LEBANON FOOTBALL

BDP93

Here is the reality of Lebanon Football. Maybe the coach has something to do with it but I don't believe that's the problem here. Lebanon is a victim of their own towns political decisions. Their choices in not allowing residential expansion and concentrating on industrial and commercial expansion has caused the town to be choked off as it pertains to student body growth. Because of this over the past number of years the major expansion in residential has occurred in the out lying county areas. Thus the growth of Wilson Central. Families want to live where their children will thrive and until the good ole boy powers at be in Lebanon stop lining their own pockets with commercial and industrial business taxes nothing will change. Just look around at the fastest growing areas for high school football. They all have the same thing in common. A great growing residential community that is a draw to families. Lets face it, Lebanon is not an exciting town to live in unless your into fairs and antiques. And until the antiques in office in Lebanon wake up there is not going to be much of a change. Good teams have great communities and good coaches. You have to have a reason for someone to want to live there.

Very insightful and well said! Ultimately I feel no matter who they bring in with this current landscape in Lebanon they are fighting a losing battle.

Here is the reality of Lebanon Football. Maybe the coach has something to do with it but I don't believe that's the problem here. Lebanon is a victim of their own towns political decisions. Their choices in not allowing residential expansion and concentrating on industrial and commercial expansion has caused the town to be choked off as it pertains to student body growth. Because of this over the past number of years the major expansion in residential has occurred in the out lying county areas. Thus the growth of Wilson Central. Families want to live where their children will thrive and until the good ole boy powers at be in Lebanon stop lining their own pockets with commercial and industrial business taxes nothing will change. Just look around at the fastest growing areas for high school football. They all have the same thing in common. A great growing residential community that is a draw to families. Lets face it, Lebanon is not an exciting town to live in unless your into fairs and antiques. And until the antiques in office in Lebanon wake up there is not going to be much of a change. Good teams have great communities and good coaches. You have to have a reason for someone to want to live there.

Valid points. But, Lebanon has over 1900 students. That is like a small city! Growth is not the issue with lebanon.

they need someone that runs a wide open spread offense that excites players and gets them out to play.. also needs to be young so he can relate to the players bc a school that size with that many athletes shouldnt be that bad

Take Scott Smith from Franklin County please.  His offense is wide open.

Valid points. But, Lebanon has over 1900 students. That is like a small city! Growth is not the issue with lebanon.

And every team that Lebanon faces in 6A has 1800-2200 students as well....

The difference is that a good amount of people don't live in Lebanon. They use Lebanon as a start-up until they can actually go somewhere else to live.

Over 40% of the residences inside Lebanon city limits are rentals. In comparison to around 20% for most other areas.

So those 1900 students are coming and going. Its hard to build something when the pieces are constantly changing.

You add to that a school system structure that has kids coming into high school having played at like 4 or 5 smaller middle schools and it gets easier to see why they struggle.

Especially in comparison to say Mt. Juliet. Where most of the kids have grown up in Mt. Juliet. Where most of the kids went to and played together at a huge Jr. High in Mt. Juliet Middle.

harp is still leading the boys but the rumor is that the job will come open soon. is lopez just a defense coach? any experience on offense? never heard of him.

I would find it extremely unlikely that he comes back based on what has happened in the last 4 games.

- They lost to Ravenwood, Overton and Franklin by a combined score of 132-3.

- They blew a 27-6 lead against Antioch.

On top of the rest of the season.

- They lost 31-7 to Warren County (2-8).

- They lost 29-0 to McGavock which also happened to be their only win for the season.

- The only win for Lebanon was against 4A Portland (1-9).

- They lost to Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central for the 7th year in a row.

Will be 6-36 after next weeks loss to Whitehaven. That is a winning % of .143 in 4 seasons. As he leaves they are without a doubt the weakest 6a school in the state. They would get run over by a 2a school in their own county (Watertown) and a D2 school (FCS) that is having a rebuilding year themselves. It's one thing to be at a talent and numbers disadvantage, which Lebanon clearly is, but it appears obvious based on this seasons results that these coaches and players gave up on this season weeks ago. I thought at the very least LHS football would be in better shape post Harp than pre-Harp but as far as on the field results go I can't say that It is. Not sure TN legends like Quarles, Rankin, Bowers, Flatt, etc would fare any better. Just seems like a dead end situation.

I don't mean to be argumentative at all, but I can assure you that Quarles, Rankin, Bowers, Flatt, and many others would do better than Sam Harp.

I will argue with you. They would not do better. We will never know because they would never take the job. Rankin and Flatt both left jobs because they would not win it all. One left for Alcoa and the other got out and got back in when they could win it all. Put Harp at their respective schools now and he would do just as well as they are .

Edited by fb247

I will argue with you. They would not do better. We will never know because they would never take the job. Rankin and Flatt both left jobs because they would not win it all. One left for Alcoa and the other got out and got back in when they could win it all. Put Harp at their respective schools now and he would do just as well as they are .

Just for one example, I can't agree at all that Harp would have anywhere close to GQ's success at Maryville. But I can think of many people who could have had success in his situation at Danville, and I can think of a whole lot more who could have squeezed out more than 6 wins in 4 years at Lebanon.

You may be right. I'd love to be able to find out. Lebanon football has just been an absolute joke for so long. Haven't (legitimately) qualified for the playoffs since 07 or won a playoff game since 04. I see the atmosphere and enthusiasm at MJ/WC and just wonder when/if we'll see that at LHS

I think eventually it WILL return to LHS. It's impossible to say when it will or how long it will stay...but football is cyclical, and you'll have your day again. I really do wish the Blue Devils the best of luck, and I hope you all find a great coach