WBHS Schedule 2017

etcoach

The CTE classes take place during the school day.  They could find the field after school just like the 30-40 quality, could they not?  You don't have to choose CTE or athletics, that's ridiculous.  CTE is an elective class, usually 1 per day maybe 2 during the school day. 

Here's the real truth:  If WB was any good and had a track record of being truly competitive (not 2-8 competitive)  many more of these other 860 boys would want to be a part of a quality football team., and would be able to find the football field.  Bottom line is WB football has a losing culture and boys that could help build quality depth don't want to be a part of it.  The real challenge is getting a coach that is willing to work hard enough to change that culture and give these other 860 CTE boys a belief and a reason to be a part of it.  

How many high schools have more than 30 or 40 quality athletes? Especially schools located within 5 miles of two powerhouses that take athletes away from their student bodies? I'd wager not many.

Honestly.....30 to 40 quality athletes....it's not a bad number. 

Edited by MLREB

The CTE classes take place during the school day. They could find the field after school just like the 30-40 quality, could they not? You don't have to choose CTE or athletics, that's ridiculous. CTE is an elective class, usually 1 per day maybe 2 during the school day.

Here's the real truth: If WB was any good and had a track record of being truly competitive (not 2-8 competitive) many more of these other 860 boys would want to be a part of a quality football team., and would be able to find the football field. Bottom line is WB football has a losing culture and boys that could help build quality depth don't want to be a part of it. The real challenge is getting a coach that is willing to work hard enough to change that culture and give these other 860 CTE boys a belief and a reason to be a part of it.

I cant disagree with this. One of the things i've noticed is a lack of beef on the lines. Surely, there's a few Gov91 sized boys in the halls they can put in a good weight program and turn them into servicable linemen. In 6A ball you want linemen that are 6'2 or 6'3 and weigh 250 or better, not linemen that are 5'10 and weigh 210 or 220.

The CTE classes take place during the school day.  They could find the field after school just like the 30-40 quality, could they not?  You don't have to choose CTE or athletics, that's ridiculous.  CTE is an elective class, usually 1 per day maybe 2 during the school day. 

Here's the real truth:  If WB was any good and had a track record of being truly competitive (not 2-8 competitive)  many more of these other 860 boys would want to be a part of a quality football team., and would be able to find the football field.  Bottom line is WB football has a losing culture and boys that could help build quality depth don't want to be a part of it.  The real challenge is getting a coach that is willing to work hard enough to change that culture and give these other 860 CTE boys a belief and a reason to be a part of it.  

While I appreciate your perspective, I don't think you fully understand our demographic.  I am here.  I see the kids.  And your assessment of only being in the CTE building for 1 class a day is not accurate.  We have a lot of guys that are out there for half of the day if not more by the time they get to be Juniors and Seniors.  Also, the guys interested in CTE are rarely interested in playing any sport (not just football.)  If you are an Oak Ridge fan, then you cannot understand how different our two schools are in terms of population.

Also, as far as SHAD is concerned, I think he will be the first to tell you he was somewhat blindsided by how difficult it is here to win.  From day 1 when he was in the lunchroom looking for athletes, he asked me if there were any more lunches left????  I said...NOPE...what you see is what you get.  

Shad is a fine coach.  He works extremely hard.  We have had some good coaches before but you will notice even the good ones never could sustain winning for long periods of time.  Meadows was 3 for 4 which was about as good as it gets and, with the exception of the 9-3 season in 2007, the rest were like 7-4, 6-5, etc.   

I hope I have given some insight to reality here at WBHS.  It has been a slow discipline day so I have had a couple extra minutes to share the information.  I promise I am not trying to come off as an "excuse maker."  The bottom line is we have not won more than 3 games in a year since 2007.  It's not always the fault of the coach or the administration or whomever you want to blame.  Quite honestly, we have a pretty good 4A to decent 5A football program.  In 6A, we are what we Dennis Green said we were....not very good.

My hope is that Shad will stick it out because it is imperative that we gain some amount of stability.  I know he is happy here....except on Friday nights around 11PM in August-October.  We have tried hard to allow him to hire coaches the last couple of years and will continue to support him the best that we can.  I know he is high on his returning players as well as his middle schoolers which actually beat Maryville for the first time in a LONG TIME.  and, as far as I know, they are all planning on attending WBHS.

Out of the 11 games this year, 4 got out of hand.  Maryville (waste of one of my Friday nights).  Alcoa (another waste of my Friday night).  Science Hill (Fall Break where we always suck...next year we finally got a bye there).  Oakland (a waste of time and money and gas for everyone involved..TN vs TN Tech Like).  The other 7 games were entertaining, and unfortunately WB could not make the plays to win at the end.  

So, as far as competing, I think they did well considering that Maryville, Alcoa, and Oakland are on a different level.  However, being in 5A where Heritage was the last two years, most all of their scores were close and exciting games and I believe a year playing those teams would really benefit WBHS and the morale.

Maybe its not a Super 32.....but a SUPER 16 where you just take the Top 16 teams in the state and let them battle every night while the normal high schools play more entertaining contests.  Right now, everyone in 6A this side of Crossville is just playing for fun because Maryville has made a mockery of the game because they are so good.  It reminds me of the 1980s when TN women's basketball was just absolutely routing everyone.  While it's not their fault they were so dominant, it surely took away from the parity and enjoyment of the games.

I know Coach Quarles is truly excited about the challenge this Friday night, and surely the Maryville fans are excited also.  I mean even as a Tennessee fan I could have cared less to watch them play Tennessee Tech.  That's what it is like for GQ on a regular basis.

I don't think GQ has the "i could care less" attitude on a regular basis at all. He uses those game to build depth. Pulls the starters and lets the younger guys in. I've heard him repeatedly say  to never take any game for granted. I know you know him personally and play golf and all, but he never takes a "i could care less" look at anything he does. Remember he is 250-15 as the HC at MHS.

Serious question.  How can a guy take a job, buy a house and move his family into a community and be "blindsided" by a lack of talent?  Did he not visit the school?  Attend a few workouts, ask around?  Kind of look into what he was getting into?  The W-L records over the history of the school certainly would be a red flag concerning the talent level, I would think.  

Edited by oridgecat

Serious question.  How can a guy take a job, buy a house and move his family into a community and be "blindsided" by a lack of talent?  Did he not visit the school?  Attend a few workouts, ask around?  Kind of look into what he was getting into?  The W-L records over the history of the school certainly would be a red flag concerning the talent level, I would think.  

:popcorneater: 

Serious question. How can a guy take a job, buy a house and move his family into a community and be "blindsided" by a lack of talent? Did he not visit the school? Attend a few workouts, ask around? Kind of look into what he was getting into? The W-L records over the history of the school certainly would be a red flag concerning the talent level, I would think.

Maybe he watched film of the WB teams from the years right before he came? I dont know, just taking a wild guess there. In my opinion there was a lot more talent on the 2013 and 2014 teams. If he had come a year or two earlier he would have probably won more games. 2015 was a very lean year in terms of numbers and talent. This year was a big improvement, but we are still not quite where we need to be. Edited by SovietAlnwick

IF...BCBOE opened up the head coaching job at wb in football (or any school in any sport - even girls' volleyball) and advertised it as $150K/yr with no teaching responsibilities. Funded 10 assistant coaches and paid them $10K/yr in supplements with a promise of letting them help coach another sport nobody knows in order to double the supplement. THEN...I would expect wb to 'find" the right guys for the job. IMO - many of the best public school coaches in the state would be knocking on the door, and they would want to keep that job. I don't think wb would be talking about murvil, alcoa, classifications, shop classes, or any other reasons why it can't be competitive.

Instead, the commitment is not very good compared to other nearby school systems. Kids realize that. For the past 20 years people know that if you want to play HS football, go to murvil. If you want to play HS basketball, go to bearden. And if you want to play baseball, go to fairygut. When a system does not have the commitment and expectations, neither will the families and kids. Those that are looking for commitment will transfer and the others will occupy their time doing something else.

IF...BCBOE opened up the head coaching job at wb in football (or any school in any sport - even girls' volleyball) and advertised it as $150K/yr with no teaching responsibilities. Funded 10 assistant coaches and paid them $10K/yr in supplements with a promise of letting them help coach another sport nobody knows in order to double the supplement. THEN...I would expect wb to 'find" the right guys for the job. IMO - many of the best public school coaches in the state would be knocking on the door, and they would want to keep that job. I don't think wb would be talking about murvil, alcoa, classifications, shop classes, or any other reasons why it can't be competitive.

Instead, the commitment is not very good compared to other nearby school systems. Kids realize that. For the past 20 years people know that if you want to play HS football, go to murvil. If you want to play HS basketball, go to bearden. And if you want to play baseball, go to fairygut. When a system does not have the commitment and expectations, neither will the families and kids. Those that are looking for commitment will transfer and the others will occupy their time doing something else.

I have to disagree. I think Blount county has just as much commitment as any other school district in the area. You talk about forking out money to bring in coaches, but both county schools have quality coaches. Hammontree and shadowens have both won state titles. As far as coaching supplements are concerned, I'm sure most schools in the area are comparable. The only reason rankin or GQ make more money is their teaching salaries are higher in the cities.

As far as any other spending, Blount county is in the process of trying to upgrade both stadiums and add turf as well. So the commitment from the community is there.