Metro Rankings

bleacher

7 hours ago, BigT said:

As a current Metro teacher and coach, this is spot on.

Takes a special person to teach and coach in Metro. Not just anyone can do it. Metro does not have the frills but it does have the basics to get the job done.. 

Edited by fb247

21 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

That is the problem. There are several good football coaches available, but few want to deal with the metro school day. ie (crap facilities, crap teaching schedule, no funds,) etc. Many of these "coaches" now do not have a teaching certificate which makes it really difficult in Metro.

There are all kinds of folks out there that THINK they could fix it, but the reality is much smaller. 

You have to sell your school and your program. Open zoning destroyed parity. Basically just a couple of all-star teams now with everybody else playing with scraps. Wasn't the QB in Overton's feeder middle school?

You have to be able to change the narrative at Antioch. Arnold had a great young QB that helped them compete early.  However, the new coach will have to keep getting those kids that have been crossing Murfreesboro Road to play for Woods. Jimmys and Joes make the difference. I don't think it is a coincidence that this year when Antioch made a resurgence, Cane RIdge had their worst team in years.

Did Antioch field a freshman team this year?

17 hours ago, fb247 said:

Takes a special person to teach and coach in Metro. Not just anyone can do it. Metro does not have the frills but it does have the basics to get the job done.. 

It is a grind like no other but despite any adversity that may come, it is rewarding when I see the kids pick up on the little things and apply them. There are some really good kids in Metro sports who just need people to stick with them through the tough times.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigT said:

It is a grind like no other but despite any adversity that may come, it is rewarding when I see the kids pick up on the little things and apply them. There are some really good kids in Metro sports who just need people to stick with them through the tough times.

How many metro coaches are taking kids from other schools for sports. Is this a problem ?

59 minutes ago, fb247 said:

How many metro coaches are taking kids from other schools for sports. Is this a problem ?

Honestly, I don’t know. I hear kids talk about going to be with their friends more than I hear coaches “taking” kids. Being realistic, it’s difficult to sell kids on working hard and building something up from nothing when they could go to schools already known for winning. Also have to look at the lack of stability at schools that don’t perform well in athletics because coaches don’t stick around either. It’s easy to follow a winner. Not saying it’s right but I don’t think these coaches have to do much convincing if you ask me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BigT said:

Honestly, I don’t know. I hear kids talk about going to be with their friends more than I hear coaches “taking” kids. Being realistic, it’s difficult to sell kids on working hard and building something up from nothing when they could go to schools already known for winning. Also have to look at the lack of stability at schools that don’t perform well in athletics because coaches don’t stick around either. It’s easy to follow a winner. Not saying it’s right but I don’t think these coaches have to do much convincing if you ask me. 

I appreciate your post. What sport is affected the most? Seems like it is football.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:59 PM, fb247 said:

Unfortunately, the frills are what the majority of the kids are looking for these days. With school choice, the frills will always win out. These kids, and parents, want people to coddle to them.

Yes I know in our time it was important to look and BE tough. Not anymore. Now they all want to be babied and catered to and just talk a lot instead of being able to back it up. The era we are living in.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

On 1/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Unfortunately, the frills are what the majority of the kids are looking for these days. With school choice, the frills will always win out. These kids, and parents, want people to coddle to them.

Yes I know in our time it was important to look and BE tough. Not anymore. Now they all want to be babied and catered to and just talk a lot instead of being able to back it up. The era we are living in.

Who will be top candidates for Antioch? 

• Upvote 1