#2 (6A) Oakland @ #4 (4A) Haywood

GoPats2019

Milan is a 3A team. I am no fool. I understand that there are several teams across the state in higher classifications that could destroy us.

That being said we have more hardware in our trophy case than any other team in West TN and 95% of the teams in the state regardless if class. 9 state championship appearances says it all.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like for you to study TN high school football. 3A Milan went to the State Championship game 2 years in a row recently. 3A Liberty Tech high school (who has been consistently good over the last several years) was in the state semifinals last year against CPA, and were undefeated until that loss.

White Station is a middle of the road team in Memphis. They have up and down years. But if you want to talk about consistency let's talk about the Ridgeway High School (4A), Trezevant High School (2A defending state champion who went in 4A the year before) Cordova High School (6A who just beat White Station last Friday and are 8-0). East High School (4A who lost to Pearl Cohn on the Semifinals last year). And imagine this Ridgeway, East, and White Station are all in a 6 to 8 miles radius of each other. Imagine if they took just one of those schools away. I'll do you one better Ridgeway High School is less then a 1/4 of a mile from MUS (Look up their record).

Please never guess research, because football is only different in the west because it is so diluted.

Not guessing. I looked up top schools from each grand division in the state in the last 10 years. Ridgeway and Milan were the only consistent winners during that stretch. That's 2 schools.

Don't talk about diluted areas. Murfreesboro and Williamson county have become very diluted, but have a consistent winner(s). Knox county is growing rapidly as well. 2A or 3A is the only classifications that West has a shot at, consistently.

Usually I take everyone's opinion and move on because everyone has that right. But with this argument all you have to do is look at deep playoff runs and championship over the last decade. I've said my piece and you have a right to say yours, but the facts don't lie.

I mean no disrespect and I hope everyone has safe travels the rest of the year.

Edited by JedCooper

Not guessing. I looked up top schools from each grand division in the state in the last 10 years. Ridgeway and Milan were the only consistent winners during that stretch. That's 2 schools.

Don't talk about diluted areas. Murfreesboro and Williamson county have become very diluted, but have a consistent winner(s). Knox county is growing rapidly as well. 2A or 3A is the only classifications that West has a shot at, consistently.

Usually I take everyone's opinion and move on because everyone has that right. But with this argument all you have to do is look at deep playoff runs and championship over the last decade. I've said my piece and you have a right to say yours, but the facts don't lie.

Ridgeway and Milan are more consistent than Whitehaven over the past 10 years in your opinion? Smh... Here's the issue, your facts don't take into account Memphis' competition level due to "dilutions" (I don't see it as a bad thing ), the fact that middle Tennessee has literally has every opportunity from the quarterfinals on to make the 6A State Title game due to the way the playoffs shake out and no its not because of talent it's because of proximity and match ups. There are a few dominant programs that make regions stick out their chest and it's literally a joke to me, but whatever lol. Hopefully we (Da Haven) see the Red Dragon in Cookeville more often so this theory can be put to rest. What I'm saying is the more we see them the more we'd beat them.

I don't think it's east and middle. The argument of a few dominate teams holds true for the east, but in middle TN it's a dogfight most weeks. I understand travel plays a huge role in all of this, but I think the original point was playing tougher competition makes a team more prepared come playoff time. I don't think that's one that can be argued.

With Henry county, while thy may consider themselves West geographically, they play a lot of middle TN teams.

West TN has some solid programs, not trying to argue that. Just saying some windshield time and tough losses make you better. 5A football in middle TN has teams prepared come playoff time.

Edited by eers

Ridgeway and Milan are more consistent than Whitehaven over the past 10 years in your opinion? Smh... Here's the issue, your facts don't take into account Memphis' competition level due to "dilutions" (I don't see it as a bad thing ), the fact that middle Tennessee has literally has every opportunity from the quarterfinals on to make the 6A State Title game due to the way the playoffs shake out and no its not because of talent it's because of proximity and match ups. There are a few dominant programs that make regions stick out their chest and it's literally a joke to me, but whatever lol. Hopefully we (Da Haven) see the Red Dragon in Cookeville more often so this theory can be put to rest. What I'm saying is the more we see them the more we'd beat them.

I agree with a lot your saying. But my original argument was that Middle and East overall have more better programs. It doesn't mean that there are not good teams or programs in West TN. Haven, station, Milan, Henry just to name a few. Back in the day those teams plus Humbolt, Bartlett, central-merry, Bruceton HR, Lake Co, Gtown, etc.....

All I'm trying to say is football is better in Middle and East. It maybe because there are more teams, it maybe because those schools have a better football culture, it maybe because there are more reporters to get the word out, it maybe.....

Are there great teams in every grand division, absolutely. Can a team from West beat a team from Mid or East? Absolutely, happens every year. But overall, in most cases, the middle And East teams come out on the winning side.

One point I want to make is nobody has mentioned that in 5A there are hardly any teams in West Tn. Not a whole lot in 6A either..... just a thought

It is amazing that you have done so much research, but your original post didn't even include Ridgeway, but now all of a sudden it does. LOL You are just talking and going off State Finals appearances alone. I could go all day trying to explain to you what I would assume you have not truly researched. Over the past several years Memphis or Jackson Area teams have repeatedly been in the State Semifinals game. Just last year East, Trezevant, and Whitehaven were all in the state semifinals (4A, 2A, and 6A). So much for your your research and facts. I want for you to give me more proof than the fact that middle or east Tenn send the same teams to the state semifinals or state championship every year.

Oh and there is no comparing as far as dilution when it comes to Memphis and Williamson County or Murfreesboro. Williamson County schools are Franklin, Brentwood, Centennial, and Ravenwood, Independence, Page (oh and they just open Nolenville). If there are more I couldn't name them because the only consistent winners in that group are Ravenwood and Independence. Centennial was a doormat until Brian Rector changed them around 5 years ago, and Brentwood had a year or two of prosperity behind Pemberton. I couldn't even get you to understand the level of dilution that takes place in Memphis with the advent of more charter schools, and in Jackson, Tn there are the 3 private schools (a town half the size of Murfreesboro does not need 6 high schools). Then you threw Rutherford County into the conversation with their 7 high schools. LOL You do know only two Rutherford County teams have made it to the state championship game in the last ten year right? Smyrna three times and Oakland once (Smyrna was 2-1 and Oakland won their only appearance). That's four games....four games now. Do you want me to start naming the Memphis teams that have been in that time frame or do you want to go "research" it for yourself. Start with Mitchell High School in 2008, and I'll let you handle it from there. 

I will say that I do believe this years 6A state champion will be Oakland though, but don't count out Whitehaven. 5A could be possibly Independence because all they lose was Nate Johnson to University of Michigan. 4A Will either be Catholic or come out of Memphis. 3A May very will come out of Jackson TN or the West Tn area. 2A Will more than likely be Trezevant repeating. 1A Will certainly come out of West Tn. Do you disagree with any of that?

I will say that I do believe this years 6A state champion will be Oakland though, but don't count out Whitehaven. 5A could be possibly Independence because all they lose was Nate Johnson to University of Michigan. 4A Will either be Catholic or come out of Memphis. 3A May very will come out of Jackson TN or the West Tn area. 2A Will more than likely be Trezevant repeating. 1A Will certainly come out of West Tn. Do you disagree with any of that?

Strictly talking about the this year portion of the post...

6A - Maryville or Oakland

5A - Almost certainly Middle TN and could be one of many teams

4A - Shocked if it's not Catholic, although I think Pearl Cohn is the number 2 team

3A - Not betting against Alcoa

2A - probably Trezevant

1A - I have no clue, but I'll give you that one

Point being in the top four classes I believe the winner comes from Middle or East TN. Not to mention the privates. Dilution, perhaps. Not sure, but I do agree that more Wesrt TN teams need to play some regular season games with Middle TN. There are some good teams in the West, but I don't think the region strength compares to Middle (don't think the East does either as far as region strength).

It is amazing that you have done so much research, but your original post didn't even include Ridgeway, but now all of a sudden it does. LOL You are just talking and going off State Finals appearances alone. I could go all day trying to explain to you what I would assume you have not truly researched. Over the past several years Memphis or Jackson Area teams have repeatedly been in the State Semifinals game. Just last year East, Trezevant, and Whitehaven were all in the state semifinals (4A, 2A, and 6A). So much for your your research and facts. I want for you to give me more proof than the fact that middle or east Tenn send the same teams to the state semifinals or state championship every year.

Oh and there is no comparing as far as dilution when it comes to Memphis and Williamson County or Murfreesboro. Williamson County schools are Franklin, Brentwood, Centennial, and Ravenwood, Independence, Page (oh and they just open Nolenville). If there are more I couldn't name them because the only consistent winners in that group are Ravenwood and Independence. Centennial was a doormat until Brian Rector changed them around 5 years ago, and Brentwood had a year or two of prosperity behind Pemberton. I couldn't even get you to understand the level of dilution that takes place in Memphis with the advent of more charter schools, and in Jackson, Tn there are the 3 private schools (a town half the size of Murfreesboro does not need 6 high schools). Then you threw Rutherford County into the conversation with their 7 high schools. LOL You do know only two Rutherford County teams have made it to the state championship game in the last ten year right? Smyrna three times and Oakland once (Smyrna was 2-1 and Oakland won their only appearance). That's four games....four games now. Do you want me to start naming the Memphis teams that have been in that time frame or do you want to go "research" it for yourself. Start with Mitchell High School in 2008, and I'll let you handle it from there.

That's quite a long post. I'm glad I was able to get the conversation going.

But you do realize as far as the semis go someone from West TN almost had to make it. That's how the brackets set up. And to my point most of the time West TN teams loose in the semis, it's the whole point I'm trying to make.

I think you missunderstood my original argument which was when it comes to the championship games most of the time it is Middle and East teams, I'm not saying West TN teams suck. There are obviously good teams.

I am a Beech fan. Beech has been very fortunate to win 2 gold balls. I watched them play Mitchell in 09 and Jackson NS in 12. Mitchell had the best skill guys we saw that year, but to Eers point their front line was one of the worst. Mitchell was a better team, but Beech had played better teams overall and escaped with a win. NS was a whole different ball game. They were the weakest team we played in the playoffs, I was shocked they were undefeated up to that point - which is one of the biggest reasons I feel the way I do.

All I'm saying is there are more quality teams in Middle TN and they are much more tested come playoff and championship time. Unless West can win at 3A and up on a consistent basis I won't feel any different. They have shots at 2A and 1A.

It's possible Haven or Cordova can make it to Maryville or Oakland, but I just can't imagine they would win - but in the game of football anything can happen....we will see how it shakes out.

Strictly talking about the this year portion of the post...

6A - Maryville or Oakland

5A - Almost certainly Middle TN and could be one of many teams

4A - Shocked if it's not Catholic, although I think Pearl Cohn is the number 2 team

3A - Not betting against Alcoa

2A - probably Trezevant

1A - I have no clue, but I'll give you that one

Point being in the top four classes I believe the winner comes from Middle or East TN. Not to mention the privates. Dilution, perhaps. Not sure, but I do agree that more Wesrt TN teams need to play some regular season games with Middle TN. There are some good teams in the West, but I don't think the region strength compares to Middle (don't think the East does either as far as region strength).

It all depends on classification when it comes to region strength of different parts of the state. How You can make the argument that yes 6a overall is toughest in middle tn the same could be said about 4a and 3a being dominated by the Knoxville area teams. Ex. In 4a alone last years Champion Catholic's 2 toughest games were 2nd round against Fulton (3pt win) and the next round against Greeneville (14 pt win after going in tied to the 4th). The past 6 state champs in 4a are all within 80 miles of each other on the eastern side of the state

It all depends on classification when it comes to region strength of different parts of the state. How You can make the argument that yes 6a overall is toughest in middle tn the same could be said about 4a and 3a being dominated by the Knoxville area teams. Ex. In 4a alone last years Champion Catholic's 2 toughest games were 2nd round against Fulton (3pt win) and the next round against Greeneville (14 pt win after going in tied to the 4th). The past 6 state champs in 4a are all within 80 miles of each other on the eastern side of the state

I will agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying region strength in general. Not disagreeing with you there Swipes.