HS Football Band Play

TGUN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't understand that haven. We are use to show bands especially down your way in Memphis. Its no different then the crowd if you ask us. Make the game more exciting also. #Halftime

The fans that complain about our band playing when their team has the ball cracks me all the way. Like you want them to turn down, for what?!

They wouldn't understand that haven. We are use to show bands especially down your way in Memphis. Its no different then the crowd if you ask us. Make the game more exciting also. #Halftime

I work with a supporter from another Region 4, 6A school. We went to their stadium and beat them this year. Our band does their thing like they always do. The following week ... not that Monday ... but later on in the week, like on Friday, he finally stopped avoiding me in the hallways. I guess he thought that I was going to gloat or something. Anywho .. he approached me and acknowledged the game and what have you.

Then he looked me in my face and said ...

"You know what I thought was really classless ... when our team finally made a play and got the ball close to the end zone ...  your band starts to play! Your band is big and loud! It caused our team to not be able function"

I replied ...

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's the way we do things. It's a difference in culture."

He replied ... "You don't see them do it in college. You don't see Alabama or UT do that!"

By this time he was a little excited. I replied ...

"Your culture and experience comes from fans that pattern themselves after the large colleges like Alabama, and UT, and what not. It's not their/your culture for those teams to play when the opponent has the ball. Therefore, your experience is different then ours."

I elaborated further ...

"Whitehaven isn't like that ... our band is even different then yours ... our band, and our Friday night experience is patterned after HBCU colleges and games. Our band PLAYS during the game and they support our team. Our band's performance is totally different then yours ... our band patterns themselve after FAMU or TSU ... not Bama or UT. The atmosphere is different ... the halftime show is different."

Then I asked ...

"When's the last time you watched an HBCU football game on TV?" "When is the last time you attended the Southern Heritage Classic?"

I got no reply ... so I stated  ...

It's Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for our guys to hear the opposing teams band to play when we have the ball, from the culture Whitehaven comes from. The players on the field just ignore it and focus on the play at hand. It's not new to us. It was new to you. What you call classless I say ... difference in culture"

That was the end of our discussion ... so I left.

Edited by kwc

I work with a supporter from another Region 4, 6A school. We went to their stadium and beat them this year. Our band does their thing like they always do. The following week ... not that Monday ... but later on in the week, like on Friday, he finally stopped avoiding me in the hallways. I guess he thought that I was going to gloat or something. Anywho .. he approached me and acknowledged the game and what have you.

"You know what I thought was really classless ... when our team finally made a play and got the ball close to the end zone ... your band starts to play! Your band is big and loud! It caused our team to not be able function"

I replied ...

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's the way we do things. It's a difference in culture."

He replied ... "You don't see them do it in college. You don't see Alabama or UT do that!"

"Your culture and experience comes from fans that pattern themselves after the large colleges like Alabama, and UT, and what not. It's not their/your culture for those teams to play when the opponent has the ball. Therefore, your experience is different then ours."

I elaborated further ...

"Whitehaven isn't like that ... our band is even different then yours ... our band, and our Friday night experience is patterned after HBCU colleges and games. Our band PLAYS during the game and they support our team. Our band's performance is totally different then yours ... our band patterns themselve after FAMU or TSU ... not Bama or UT. The atmosphere is different ... the halftime show is different."

Then I asked ...

"When's the last time you watched an HBCU football game on TV?" "When is the last time you attended the Southern Heritage Classic?"

I got no reply ... so I stated ...

It's Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for our guys to hear the opposing teams band to play when we have the ball, from the culture Whitehaven comes from. The players on the field just ignore it and focus on the play at hand. It's not new to us. It was new to you. What you call classless I say ... difference in culture"

The original question was about his schools playing while his school had the ball. But I will say what everyone is thinking..

It is band so who cares!!!

"You know what I thought was really classless ... when our team finally made a play and got the ball close to the end zone ... your band starts to play! Your band is big and loud! It caused our team to not be able function"

I replied ...

I elaborated further ...

Then I asked ...

I got no reply ... so I stated ...

Excellent post

The original question was about his schools playing while his school had the ball. But I will say what everyone is thinking..

It is band so who cares!!!

First, I know what the original post in this thread is about. I didn't respond to the original poster in this thread. I was responding to FBfan26 and his line of conversation 

Secondly, from your response i'm going to assume that your exposure to high school bands is some what limited. Most high school marching bands sound like high school marching bands. However, there are some high school marching bands that are a cut above your normal high school marching bands ... those are the ones that are on par with college marching bands ... or close to it. 

Whitehaven's band is such a band. It's large in number and it probably covers 70% of the field when they perform at halftime. When they perform, their sound is clear and distinct. When they play, you can feel the bleachers vibrate from the sheer force caused by how loud they play. They are a force to be reckoned with. They march and do a varied number of designs when they perform. The Drum Majors look like those you see for Southern University, Jackson State, and others. The Majorettes and the Flag Corp are all in sync and perform their routines with precision. The Whitehaven Marching Band has competed and won national marching band awards and honors in the past, and this one is no different. They travel and compete in various marching band competitions throughout the country. They, the marching band, practiced in the summer, longer the the football team, when football practice started. Those guys had been at it for a few weeks before the football team started. They work their tails off, and it is quite apparent when you see them perform at halftime.

They put in those hours because Whitehaven is known for it's excellent marching band program and a great deal of those young people get their college paid for because they can read music, march in formation, and play their instruments very well. Heck ... the band booster club is bigger then the football booster club.

I must admit, I'm spoiled because I think we have the best SHOW BAND in high school in the entire state. The Whitehaven fans love it when they, on purpose, arrive fashionably late, so they can march in and take their place in the stands. (We designate and reserve a quarter of the bleachers for the band) Their sound is fabulous and they play old school R & B, which has the entire stands rocking (example ... Earth, Wind, and Fire's 'Boogie Wonderland') When Whitehaven scores they play "I'm So Glad I go to WHS

I absolutely love our band ... I care, is who cares. I guarantee you that most Whitehaven fans care about our wonderful band ... they are a part of the experience on a Friday Night.

Throw in the fact that our football team is also pretty dog gone awesome, as well, and you are talking about a wonderful, rocking, fantastic Friday night experience.

Edited by kwc

First, I know what the original post in this thread is about. I didn't respond to the original poster in this thread. I was responding to FBfan26 and his line of conversation

Secondly, from your response i'm going to assume that your exposure to high school bands is some what limited. Most high school marching bands sound like high school marching bands. However, there are some high school marching bands that are a cut above your normal high school marching bands ... those are the ones that are on par with college marching bands ... or close to it.

Whitehaven's band is such a band. It's large in number and it probably covers 70% of the field when they perform at halftime. When they perform, their sound is clear and distinct. When they play, you can feel the bleachers vibrate from the sheer force caused by how loud they play. They are a force to be reckoned with. They march and do a varied number of designs when they perform. The Drum Majors look like those you see for Southern University, Jackson State, and others. The Majorettes and the Flag Corp are all in sync and perform their routines with precision. The Whitehaven Marching Band has competed and won national marching band awards and honors in the past, and this one is no different. They travel and compete in various marching band competitions throughout the country. They, the marching band, practiced in the summer, longer the the football team, when football practice started. Those guys had been at it for a few weeks before the football team started. They work their tails off, and it is quite apparent when you see them perform at halftime.

They put in those hours because Whitehaven is known for it's excellent marching band program and a great deal of those young people get their college paid for because they can read music, march in formation, and play their instruments very well. Heck ... the band booster club is bigger then the football booster club.

I must admit, I'm spoiled because I think we have the best SHOW BAND in high school in the entire state. The Whitehaven fans love it when they, on purpose, arrive fashionably late, so they can march in and take their place in the stands. (We designate and reserve a quarter of the bleachers for the band) Their sound is fabulous and they play old school R & B, which has the entire stands rocking (example ... Earth, Wind, and Fire's 'Boogie Wonderland') When Whitehaven scores they play "I'm So Glad I go to WHS"

I absolutely love our band ... I care, is who cares. I guarantee you that most Whitehaven fans care about our wonderful band ... they are a part of the experience on a Friday Night.

Throw in the fact that our football team is also pretty dog gone awesome, as well, and you are talking about a wonderful, rocking, fantastic Friday night experience.

No matter how good they are nobody cares. It is band

Last time I checked the band reportedly was to play while the.opposing team was on offense.... However it seems that there is a change in football protocol that I am not aware of..... Your own band blows their lungs out thanks to the directive of the band director while your team is on offense....and then the team has to call a time out...

Anyone else have or seen this new brilliant style of band leadership?

Really?   There is no rhyme or reason when the Rhea County band plays - or so it seems. 

High school stadiums are not really like college stadiums where the sound goes down and stays on the field.  They are more open - best I can tell, I have never seen the band disrupt the play one way or the other. 

For extreme clarity.... My post is about our own band cranking it up while we are on offense .....The opposing teams visitors bleachers are pretty high, steep and not that far off the field so sound does carry when the band is sitting on the 30yd line and our team is headed in from the 20.....

Bottom line when your school's FB team has the ball U DO NOT PLAY unless your team scores a TD or FG .....

Trust me I love the fact that students in the band play and compete,,, heck I even support one of their fundraisers,,, but when the band director acts like it's a joke while playing when our team is on O I have a serious problem with that...