Hey Goons....

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was listening to the Milan pre-game radio show tonight and they interviewed coach Morris. About half way thru the interview they mentioned the possible district and Morris began to talk about possible games next year.

Said that it looked like we would have six region opponents next year and would keep traditional rivals Huntingdon, Trenton and Humboldt on the schedule giving us only 9 games. Morris went on to say that he has been in contact with Dyersburg about keeping their series going and had even been in contact with Henry Co.

At that point he mentioned that Rankin contacted him yesterday and asked about the possibility of playing next year and meeting somewhere in Nashville or Murphryesboro for a game. Morris said that if he could not work out something with Dyersburg or Henry Co he would love to do it.

Honestly I would too!! Here's to hoping we can't line up a week with Dyersburg or Henry Co and I can see you goons next year!!!

Why can't Lexington and Milan get an annual game?

Thought about the same thing.

For many years Milan was not in need of a game. We always had 6 district/region games and would fill the other 4 with our 3 county schools and Huntingdung. However several years ago we no longer played Gibson Co. I don't think it was our choice. They were 3A and had to play us but when they moved down to 2A they took up the Fulton City's of the world and I can't say I blame them.

Up until 4 years ago we were in a 9 team super region in the z plan days. Of those 9 teams we had to play 7 games. We filled the remaining 3 with Humboldt, Trenton and Huntingdung. But when we scrapped the z plan we moved to a district where we needed an extra game and we did pick up a 2 year series with Lexington. Both games were highly competitive. I really enjoyed.

But most recently we did have 7 region games until the loss of JCM. Then we got USJ for a year. As long as Milan has 7 region opponents the out of region will be Humboldt, Trenton and the Mustanks. Next year we anticipate 6. We will see what happens. Hope this was helpful.

Why can't Lexington and Milan get an annual game?

I can answer that. Hollingsworth doesn't want it. It was "suggested" to him a few years back that he schedule tougher opponents in order to better his team...Milan and Henry Co. were mentioned, but he didn't pursue. I have it on good authority that he called Scotts Hill to try and schedule them just last week...not the cupcakes that we once were, but will graduate most of our skill players this year, and shouldn't be a challenge. Hollingsworth is a good guy, but likes to schedule W's if possible.

It would be great for MTSU to host a weekend series of games of the top teams across the state each year.

It would be a win-win for all parties involved.

They have that kickoff classic they did this year where Ootelwah and Jackson North Side where the two out-of-town teams to represent. Obviously, both the Owls and Indians lost big time to Riverdale and Oakland. So a Milan and Alcoa could happen, just throwing that out! But I do think Oakland people are in charge of the kickoff classic at MTSU. I think it's a good idea! Hard to think it'll happen though.

I can answer that. Hollingsworth doesn't want it. It was "suggested" to him a few years back that he schedule tougher opponents in order to better his team...Milan and Henry Co. were mentioned, but he didn't pursue. I have it on good authority that he called Scotts Hill to try and schedule them just last week...not the cupcakes that we once were, but will graduate most of our skill players this year, and shouldn't be a challenge. Hollingsworth is a good guy, but likes to schedule W's if possible.

I was asking a loaded question for this.

I mean, it's just insanely frustrating. I once suggested to someone back there that they should try to schedule a home and home with Alcoa. Play the home game on a Saturday in Lexington and you'd have a HUGE gate of people there to see it. And plus, you'd really get a dose of what it is like to play power football at the highest level. Would be a huge thing for the program and help to take the next step. I even offered to get contacts to help make it happen. Of course, I was looked at like I suggested they call New England to play them instead.

On topic, a Milan/Alcoa regular season match-up would be great.