Whitehaven Football 2017

Haven04

Whitehaven scrimmaged against Northpoint Christian this evening. It went well. Got an opportunity to see some of the young guys get a lot of good hard work in. Got a change to see some of the future. The 1's and the 2's got some work in, but it was obvious that there was an opportunity to get some quality talent evaluations this evening.

Edited by kwc

Good scrimmage against Southwind. A whole lot of talent on the field yesterday. The DE from Southwind who has verbally committed to BAMA is a freaking BEAST! It is ALWAYS good to go against that type of STUD. The guys really got some good work in. #33 for Whitehaven got roasted twice by #7 ... it's hard out there for a pimp! LOL. 

I know he didn't sleep well last night. Getting burnt like that by a really good WR, when you are on an island as a CB at Whitehaven , will either make you stronger or break you down. I seriously doubt it will be the latter. He's got to realize that most QBs and OCs are going to avoid throwing in Rayshad's direction. He will learn. Every good CB that plays in an aggressive type of defense, such as the type which is played at the Haven, has to learn those types of lessons.

Keep your head up young man.

Edited by kwc

Few Thoughts on the Scrimmage:

The kid from Southwind that's Committed to Bama is LEGIT... He was a terror out there

I really like Whitehaven's Jared Lorenzen look back up QB. We may not be able to run that option with him but he's clearly the better passer of the 2 top QB.

Speaking of QBs, our starter is a dual threat but like #8 last season he needs to get more consistent passing the ball.

The Whitehaven LBs Corps will devastate the majority of the school around this state.

The CB opposite of Williams, the Vandy commit, looked like a 9th grader the way he was getting BOMBED on. The pass defense will need to improve.

Whitehaven once again got some big boys. It's gonna be hades stopping us from running the ball and for opposing teams to Run on us. 

Next week I look for improvements in the MUS scrimmage. Main thing I hope we improve on is keeping our head. A few times We were baited into some Macho Man stuff with an inferior team. I'm sure it wouldn't happen in the Playoffs but there's no need to start bad habits.  

We will be fine in the secondary. Had two potential starters,one who started several games last year (Josh Gray) who did not participate in the scrimmage. In real game situations you have to get 1st downs. You dont get 9 plays and then throw a bomb. Trust me we will be solid defensively this year. Maybe better?

8 hours ago, dannyq said:

We will be fine in the secondary. Had two potential starters,one who started several games last year (Josh Gray) who did not participate in the scrimmage. In real game situations you have to get 1st downs. You dont get 9 plays and then throw a bomb. Trust me we will be solid defensively this year. Maybe better?

I'm confident that we will be excellent in the secondary as well. We always are. That DB you just mentioned, Josh Gray, had his moment where he got burned last year playing against Jaylin Williams in the Germantown game. It's been like that with every DB that has played at Whitehaven in recent years. It's going to happen with the 'islands' we put our corners on.

If you play corner at Whitehaven ... you are going to have to constantly work on your cover skills because we play the most aggressive defense in high school football in Tennessee. Every corner that has played for us has had a moment like that, It comes with the type of defense we play. Come playoffs ... our corners and safeties cover WRs like blankets. Especially against the type of competition they face every year. It's also why we have so many DBs playing in college. I've refereed to Whitehaven as 'Defensive Back University' (DBU) in the past. Think about it ... since 2011-2012, almost every DB that has played a significant amount of playing time at Whitehaven has signed a LOI to be able to play on Saturdays. (Antonio Thomas, Derrick BoBo, Justin Hunt, Roderick Owen, Darrius Sims, Patrick Smith, Stevorious Kimball, Rodney Saulsberry Jr., Kerrick Jones, Donte' Vaughn, Jabril Malone, Aaron Johnson (A.J.), & Deniro Tillman)

I think we have the potential to be better. However, we lost a 4-year starter in Jabril at Safety, a 4-year starter in Shabar at at DT/FB , and another 4-year starter in OT/DT in Big Tyler Walton. NOBODY had the combination of size, speed, coverage skills, and ferocious hitting like Jabril. THAT being stated ... YES, we have the possibility of even being better defensively this year, then we were last year. Especially with the Talent and Depth that we have. This defense can really be SPECIAL.

Edited by kwc

Sunday Sports Brunch: Whitehaven star grows into SEC commitment

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 10:00 a.m. CT July 30, 2017

Devon Robinson

(Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Devon Robinson chuckles at the memory of himself as a younger player, when he packed just 215 pounds on a 6-6 frame. These days, he's looking the part of a big-time football recruit.

Robinson — a class of 2018 standout from defending 6A state champion Whitehaven — verbally committed last week to play his college football at Mississippi State. Verbal commitments are non-binding but the defensive tackle is expected to make it official on Signing Day in February.

He's the second Whitehaven player to commit to an SEC school this offseason, joining defensive back Rayshad Williams (Vanderbilt).

"It's a family-oriented place and I really liked that," said Robinson. "And I met with educational advisers and they really cared. It's just a great school ... I really loved it."

Robinson has always had tremendous potential but has worked himself into a top-flight prospect through dedicated hours in the weight room. He's up to 262 heading into the season and has room to add plenty more.

"Looking back on it, I was just a skinny kid at first," he said. "I think (weights) have been the biggest difference. That and getting better with my technique. I have to thank (defensive coordinator) coach (Errol) Harmon for always working with me on my footwork."

July 27, 2017 - Devon Robinson, center, runs a drill

July 27, 2017 - Devon Robinson, center, runs a drill during a Whitehaven High School football practice. Robinson verbally committed last week to play his college football at Mississippi State.  (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Robinson said he chose the Bulldogs over the University and Memphis and that he maintains "a great relationship" with coach Mike Norvell and his staff. But Starkville was the right fit.

On his now-customary announced on Twitter, Robinson made note to thank his grandfather, legendary ex-Whitehaven coach Stan Collins, for helping in his development on and off the field.

"He just tells me to be a leader," Robinson said. "And to show that I'm worthy of being a leader."

Robinson and Williams are on an impressive list of class of 2018 Memphians who have committed this offseason joining Southwind defensive end Jordan Davis (Alabama), Ridgeway athlete Kundarrious Taylor (Oklahoma), Cordova receiver Jacolby Hewitt(Indiana), Harding offensive lineman Will Lawrence (Virginia) and the Memphis duo of Lausanne lineman Nyle Love and Briarcrest running back Tyler Badie. MUS receiver/defensive back Maurice Hampton, in the class of 2019, has committed to play both football and baseball at LSU.

Devon Robinson runs a drill during a Whitehaven High

Devon Robinson runs a drill during a Whitehaven High School football practice. Robinson verbally committed last week to play his college football at Mississippi State.  (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Ex-Tiger Smith is OVC preseason pick

Former Whitehaven standout Patrick Smith has been named preseason offensive player of the year according to a vote of Ohio Valley Conference media members.

The red-shirt senior led the league in touchdown receptions with 13, while hauling in 61 catches for 966 yards. He caught a pass in all 11 games and takes a string of 21 straight games with a reception heading into the 2017 season.

Smith was the starting quarterback on the Whitehaven team that won its first state championship in 2012 with a memorable 36-35 overtime victory over Maryville.

TSU offensive lineman Thomas Burton, who also played at Whitehaven, was named to the preseason-all conference first team.

The Tigers were picked to finish third this season, behind Jacksonville State and Tennessee-Martin. Coach Rod Reed enters his eighth season in Nashville with seven offensive and eight defensive starters returning from a 7-4 team.

Ahmad Richardson (Cordova), Trey Goins (Germantown), Dell Porter and Justin Brooks (both Melrose), Earl Harrrison and Camren Jones (both Ridgeway) and Thomas Burton, Anthony Geter and Michael Perry (all Whitehaven) are the other Memphis-area standouts on this year's roster.

TSU takes on Jackson State in the annual Southern Heritage Classic on Sept. 9 at the Liberty Bowl.

59 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I presumed that it would be at MUS again. We went to MUS like 8 years str8 before they finally came over to Whitehaven a couple years ago.

Oh ... OK. If it was at the Haven, I would be able to stop by for a minute. If it is at MUS I won't be able to make it.