Dobyns Bennett at Science Hill

DBGRAD70

I used to think that he cares about the team, the program, and the school. He took responsibility for poorly played games. Not anymore. So what does that say? He has a chance to prove it right now. He should get behind a search for his replacement. Starting right now. No waiting for playoffs to conclude.

You're looking at a no win situation here for the players and fans. If Clark is involved in hiring a new coach he's going to go with a "good ole boy" already on staff.  And remember, the new AD was once on the coaching staff so he's a "good ole boy" also. He's not going to go for a established coach coming in from somewhere else because that coach would have to clean house to be successful. He's just not going to do anything that would cost his buddies their jobs. They've got this thing nailed down pretty good. I doubt you will see anything change for awhile. And when you do It's going to be another step backwards. DB football is toast.

My take has always been that there were some fine coaches on the staff  over the years like Watson and Holt,and there are still some fine coaches.I'd put money that GQ  could take this staff and build a power like DB had in the 40's 50's and 60's.He may have to hire one or two more to help with the defense along with the  strength and training program, but it would be done fast.I don't know some years if Maryville has enough to get to the semi's and darn if they are not playing for the title nearly every year.I always thought it was the system but found out that's not as big as what Maryville has when they get to highschool standing on the sidelines.

Edited by BatmanDB

You're looking at a no win situation here for the players and fans. If Clark is involved in hiring a new coach he's going to go with a "good ole boy" already on staff. And remember, the new AD was once on the coaching staff so he's a "good ole boy" also. He's not going to go for a established coach coming in from somewhere else because that coach would have to clean house to be successful. He's just not going to do anything that would cost his buddies their jobs. They've got this thing nailed down pretty good. I doubt you will see anything change for awhile. And when you do It's going to be another step backwards. DB football is toast.

Oh, I agree. My premise was that if he really cares for the school and the team, he would do this. He does not care. He cares for himself and maybe his coaches.

With the right man at the helm, I don't think many coaches would have to be relieved. I would love to see a real quality man, like GQ seems to be, running the program. You'd see a significant inprovement in one year - attitude and the coaching craft alone would be radical. 3 - 4 years would yield a serious playoff contender again.

But this seems to be a pipe dream.

My take has always been that there were some fine coaches on the staff over the years like Watson and Holt,and there are still some fine coaches.I'd put money that GQ could take this staff and build a power like DB had in the 40's 50's and 60's.He may have to hire one or two more to help with the defense along with the strength and training program, but it would be done fast.I don't know some years if Maryville has enough to get to the semi's and darn if they are not playing for the title nearly every year.I always thought it was the system but found out that's not as big as what Maryville has when they get to highschool standing on the sidelines.

I am truly sorry for your experience with your kids. It is just another reason for us all to be so frustrated.

A guy on another thread said that Smyrna's QB is out with a broken clavicle.

That is NOT, I repeat NOT, good news for anybody, especially those of us with kids who play sports and we always worry about injuries.   And I certainly wish the young man a speedy recovery.

However, does that change the dynamics of this game a little?     Does this give the DB faithful a little silver lining?

A guy on another thread said that Smyrna's QB is out with a broken clavicle.

That is NOT, I repeat NOT, good news for anybody, especially those of us with kids who play sports and we always worry about injuries. And I certainly wish the young man a speedy recovery.

However, does that change the dynamics of this game a little? Does this give the DB faithful a little silver lining?

It is true that we have lost our QB. Back up is more than capable. However we haven't lost anyone on defense. With the exception of the Oakland game we havent given up a lot on defense.

I am truly sorry for your experience with your kids. It is just another reason for us all to be so frustrated.

If they hadn't taken the love of the game completely away,I'd do what I could to get atleast one a championship next year on my old team.I'm the one that let my own down by moving up here to start with and help let all the other kids in Kingsport down by not working harder  to help cause some changes.Not that I could have done  a lot but those that could have are to blame the very most and the sad thing is, I doubt they will lose any sleep tonight.

If they hadn't taken the love of the game completely away,I'd do what I could to get atleast one a championship next year on my old team.I'm the one that let my own down by moving up here to start with and help let all the other kids in Kingsport down by not working harder  to help cause some changes.Not that I could have done  a lot but those that could have are to blame the very most and the sad thing is, I doubt they will lose any sleep tonight.

Didn't you say that your son played Freshman ball two years ago?  Would that make him a senior next season?   I'm sure the team would welcome him back, and he could possibly end his high school experience on a positive note athletically.  Still time to change things, both in the system , and for you and your son.  JMO

Didn't you say that your son played Freshman ball two years ago? Would that make him a senior next season? I'm sure the team would welcome him back, and he could possibly end his high school experience on a positive note athletically. Still time to change things, both in the system , and for you and your son. JMO

My son was disrespected and pushed to the point that he hates playing the game.He loved playing in the 9th for those coaches on both sides of the line.He started on the O-line in the spring game hurt .He was then already the strongest player on the team benching over 300 and squating over 450.He was disrespected in the weight room for goodness sakes because it took him longer to set up and unload his weights.Number two,A monkey could see with his speed,he should have been on the defensive side of the ball and not used as a pawn for one coach on the o-line .Number 3,he watched as his brother was also disrespected while trying to come back and help this weak team get strong.Could go on but one of these things alone should be enough for the average dad to see where I'm at.I'd love to see him play for the Devils but that's not going to happen either.Good luck to the Tribe players and the several coaches I really like. Edited by BatmanDB

Could it be the last game for Clark ? Couple rumors "that verbally he has said he is done " ...thats coming from someone that's is close to DB sports !! ........ I will believe it when it happens !! But from my understanding they will be grabbing a coach from elsewhere besides current staff ... Possibly GA or TN ... Anyway , it's all up in the Air until it's announced ;)

Could it be the last game for Clark ? Couple rumors "that verbally he has said he is done " ...thats coming from someone that's is close to DB sports !! ........ I will believe it when it happens !! But from my understanding they will be grabbing a coach from elsewhere besides current staff ... Possibly GA or TN ... Anyway , it's all up in the Air until it's announced ;)

I heard the same thing today, but heard the "replacement" they were talking about is a past player at DB with no head coaching experience. If true, talk about rolling the dice! But at this point I'd give Earnest T. Bass a shot at it. I still would be shocked if Clark doesn't announce his "retirement" before next season so they can honor him at all the home games.

I don't know who has the biggest dumpster fire.....DB or UT.

I heard the same thing today, but heard the "replacement" they were talking about is a past player at DB with no head coaching experience. If true, talk about rolling the dice! But at this point I'd give Earnest T. Bass a shot at it. I still would be shocked if Clark doesn't announce his "retirement" before next season so they can honor him at all the home games.

I don't know who has the biggest dumpster fire.....DB or UT.

If I were going to hire a coach that already is on the staff,he would have to give up baseball.Coach Wagner is a class act and players really like him.He would still need to get some help and make some moves.A top strength coach if DB wants to compete with the best.One or two more coaches that have been around the block like GQ has.