Daily Rules Question

TribeFan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happened last year in our game with Red Bank. Red Bank coach complained to the referee. The referee warned our coach that if the band continued to play after the Red Bank offense came to the line of scrimmage, that he would flag us for unsportsmanlike conduct. Our coach notified our AD, who had to make the band stop playing.

SECTION

UNFAIR

ACTS

ART. 1 . . . A player or nonplayer or person(s) not subject to the rules shall not hinder

play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

ART. 2 . . . No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal

line.

ART. 3 . . . No player shall hide the ball under a jersey.

ART. 4 . . . No player shall use a kicking tee in violation of Rule 1-3-4.

ART. 5 . . . Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee,

tends to make a travesty of the game.

PENALTY: Unfair act – the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable,

including the award of a score – (S27). Repeated fouls (Art. 2) – the game may be

forfeited. Hiding the ball under a jersey, (Art. 3) (S27) – 15 yards basic spot. Using

illegal kicking tee, (Art. 4), (S27) – 15 yards basic spot.

NOTE: The penalties in Rules 9-9-3 and 9-9-4 are not charged to the coach or player

for the purpose of unsportsmanlike conduct disqualifications.

Not sure where you're finding this...granted what I just posted is from a 2014 PDF rule book I have.

I can tell you that you wouldn't talk to the opposing AD. Each game has a game administrator and if anything was done it would be up to that person not the AD of the school you have a problem with.

For us, as long as there is no whistle coming from the stands then the band can do what they want.

So, what you are saying is that even though it is a rule, you won't make that call? The rule is pretty cut and dry. Unlike targeting penalties which are extremely subjective for the most part. Just curious to get a refs true take on this.

So, what you are saying is that even though it is a rule, you won't make that call? The rule is pretty cut and dry. Unlike targeting penalties which are extremely subjective for the most part. Just curious to get a refs true take on this.

What are You trying to read into this???? Bands can play just like Fans can cheer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen this rule enforced.  OR was playing at Ooltewah.  Benny Monroe complained about our band playing while they were on offense.  The ref told our coach to get it stopped or there would be an unsportsmanlike penalty.  Coach sent AD over to the band and took care of it.  I think they let it go unless the Coach complains to the ref about it.  I have seen it enforced but more times than not they let it go.