Whitehaven @ Arlington

kwc

That's a very promising score for such a big game. hope our underclassmen got plenty of great reps... On to the next one...

We looked businesslike in our approach to this game. We played with intent and purpose. Very focused in all phases of the game. We did not mess around we those guys at all. I was impressed with their determination and earnest desire to be physical.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, until they show me differently, I am always concerned with Whitehaven's OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING. As many athletes as Whitehaven has at the WR position, we should be putting up big numbers every game. WE CAN NOT OVERPOWER EVERYBODY. There are going to be some teams (ex: Ravenwood last year) that we can not overpower and run simple plays.

I would like to see more utilization of the talented WRs in more slant routes or mixed direction plays. Something to keep the opponent's defense guessing. I say bring coach Flowers back to call the plays!!!

Ok lasal2000, you have made your request known. You and BHS want a different OC. Guess what. It's not going to happen. First, both coordinators run their side of the ball with the HC's blessing. They do this in conjunction with what he wants. Please go read coach Saulsberry's quotes in the article in the Commercial Appeal. His philosophical approach is inherent in his quotes. Whitehaven is a physical, run oriented team. We can pass, but running the ball and being physical iS are calling card. It's what we do. We are at our best in that capacity. We are more LSU then anything else. It is who we are. We aren't going to change just because you or anyone else would like us to be more like Clemson, or Bama, or someone else. Our OC is an O-line guy and he's established his philosophy around being physical and running the ball. We are NOT going to run another type of offense. You can whine, and complain, and critisize, all you like. We are a physical, LSU type offense. That's who we have been for the past 13 years. We are good at it. You may not prefer it, but that is our identity.

Edited by kwc

Ok lasal2000, you have made your request known. You and BHS want a different OC. Guess what. It's not going to happen. First, both coordinators run their side of the ball with the HC's blessing. They do this in conjunction with what he wants. Please go read coach Saulsberry's quotes in the article in the Commercial Appeal. His philosophical approach is inherent in his quotes. Whitehaven is a physical, run oriented team. We can pass, but running the ball and being physical iS are calling card. It's what we do. We are at our best in that capacity. We are more LSU then anything else. It is who we are. We aren't going to change just because you or anyone else would like us to be more like Clemson, or Bama, or someone else. Our OC is an O-line guy and he's established his philosophy around being physical and running the ball. We are NOT going to run another type of offense. You can whine, and complain, and critisize, all you like. We are a physical, LSU type offense. That's who we have been for the past 13 years. We are good at it. You may not prefer it, but that is our identity.

As an Alabama fan I do NOT like the comparison to LSU one bit lol... Also, I personally do not want another OC  :mrgreen:

But seriously, look, this year the run game may have to be IT as there aren't any big Time College players at the QB and WR position. The guys we got will likely play on Saturdays if they have the GPA and ACT score but you know these guys aren't Jordan Williams, Pat Smith, Tammarious Mitchell, Mose Frazier, Darrius Sims, Justin Hunt, Kerrick Jones, etc caliber. The ISSUES that folks like Lasal2000 and myself have with D is that we have had those caliber guys before and at times straight wasted their talents in certain games trying to be smashmouth in Lasal's opinion I believe. K-dub, get that you try to remain positive about the OC but there have been more times than NOT that that side of the ball didn't hold up to it's end of the bargain in BIG Games against the Better Teams. It is what it is. Chester Flowers may not be realistic as a replacement but if we lose another Semifinal/Championship game and the Offense scores less than 21 points the critics such as myself will be out AGAIN. The way you shut up critics, Just Win Baby! Don't lose to anyone in the area! Don't lose to the well-coached, lesser athletic Middle Tenn in the Semifinal (Hendersonville, Ravenwood, Mt. Juliet, or whoever the Mid State decides to send West). BEAT The Red Dragon in the Title game (No disrespect intended to the Murfreesboro schools but yall seem to REFUSE to beat The Red Dragon, sorry). It's easier said than done, we know but that's the expectation and those expectations are not unreasonable and have been EARNED due to our building of the Program. I respect what Coach D and Jason do, but I don't like seeing replays of Ls (The Ravenwood loss last season looked JUST LIKE the Smyrna semifinal loss in 2010 imho).

Good Luck Offense. We may be str8 as it looks as if we have a 'Mark Dodson' caliber game breaker in Kylan Watkins so we may have a repeat of 2012. Only Time will tell. 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

As an Alabama fan I do NOT like the comparison to LSU one bit lol... Also, I personally do not want another OC  :mrgreen:

But seriously, look, this year the run game may have to be IT as there aren't any big Time College players at the QB and WR position. The guys we got will likely play on Saturdays if they have the GPA and ACT score but you know these guys aren't Jordan Williams, Pat Smith, Tammarious Mitchell, Mose Frazier, Darrius Sims, Justin Hunt, Kerrick Jones, etc caliber. The ISSUES that folks like Lasal2000 and myself have with D is that we have had those caliber guys before and at times straight wasted their talents in certain games trying to be smashmouth in Lasal's opinion I believe. K-dub, get that you try to remain positive about the OC but there have been more times than NOT that that side of the ball didn't hold up to it's end of the bargain in BIG Games against the Better Teams. It is what it is. Chester Flowers may not be realistic as a replacement but if we lose another Semifinal/Championship game and the Offense scores less than 21 points the critics such as myself will be out AGAIN. The way you shut up critics, Just Win Baby! Don't lose to anyone in the area! Don't lose to the well-coached, lesser athletic Middle Tenn in the Semifinal (Hendersonville, Ravenwood, Mt. Juliet, or whoever the Mid State decides to send West). BEAT The Red Dragon in the Title game (No disrespect intended to the Murfreesboro schools but yall seem to REFUSE to beat The Red Dragon, sorry). It's easier said than done, we know but that's the expectation and those expectations are not unreasonable and have been EARNED due to our building of the Program. I respect what Coach D and Jason do, but I don't like seeing replays of Ls (The Ravenwood loss last season looked JUST LIKE the Smyrna semifinal loss in 2010 imho).

Good Luck Offense. We may be str8 as it looks as if we have a 'Mark Dodson' caliber game breaker in Kylan Watkins so we may have a repeat of 2012. Only Time will tell. 

Best BHS post ever!!! Personally, if I could "construct" a team from thin air, it would be a defensive, run oriented team with a physical style of play...less chance of error, weather affecting the outcome, or losing to an inferior team. In reality, Whitehaven should be the team with all the gold balls, and Maryville playing catchup. No team in Tennessee (and few in the country) can match the sheer number of gifted athletes that have taken the field in the past several seasons for the 'Haven, yet there always seems to be "that game" where EVERYTHING looks to have gone wrong, and they lose a close game in the playoffs. A one dimensional team that does what they do very well is hard to beat, but not impossible. With the caliber of skill players that the Tigers have, backfield screens, bubble screens, jet sweeps, and an occasional option sweep would spread defenses and keep the defensive backs guessing a little bit. Nothing wrong with play action and a deep one even when you're gashing the line either, just makes running the ball easier even if you don't hook up the long one. Not familiar with Whitehaven's playbook at all, but history is a great teacher...if the better team doesn't win it all in a particular year...well, stuff happens. If the best team hardly ever wins it all...something needs fixed.

Best BHS post ever!!! Personally, if I could "construct" a team from thin air, it would be a defensive, run oriented team with a physical style of play...less chance of error, weather affecting the outcome, or losing to an inferior team. In reality, Whitehaven should be the team with all the gold balls, and Maryville playing catchup. No team in Tennessee (and few in the country) can match the sheer number of gifted athletes that have taken the field in the past several seasons for the 'Haven, yet there always seems to be "that game" where EVERYTHING looks to have gone wrong, and they lose a close game in the playoffs. A one dimensional team that does what they do very well is hard to beat, but not impossible. With the caliber of skill players that the Tigers have, backfield screens, bubble screens, jet sweeps, and an occasional option sweep would spread defenses and keep the defensive backs guessing a little bit. Nothing wrong with play action and a deep one even when you're gashing the line either, just makes running the ball easier even if you don't hook up the long one. Not familiar with Whitehaven's playbook at all, but history is a great teacher...if the better team doesn't win it all in a particular year...well, stuff happens. If the best team hardly ever wins it all...something needs fixed.

Thanks. We all have an opinion on what's missing. I'm not saying we have to be perfect but if we lose let it be because the other team outplayed us instead of being able to look back at this, that or the other mistake.

I rarely post. Not from the Haven. Not from Memphis. But have lived here 17 yrs. now. Only area of the the city I have lived in is BLACKHAVEN. Only school I have followed since moving to Memphis. Have pretty much been at ever game for past 10 yrs. It almost seems to me that the coaching staff always plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Know I'm not a coach nor have I ever been a coach. But it just seems like we are unwilling to use the entire playbook. I know some will say but, we still win. Understood. But we are not winning CHAMPIONSHIPS. And last I checked that's the expectation at the HAVEN every year. I honestly believe that our offensive play calling is what makes some games more difficult than they should be. Looks like we just try to out talent everyone which usually works until late in the playoffs. Just my opion

I happen to think that the QB position is just fine. I like Lesley's poise and demeanor. He's physical AND fast. He throws well and he's pretty decisive. He's thrown one INT in three games. I also like our WR corp. MJ and Kenneth have speed to burn. CJ and Megatron are big, physical targets. I like that we have put Aubrey in at TE and threw him the ball. Heck ... we've thrown it to Shabar a couple of times. Not to mention #12, #14, and #17 all are capable pass catchers, and they all block downfield well. Actually, this is the deepest RECEIVING corp. we've had in a while.

Edited by kwc

I rarely post. Not from the Haven. Not from Memphis. But have lived here 17 yrs. now. Only area of the the city I have lived in is BLACKHAVEN. Only school I have followed since moving to Memphis. Have pretty much been at ever game for past 10 yrs. It almost seems to me that the coaching staff always plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Know I'm not a coach nor have I ever been a coach. But it just seems like we are unwilling to use the entire playbook. I know some will say but, we still win. Understood. But we are not winning CHAMPIONSHIPS. And last I checked that's the expectation at the HAVEN every year. I honestly believe that our offensive play calling is what makes some games more difficult than they should be. Looks like we just try to out talent everyone which usually works until late in the playoffs. Just my opion

Hey Carolina ... post more often. Maybe we should meet up at a game or something. We could use your voice more on CoachT.

The OC and the HC likes it like the SEC of old ... 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

LOL.

We are determined to run the ball. We want to establish the LOS as Whitehaven territory.

Edited by kwc

I happen to think that the QB position is just fine. I like Lesley's poise and demeanor. He's physical AND fast. He throws well and he's pretty decisive. He's thrown one pic in three games. I also like our WR corp. MJ and Kenneth have speed to burn. CJ and Megatron are big, physical targets. I like that we have put Aubrey in at TE and threw him the ball. Heck ... we've thrown it to Shabar a couple of times. Not to mention #12, #14, and #17 all are capable pass catchers, and they all block downfield well. Actually, this is the deepest WR corp. we've had in a while.

Putting #22 at TE is a good look but to me shows a lack of depth among the receiving corps... but I am happy to see us playing the best athletes both ways. My only thing is this, #82 should actually be getting some looks at TE. He's actually 6'5"