rule changes may affect their team, and yes Sg usually in the mix but they will graduate 85% of their offensive yardage this year ( as does Harding). 

I see this as a two sided coin, and who knows which side will land "up." On the one hand, the region is getting tougher. On the other hand, it will not be year one in a totally different system, and Bradley is a very good coach, not to mention having his father as an assistant that was an SEC assistant during the National Championship year at TN. It will be interesting to see which factor carries the day.

Question for you D2 West experts. So are Lausanne, St. George, and FACS perennial contenders? Do they pretty much just reload like Webb, or was this a particularly good year for them?

I'd never heard of Lausanne before this year. St George's and Webb are the only ones to win State in this division since Webb joining in 2009.

ECS use to be a power but have fallen off recently.

I'm no expert but will give a quick opinion. I think Lausanne will be the team to beat if they maintain their current roster and continue their current philosophy which is almost like a college using Juco transfers to raise their talent. For instance their QB transferred in last year from Olive Branch 6A school and since out of state did not have to sit out a year. Many players have recently transferred in and per the coaches many more want in. They also have one of their best players from the charter school they co-op. If this continues and I believe it will unless administration changes, they will be very tough year in and year out as they will go anywhere to get athletes and the pool of kids is huge in Memphis. SG and ECS get kids too but just doesn't seem to be as pervasive in recruiting as LAusanne. FACS is a good team but not as strong historically and Harding is strong but again has some up and down years. Northpoint had almost 30 seniors last year so it was a good year. In my opinion if the Memphis schools collectively recruit like Lausanne the state title may stay in Memphis. Although perhaps many schools after the same athletes may spread the talent out instead of concentrated at one school. USJ will have its work cut out no doubt about it. We have the QB back, couple RBs, decent OL, top WR- offense should be ok due to more time in CRB's system but defense might not be as good. Will definitely miss Trey Smith and other seniors who contributed a ton on and off the field. Just a great group of guys-going to miss them all

• 2 months later...

I will be very honest.  I have no idea what is going on if anything.  This is news to me as there have been no meetings, no rumors (other than this message board) and no problems to my knowledge.  We had one of the best football banquets I can remember and everything seems to be great.  We met about this fall and the excitement continues.  Of course, I never rule anything out and surprising things occur all the time in life, but this would be a shocker and a great loss because everyone I know here loves Coach Bradley and wants to work to make the program better each year.