Metro Rankings

bleacher

51 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Yes a step back. Same record means little. Your current opponents have been a combined 4-21. Would last years EN team have beaten LC by two scores? I'm not knocking this years team or staff, but right now they aren't as good as last years team. 

If I’m not mistaken last years East team didn’t win their region 

Edited by FIREBIRD80

28 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Yes a step back. Same record means little. Your current opponents have been a combined 4-21. Would last years EN team have beaten LC by two scores? I'm not knocking this years team or staff, but right now they aren't as good as last years team. 

Better question would last years staff be 5-0 with this team at this point? Plus Harris didn’t make this schedule the last staff did! So he just playing the hand he was dealt. 

Again, I'm not knocking this years team. I actually think Harris is a better coach than J. However, last years athletes were better. EN had some studs. Top to bottom last years team was better. Plain and simple. We will see how this team progresses the rest of the way. 

I am pretty sure EN lost region to SC. But then returned the favor when it mattered. 

23 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Again, I'm not knocking this years team. I actually think Harris is a better coach than J. However, last years athletes were better. EN had some studs. Top to bottom last years team was better. Plain and simple. We will see how this team progresses the rest of the way. 

I am pretty sure EN lost region to SC. But then returned the favor when it mattered. 

Nice to see a WIP post! Will your opinion change if East somehow gets a win Friday? EN has improved greatly in the special-teams category this season. This may pay off down the road. If EN can take care of the ball and eliminate drive killing penalties, they can get back to the state title game. Several big IFs. It would be nice if EN had a practice facility on campus. Driving to a park with no goalposts each day to practice isn't an ideal way to prepare for quality opponents.  

1 hour ago, 18NCS said:

Nice to see a WIP post! Will your opinion change if East somehow gets a win Friday? EN has improved greatly in the special-teams category this season. This may pay off down the road. If EN can take care of the ball and eliminate drive killing penalties, they can get back to the state title game. Several big IFs. It would be nice if EN had a practice facility on campus. Driving to a park with no goalposts each day to practice isn't an ideal way to prepare for quality opponents.  

NCS, I've got a little more time this year than normal so I'm getting back into reading the boards! If EN can get a win this week over a talented FRA team, I would say Harris and company are ahead of schedule. FRA imo will be the first real test. I think Harris is a great fit at EN and hopefully in the next schedule cycle he can get PC back on the schedule. I think that game would be huge for metro. Really like what EN has done so far and looking forward to the rest of the season. And I agree, if EN can eliminate self inflicted wounds, they can get back to the championship game. 

I've heard about EN practice situation. Makes things very difficult, but it's not just an EN thing. I know Overton has the same issue and a couple other practice fields I've seen are no more than a flat dust pile. Sad when teams can't practice safely on school grounds. 

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Don’t ever allow facts to get in the way of a good story by someone else.

CBG you of all people should know facts as you call them can be misleading. You're a businessman if I remember correctly. Data can always be manipulated to get the results you want. 

EN does indeed have the same record. However, to this point they really haven't played anyone worth gauging against. Looking at last years opponents to this point on the season, EN really had not played anyone of importance either. So the records don't really matter imo. What does matter is the level of coaching and the players. I think the current EN staff is better. But I think the senior heavy team of players from last year were better. As I'm sure you know, good coaching can help players grow. This week will be a great test. Should be a great way to see exactly where EN is and where they need to improve to make another deep playoff run. 

Edited by workinprogress

Simpson is trying to rebuild a broken program and instill discipline which resulted in suspending his best players. It's a work in progress , hats off to him trying to rebuild my alma mater . On the contrary of what Harris did, he wanted a ready made team which is why he didn't take it the first time since he was option one which was previously mentioned . It took the last staffs success and development to make him take it this time , anybody can see that .  I'm not saying it's a bad thing but that's clear as day what it was , along with him not getting PC job no time soon. East returned a great group of kids so success was going to be there no matter who coached . Simpson was an option for east but he had already accepted the Maplewood job when East opened . Friday will be a real test this is the only team so far that is worth a nickel. East would be 5-0 if the custodian coached them.

6 hours ago, workinprogress said:

CBG you of all people should know facts as you call them can be misleading. You're a businessman if I remember correctly. Data can always be manipulated to get the results you want. 

EN does indeed have the same record. However, to this point they really haven't played anyone worth gauging against. Looking at last years opponents to this point on the season, EN really had not played anyone of importance either. So the records don't really matter imo. What does matter is the level of coaching and the players. I think the current EN staff is better. But I think the senior heavy team of players from last year were better. As I'm sure you know, good coaching can help players grow. This week will be a great test. Should be a great way to see exactly where EN is and where they need to improve to make another deep playoff run. 

Either you're a sour graper or you had an issue with someone on the staff , a team that ain't won a thing goes back to back championships and you say the current staff who you just said ain't played nobody is a better staff than the previous one . What a joke . Harris is good but you're reaching. What grinds my gears is certain coaches can coach and then you say certain coaches have good players . It's amazing that minority coaches that are successful "they always have good kids"  but if white coaches have the same type of kids it's always "they are good coaches and run a great program "... I've heard when Hillsboro was good in the aydelot ( great coach )  2000s Maplewood (Ralph Thompson and Centae Broome have good players ), PC STATE RUNS (Tony Brunetti has the best kids in the city ) , CR state runs( Eddie got the best kids on his side of town) , East state runs ( loaded talent )  it's only been the same kids that attended these schools before those coaches got there .... but when Scott Blade did it he was  the best coach on this side of the spectrum. It's sad .