WBHS Schedule 2017

etcoach

I find it funny when everyone starts the armchair philosophy about classifications because teams like WB cant compete with Maryville or Alcoa. The last time I checked 90% of the teams in the state cant compete with Maryville and Alcoa. If we are questioning WB's ability to compete in the highest classification, just look at the scores. In the last 10 years, with the exception of 2015, most of WB's losses have been by 2 scores or less. If I was going to throw out a number i'd say WB has been competitive in 70% of their games in the past 10 years. To me, that is competing. WB is in the right class as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by SovietAlnwick

I find it funny when everyone starts the armchair philosophy about classifications because teams like WB cant compete with Maryville or Alcoa. The last time I checked 90% of the teams in the state cant compete with Maryville and Alcoa. If we are questioning WB's ability to compete in the highest classification, just look at the scores. In the last 10 years, with the exception of 2015, most of WB's losses have been by 2 scores or less. If I was going to throw out a number i'd say WB has been competitive in 70% of their games in the past 10 years. To me, that is competing. WB is in the right class as far as i'm concerned.

91, is that you, brah?

I don't have a whole lot that I'll say about the matter, but I can wholeheartedly say that Shad is NOT one of the best coaches in the state. He's probably the 5th best coach in Blount County. He only won when he had Sonny Gray and Rod Wilks (two of the all-time greats from Rutherford County), and squandered Blackman's best team ever. Maryville beat Blackman fair and square in 2013, but Shad sure did the Rebels a lot of favors with his coaching performance that game. So no, I don't think you can say he's one of the best coaches in the state

I'll say this about Shad. He is a pretty good coach, but he does have some wtf moments every now and then. Case and point, WB was 4th and inches vs Bradley and opted to get in the shotgun instead of going under center. It's kind of like Butch Jones, he may not be perfect but anybody with a brain can see he is lightyears ahead of Dooley. I personally like Shad and think he is a lot better than coaches we've had in the past.

SC, tell me your thoughts on this...

Alnwick could drop down in classification if they just counted the enrollment in the main building and made all freshmen ineligible for varsity sports...which includes tennis, golf and all the other minor sports where age is not a big factor.

This is permissible under TSSAA rules provided that 9th grade is on a different campus (which they are) and there is a separate administrator on that campus (don't know about that)

Alnwick enrollment would drop by 1/4 and probably put them in 4A or 5A.

REACT TO ME!

Correct.  However, at the Academy we do not have a separate "Head Principal."  Mr. Merritt is basically running the Academy but is still considered an assistant principal.  Mr. Clark is the head principal of the entire school.  If WB were to have two "head principals", then Heritage would have to have the same.

I have asked this question many times to the powers that be.  I have been told that even if WB decided to not have the Freshmen counted toward enrollment, that TSSAA would still have to come up with a number to pro-rate into the enrollment number for classification purposes.  What they use to come up with that number is to take classes 10-12 and come up with an average and then they apply that number to enrollment for the freshmen group for classification purposes.  So, the difference in the actual number of freshmen and the pro-rated number the TSSAA would use was still not enough to drop down in classification.  This is what I was told two years ago.

Gary...you are correct.  They would use a multiplier which would put WB right back in the top.

30-40 male athletes?  out of 900 boys?  

The old statement about there are tons of athletes walking the halls is a fallacy.  I know.  I have been here since 1999.  A huge percentage of the males spend their day at the CTE building and don't know where the football field is even located.

Out of the 11 games this year, 4 got out of hand.  Maryville (waste of one of my Friday nights).  Alcoa (another waste of my Friday night).  Science Hill (Fall Break where we always suck...next year we finally got a bye there).  Oakland (a waste of time and money and gas for everyone involved..TN vs TN Tech Like).  The other 7 games were entertaining, and unfortunately WB could not make the plays to win at the end.  

So, as far as competing, I think they did well considering that Maryville, Alcoa, and Oakland are on a different level.  However, being in 5A where Heritage was the last two years, most all of their scores were close and exciting games and I believe a year playing those teams would really benefit WBHS and the morale.

Maybe its not a Super 32.....but a SUPER 16 where you just take the Top 16 teams in the state and let them battle every night while the normal high schools play more entertaining contests.  Right now, everyone in 6A this side of Crossville is just playing for fun because Maryville has made a mockery of the game because they are so good.  It reminds me of the 1980s when TN women's basketball was just absolutely routing everyone.  While it's not their fault they were so dominant, it surely took away from the parity and enjoyment of the games.

I know Coach Quarles is truly excited about the challenge this Friday night, and surely the Maryville fans are excited also.  I mean even as a Tennessee fan I could have cared less to watch them play Tennessee Tech.  That's what it is like for GQ on a regular basis.