Knoxville Catholic vs. Belfry, KY

ATLCat

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATLCat described Belfry to a T. A friend of mine used to play for them back in the late 80's early 90's. I have been to several games with him over the years, and while I haven't seen this year's team, they sound like a more talented replica of all the other Belfry teams I've watched. Big, physical, well coached. It's easy to see why Phillip Haywood has had so much success. We went into the locker room before a playoff game, probably about 10 years ago. Haywood's pregame speech made your hair stand on end. I was in my mid 40's at the time and would have gladly suited up for this man. I would dearly love to go to the Catholic game, but we already had made reservations in Florida and couldn't change them. 

Hey QLOU .. I think you guys handle this pretty easy .. Belfrey's only chance is to consume clock with 3yards and a cloud of turf ... but dont see them being consistent in doing this .. KC will have to make their early posessions count for points and if they get them down 21-0 or so then Belfrey cant just run the ball .. they will be forced to open attach up but dont see Belfrey being able to stop KC offense at all .. but the possesions early may be limited .. but as long as KC makes them count then by the mid 3rd Qtr if will be katy bar the door .... and I tink KC has their way with Belfrey ....

At the risk of QLouing this game will be tough. No way will it be easy. They controlled the LOS last year and will cause problems this year too. Very well coached team with a winning culture.

Sorry in advance for the long post, but when you get to share your favorite team with those that don't know about them it is easy to be long winded.

It is first necessary to understand where Belfry is. This is a small county school, enrollment 700, in very rural Kentucky in the heart of coal mining country. Belfry sits nestled up along the WV border and for decades now Belfry football has been the biggest draw in the area and is a legitimate Friday Night Lights kind of vibe.

Phillip Haywood is the head coach and he is a living legend. He is Kentucky's all-time wins leader and Top 10 nationally among active coaches. He is "old school cool" and is one of the most respected HC's in KY as a man for how he teaches his kids much more than football.

His hallmark is his rushing offenses and his fundamentally sound Defenses. For years Belfry was a wishbone team who lined up exclusively in a 5-2. Belfry has arguably the top feeder program in the State of Kentucky and has won 4 consecutive Middle School State Titles beginning with this current Senior Class. As the feeder system has produced more talent and depth he has evolved his Offense into a hybrid of the Wing T and Flex Bone. Lots of triple option, misdirection, and a mix of straight ahead power. The Defense has also evolved into more of a 3-4.. I will get into this team's Defense more in a minute.

To assume this is a team that simply wants to beat you with three yards and a cloud of dust is a fatal error, one that KnoxCath learned last year when Belfry ran for over 400 yards and essentially dominated from beginning to end. Belfry has a freakishly large OLine anchored by three players with D-1 Offers, they average around 6'2 300 across the line. The two studs are UK Commit Austin Dotson (6'6 300) and Louisville Commit Cole Bentley (6'4 305). Dotson plays tackle and he is a special player. As big as he is he moves like a TE and has a nasty side. Bentley lines up at TE where he is basically a third Tackle. He is a mauler. Behind this massive Oline Belfry uses a stable of backs with varying skills. They have big play ability at the wingbacks and two very good Fullbacks who can power in the middle once you are spread out. The QB is a great athlete and so far this year is a combined 5/7 passing with 4 of those goings for TD's (the other was down at the 1), he is averaging around 40 yards per completion.

Defensively is where KnoxCath is about to see a challenge like they haven't seen all season. Belfry is big, fast, and very experienced with numerous 3 and 4 year starters. It starts up front where Bentley joins RayQuan Horton on the D-Line. Horton is a special HS player and arguably the most dominant Defensive Player in Kentucky. Last year KnoxCath tried to block him one on one and he absolutely ate the Irish alive. At this point he only sees double teams and most teams just try to avoid even challenging him. Last night a specific play stood out where Pikeville committed a double team and the blitzing Belfry LB'er literally didnt even get looked at as he came through for the sack. Bentley is a space eater at Nose. Behind this line is Junior LB Derek Wellman. Wellman I predict will be playing at the FCS level before it is over..he is a very good LB.

The matchup that intrigues me will be Belfry's secondary vs. those unbelievable Knox Cath WR's. In terms of the HS level Belfry has three very good DB's between their two CB's and the FS Catron. Junior CB Devin Varney #3 is an excellent High School player and a lockdown corner against Prep competition... with that said, he hasn't seen anything like Amari Rodgers. Varney is 6'2 and can move and plays with a swagger, but Rodgers is just simply a special talent that is on another level compared to what he is used to.

Special Teams for Belfry is a huge mystery on multiple levels. They simply have not been asked to punt this year, but they lost an excellent punter who graduated. Kicking I am not sure what is happening. Belfry has an All-State kicker who KnoxCath fans will remember from last year in Austin Woolum. Big time leg. With that said, Woolum suffered a soft tissue leg injury prior to the season. Woolum is a very good CB and also the starting SE, and for whatever reason has not handled any of the kicking duties this year since the opening kickoff. Belfry has used a Freshman Kicker who has done adequate, but he isn't anywhere near the weapon Woolum is. I am not sure if they are just not wanting to risk re-injury, if they are just saving him when they know they will be tested, or if they just decided to develop the Freshman this year knowing Woolum is graduating. Return wise Belfry is alright..they have returned a kickoff for a TD and returned a punt for one as well, they have also muffed a punt and fumbled a kickoff though. Coverage wise the punt coverage is TBD, kickoff coverage has been "meh"

Catholic has around 600 students. Numbers are listed higher due to the 1.8 multiplier.

For the poster who said Belfry is 3 yards and a cloud of dust or turf, I would say not so fast my friend. They tend to be more of a quick strike O just primarily on the ground. We can three and 4 yard you to death and if you allow that you will never beat Belfry, but just last night they had 4 explosive TD runs of 63 yards or more. Easy to say you can stop it, but really hard to do.

What this week comes down to is this:

- How does Belfry adjust to the step up in competition? Belfry has obliterated their first 4 opponents with a First Half running clock in three of them. They have played the 2A Runner-Up and 1A State Champs as well as a 5A School and a 6A School.. but KnoxCath is a different monster. Newport Catholic two weeks ago (the 2A Runner-Up) has been the only team to really even make Belfry break a sweat and as a result Belfry made some penalty and fumble errors before eventually imposing their will.

- How does KnoxCath handle Belfry's physicality and depth? Being frank KnoxCath just doesn't see teams as physical as Belfry. CAK learned about this and KnoxCath found out last year. Playing a team that runs 95% of the time under center and brings a ton of power at the LOS is just something you dont see much anymore, especially at a high level of execution. In last year's game you could tell KnoxCath was not ready for Belfry's OLine and Dline and by the time they started to settle in Belfry already had them a bit winded.

- The big play will reign supreme. KnoxCath has playmakers galore and give a lot of different looks to get it in their hands. Belfry is predictable, but they set you up so that if you do not play flawless assignment football you are watching a back go 70 yards because you missed one tackle or went to the wrong hole. Defensively the big play will be huge as well. Can KnoxCath turn Belfry over? Can Belfry get a big TFL or make a key QB hurry on 3rd down to get Catholic off the field?

Definetly two different styles. Should be interesting. Edited by QSouth89