Homecoming in Alnwick (WB vs HVA)

Governm

Starz,

I suspect the problem will remedy itself as more classes from the new middle school program come in. In my opinion, the younger guys on the team play harder across the board than the older guys. The reason being is the younger guys are coming from a winning culture. A lot of the older players played on losing teams at the middle school level and have been losing for three or four years in high school. That's not to say that there arent some upperclassmen that play hard, but there is a noticeable difference between in the amount of effort shown by the younger players that get significant playing time on friday nights.

FYI,  There are a few of those upperclassmen that never lost before they got to WBHS.  My son was one of a few on the team that went 39-1 in four years of youth leagues and four championships, and then went 7-2 at Carpenters with losses to Alcoa and Maryville.  So, not everyone was accustomed to losing before they got to WBHS, for some it was vice versa.  WBHS was a dumpster fire and there was a lot of issues that had to change before they were going to get close to winning on Friday nights, and a lot of those issues have been corrected or at least are a lot closer to being corrected than they were.

Next year you should see more success as far as wins.  They should be able to compete with everyone in the new region, except for Maryville.....and I understand they are taking Alcoa off of the schedule (not exactly sure why you put them on the schedule to begin with if you were going to take them off in 2 years, but no one ask my opinion), so you can add 5 winnable non region games to the schedule. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake is right. Winning at one level does not automatically translate to wins at the next level. There are lots of other variables: changing program support, different expectations, different coaches, team chemistry-then you got jobs, cars, and girls. I've heard high school coaches say they are ok with kids not even playing until their freshman year-that seems crazy to me. Hopefully the govs are making progress. I only saw 2 games this year: science hill and murvil.

FYI,  There are a few of those upperclassmen that never lost before they got to WBHS.  My son was one of a few on the team that went 39-1 in four years of youth leagues and four championships, and then went 7-2 at Carpenters with losses to Alcoa and Maryville.  So, not everyone was accustomed to losing before they got to WBHS, for some it was vice versa.  WBHS was a dumpster fire and there was a lot of issues that had to change before they were going to get close to winning on Friday nights, and a lot of those issues have been corrected or at least are a lot closer to being corrected than they were.

Next year you should see more success as far as wins.  They should be able to compete with everyone in the new region, except for Maryville.....and I understand they are taking Alcoa off of the schedule (not exactly sure why you put them on the schedule to begin with if you were going to take them off in 2 years, but no one ask my opinion), so you can add 5 winnable non region games to the schedule. 

jake it is finally nice to see someone bring some facts to this discussion. Obviously Governors 91 does not.

StrongX,

It doesn't guarantee success, but it will help and definitely wont hurt to have kiks from a winning culture. Winners have better attitudes than losers. That is just a fact.

I want to believe it as fact, but I'm not buying. I would agree that it doesn't hurt that kids who are used to winning START OUT with greater expectations to win than those who have lost all their games. So with the previous success at least they are starting out with the higher expectations. I may be splitting hairs with you but the seniors at WB did a lot of winning before they got there. I'm not sure the kids' attitude is the biggest problem.

I want to believe it as fact, but I'm not buying. I would agree that it doesn't hurt that kids who are used to winning START OUT with greater expectations to win than those who have lost all their games. So with the previous success at least they are starting out with the higher expectations. I may be splitting hairs with you but the seniors at WB did a lot of winning before they got there. I'm not sure the kids' attitude is the biggest problem.

Honest question for Strong X and Jake ... how many members of the 39-1 youth league are playing at WB now? And I really don't know, I'm curious. Did the Govs get the majority of them?

Honest question for Strong X and Jake ... how many members of the 39-1 youth league are playing at WB now? And I really don't know, I'm curious. Did the Govs get the majority of them?

No, they did not get the majority of them.  Of the 6 or 7 Seniors that get playing time on Friday night, 4 or 5  of them were on those youth teams, and one played one year for the Raiders in Pee Wees on a championship team and there have been a couple from those teams that played the first two years at WB and then gave it up.  As far as the Junior class, I would have to go over the roster to make sure, but I cant recall any of those guys as being Raider players.

I have slept since then but most went to WB, a close 2nd to murvil, at least one at greenback, oak ridge, and hairtage, a couple at Alcoa, several no longer play. Not sure of the point...

Stars, that's a good point. No question Coach Hammontree has changed the culture at Heritage.  They have also benefitted from dropping down a classification.  Unfortunately, I believe they have to jump back up next year.  From being up in the box on Friday nights, the most encouraging thing to me is the large number of sophomores & juniors who's names I've been calling out a lot.  I know everyone thinks (broken record) but in my opinion, I think it's realistic to think the Govs should be able to possibly win a couple more of these close games next year.  We've added a couple of good coaches this year and that has certainly helped.  The other key, as we all know, will be retaining those middle schoolers.  There's a couple of them that are as good as any I remember coming up in a long, long time.  And all across the board they will help.  We also have a behemouth six grader that I believe is going to be dominant.  They call him Bubba!

Schedule should help them a lot next year. I've heard possibly Loudon, Lenior City, Powell, Karns and Clinton as non region games.  WB should be a heavy favorite against any of those teams.

Schedule should help them a lot next year. I've heard possibly Loudon, Lenior City, Powell, Karns and Clinton as non region games. WB should be a heavy favorite against any of those teams.

My guess is that is half true. First of all, that's 5 teams. If WB is in a 7 or 8 team region that means we'll only have 4 or 3 non region games. If I had to bet, we'll probably schedule a cupcake or two and some good local teams for non-region opponents. Maybe we'll schedule OR and Greenback? Edited by Governors91