Oakland vs, Whitehaven

Blaze45

You just can't drop back and throw willie nillie on the Whitehaven defense. The deep throw they made got picked and almost ran back for a TD.

He threw 1 deep pass in the 1st quarter, #11 from Oakland was wide opened and would have walked into the end zone, but the QB over threw him by a yard.. But that's part of the game..

Actually, Memphis was 4 for 8. But job well done regardless

He's correct. Memphis won four games out of the four that we had teams playing for the gold ball. He didn't mis-quote. You did however. We didn't have 8 teams playing in championship games.

Maybe one day in the future perhaps?

Edited by kwc

I just want to congratulate Whitehaven on a well deserved victory. Oakland came into the game with the nasty D and it was well deserved, but I think that Whitehaven D was just as nasty or nastier. Very impressed. And they won without a really good passing game which is a testament to how good that defense is. Congratulations to Whitehaven and their fans on a well deserved victory.

Coach probably didn't trust the kicker. Big penalty there.

I don't know if it were a case of trust, more then he realized the moment just may have been too big for the young man, so he took the pressure off of him and put the pressure on the shoulders of #8.

The kicker is a sophomore. He's a converted soccer player who never had played football. At the beginning of the season, he was so shaky, he missed PAT after PAT. As the season progressed, you could see him growing in confidence. Tonight, missing those PATs shook him to the core. #64 was talking to the kicker after that 2nd miss trying to encourage him. Coach Saulsberry probably didn't want to put that young man through that pressure cooker. He was probably thinking more about that young man's psyche more then anything else. I can't imagine what kind of effect it could of had on that young man's self belief if he missed another one. That young man might not snap back from something like that. That's what I think. He's young, he has time to build up his confidence to where he can execute under extreme pressure.

Edited by kwc

I can tell you that Maryville, believe it or not can run the ball fairly well against most teams. But tonight;s shutdown of the run game I think makes a a strong case that Whitehaven will not have a big dominating performance on the ground....they are going to have to try to dink and dunk and grind it out... I just don't think they are desgned for that

Watkins 23 Carries 135 yards 1 TD

Mosby. 8 carries 113 yards 1 TD