USJ @ MILAN

I know a lot of people will not question Rusty Bradley on this game, but I believe his offense play-calling is what cost them this game, especially in the last few minutes of this game. First, on the two point conversion. If you put in a new running back (#51 for USJ), you kind of just gave the Milan's defense an indication that they (USJ) will be running the football on that 2 point conversion. Doubt Milan's defense recognized it, but anyways, thanks for the hint. Second, I 100000% disagree with going for the 57 yard field goal on 4th down. The wind was blowing from right to left, making it a cross win. I thought it would be better off if USJ went for it with around 25 seconds left. Just a little 5 yard slant route will make everything better. However, USJ did drop some passes that should've been caught. Just don't agree with kicking the 57 yard field goal with 25 seconds left on 4th & 2. That's all. Another 10-12 yards would've made everything much better for the Bruins, field goal would've been near 42-45 yards. Even college and pro kickers can't make 57 yard field goals when the game is on the line, kind of knew USJ's kicker had no chance at all of making it when he was rushed onto the field and hurried everything. That destroyed their chances!

There's a lot of things you can do on that 4th&2. Jet sweep, Power I behind Trey Smith, and even a QB iso behind Trey Smith as well with a running back and a pulling guard as lead blockers, but I don't think USJ has that in their playbook. Just pass here and pass there. Sucks when there's a 6"5 300 pound left tackle playing for your H.S. team and you don't use him to his capability. When will USJ get another 6"5 300 pound lineman again?

Meanwhile, great game between two great programs. USJ impressed a lot of people on Friday, including me. I hope USJ will play opponents like Milan starting next year. 

A very intense and mostly-well-played game. Things got a little sloppy on both sides in the fourth quarter.

The refs called a good game for the most part. However, there were a few questionable calls in big moments. Those all went to Milan.

Ballard's TD run and the USJ QB's fumble were judgment calls. There's no excuse for missing the 12th man on the final FG attempt. 

That said, USJ had every chance to win this game.

They had some key drops. The play call on the two point conversion was a little too cute for my tastes, but the hole was wide open. On the field goal try, there aren't any good options with the clock running out and no timeouts.

Both teams took some big positives away from this contest:

Milan can slow down an elite passing offense. 

USJ's defense can go toe-to-toe with an elite, power running game. Their offense will score points against anyone.

That's exactly what both teams need to put hardware in the trophy case.

As for how Trey Smith is utilized: 

Protecting a very good QB's blindside 60+ times a game is pretty darn important.

A 6'5" 300 pound run blocker can get a scholarship. A 6'5" 300 pound pass blocking left tackle can make $100 million.

Congrats to Milan on the hard fought and well-earned victory.

Very impressed by all aspects of your program: game plan, adjustments, fan support, players' technique and athleticism plus their effort and determination.

I would gladly become a booster for both programs to see this game happen every year.

A very intense and mostly-well-played game. Things got a little sloppy on both sides in the fourth quarter.

The refs called a good game for the most part. However, there were a few questionable calls in big moments. Those all went to Milan.

Ballard's TD run and the USJ QB's fumble were judgment calls. There's no excuse for missing the 12th man on the final FG attempt. 

They had some key drops. The play call on the two point conversion was a little too cute for my tastes, but the hole was wide open. On the field goal try, there aren't any good options with the clock running out and no timeouts.

USJ's defense can go toe-to-toe with an elite, power running game. Their offense will score points against anyone.

Protecting a very good QB's blindside 60+ times a game is pretty darn important.

A 6'5" 300 pound run blocker can get a scholarship. A 6'5" 300 pound pass blocking left tackle can make $100 million.

Very impressed by all aspects of your program: game plan, adjustments, fan support, players' technique and athleticism plus their effort and determination.

I would gladly become a booster for both programs to see this game happen every year.

Ballard's TD was not a questionable call....not even close....I was standing right on the goal line...he landed on the pile and rolled into the end zone....knees not even close to touching the ground....I'm sure USJ payed big $bucks$ to get RGB so live with his decisions...congrats to both teams....on a well played football game....I believe both teams will be playing in late November...

Edited by cofo

Very impressed by all aspects of your program: game plan, adjustments, fan support, players' technique and athleticism plus their effort and determination.

I agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add one thing. While I agree with not noticing the Milan player not getting off the field on the field goal at the end. I also feel that it was a shame the same refs did not notice Morris on the sideline jumping up and down and yelling trying to get the timeout. Yes there should have been a penalty for 12 men on the field when the kick happened. But had the refs really done the right thing they would have given the timeout we asked for and the penalty would not have been an issue.

I agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add one thing. While I agree with not noticing the Milan player not getting off the field on the field goal at the end. I also feel that it was a shame the same refs did not notice Morris on the sideline jumping up and down and yelling trying to get the timeout. Yes there should have been a penalty for 12 men on the field when the kick happened. But had the refs really done the right thing they would have given the timeout we asked for and the penalty would not have been an issue.

I agree with what you said. When the refree on Milan's sideline went out to the goalpost, the guy that's doing the clock should be able to call timeouts for Milan. The field goal attempt was on the far hash (USJ side), therefore, the closest referee is still about 35 yards from Milan's sideline, probably focused on whatever he needs to focused on. Out of all the high school games I've witnessed as a fan and a former player, I've never seen a clock guy call a timeout. Not having a referee on the home sideline puts Milan out to dry in that situation, while USJ still has their ref. It can cost someone a region game, and could cost someone a playoff (we've seen strange things happen). Other than that, I thought they did a pretty decent job.