Whitehaven Football 2017

Haven04

On 6/26/2017 at 0:46 PM, kwc said:

Updates, per BHS request, from the Whitehaven Football Twitter page: Rashad Williams commits to Vandy

There have been offers to some juniors on the team. (Also a sophomore and a freshman) The list as follows:

Class of 2020 Offers:

#20, LB, Bryson Eason - Received offer from Ole Miss, Virginia Tech.

Class of 2019 Offers:

#81, TE, WR, DE, Cormontae Hamiltin - received off from Virginia Tech.

Class of 2018 Offers:

Since #13, WR, C.J. Biggins, III has officially transferred to Horn Lake (HS), MS ... there is no longer a reason to track his recruitment. I hope his senior year at Horn Lake is fruitful and satisfying. Whitehaven had big plans for him, but these things happen. 

#19, DB, Rayshad Williams - Univ. of Tenn., Ole Miss, Univ. of MemphisUniv. of Arkansas (Invited to Nike's 'The Opening' Regionals) went on recruiting visit to Miss. State, Vanderbilt Univ., Univ. of VirginiaVirginia Tech Univ., invited to play in the V7 Elite Playmakers All American football game(Shad's Top 5 as of June 9th), Univ. of ColoradoIndiana Univ., Jackson State Univ., Committed to Vandy

#82, DE/TE, Devon Robinson. - Arkansas hosted him on November 12th at the Arkansas/LSU game. Alabama hosted him on November 26th at the Bama/Auburn game. Again, I have no clue who has offered to date. (Invited to Nike's 'The Opening' Regionals). NorthEastern State Univ.,,  Austin Peay Univ.Western Illinois Univ., Univ. of Louisville , Univ. of MemphisMississippi State Univ.

Green = New since last post

Edited by kwc

6 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Does anyone know why he's transferring? 

I'm sure there is someone who knows. I'm not going to repeat what I've been told on here, only because it was shared with me in confidence.

I'm just going to wish the young man success at his future school and leave it at that.

It's nothing sinister or anything like that. These things happen.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:41 AM, kwc said:

I want to give a shout out and congratulate Whitehaven's own Patrick Smith (QB on the 2012 6A State Champion team) who is currently going into his senior year at my Alma mater, TSU, for being selected as the Pre-season Offensive Player of the Year for the OVC for Lindy's Magazine.

Go get'em Pat!

Whitehaven's Pat Smith is set to have a really big season at TSU.

3 of @tsu_football's top offensive threats from last year... Patrick Smith, Chris Rowland & Steven Newbold #BigBlueRising #Summer17

Edited by kwc

Just saw that Whitehaven still needs a 10th game now.  Their deal with Fairley fell through because it would have given Fairley 11 total games.  

Why can't Whitehaven get a game worked out with Manassas or Memphis Central or Liberty?  They both have openings that coincide with their desired date.  

Edited by howdoitknow

9 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Just saw that Whitehaven still needs a 10th game now.  Their deal with Fairley fell through because it would have given Fairley 11 total games.  

Why can't Whitehaven get a game worked out with Manassas or Memphis Central or Liberty?  They both have openings that coincide with their desired date.  

Do you think with Orentheus Taylor leaving Trezevant to be the coach at Liberty maybe you guys could work out a 10th game??  Would be nice if it would happen. I would pay good money to watch Liberty get beat down lol!!

Whitehaven football schedule clock is ticking on adding 10th game

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 4:49 p.m. CT July 7, 2017 | Updated 5:22 p.m. CT July 7, 2017

Rodney Saulsberry

(Photo: Mark Humphrey, AP)

It's six weeks until the first Friday of the high school football season, and it's looking ever more likely that the Whitehaven Tigers won't be able to fill their schedule.

The Tigers, who finished 15-0 and won the 6A state championship for the second time in  in 2016, are rapidly running out of chances to add a 10th game. A proposed game with Fairley — which would have required Whitehaven to play Thursday followed by another on Friday — fell through, and a replacement isn't likely to be found at such a late date.

"We want to give our student-athletes as many opportunities to compete as possible ... but I think at this point we've kind of resigned ourselves to just nine," said coach Rodney Saulsberry.

"It's been a massive headache. Treacherous."

It hasn't been for lack of trying.

Saulsberry said he has reached out to Waverly, which also only has nine games scheduled, about possibly playing at Austin Peay.

The coach has also appealed to TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress to see if he could help in any way.

"I haven't heard anything in the last week," Saulsberry said. "We also looked at some out-of-town opportunities, but the travel time was over six hours (drive)."

The scheduling problem came with the TSSAA's reclassification for the 2017-2021 school years. Whitehaven spent the last two years in Region 4-6A along with seven other schools.

But Shelby County's largest public school teams have been placed in two separate regions, leaving Whitehaven with seven non-conference slots to fill. The Tigers will play Central (Oct. 6) and Germantown (Oct. 27) at home and will visit White Station on Oct. 20.

The remaining games the Tigers have scheduled are equally difficult. They'll host perennial rival Ridgeway on Aug. 26 before consecutive games against 2016 state champs. Whitehaven hosts DII-A winner Lausanne on Sept. 8 before playing 4A title-winner East six days later.

The Tigers also take on two-time defending 2A champion Trezevant on Sept. 29. A rivalry game against Mitchell in the Whitehaven Classic on Aug. 19 and a Sept. 22 contest against Hamilton round out the slate.

It's more than enough to keep Saulsberry awake at nights. But you get the sense that the coach would rather replace 30-plus seniors every year — like he's doing this year — than go through another offseason like this one.

"(Financially) it's not going to be a great disparity for us," he said. "But obviously it's better to have 10 games than not have them."

Edited by kwc

On 7/8/2017 at 5:31 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Do you think with Orentheus Taylor leaving Trezevant to be the coach at Liberty maybe you guys could work out a 10th game??  Would be nice if it would happen. I would pay good money to watch Liberty get beat down lol!!

I don't know BPM. I'm quite sure that the word is out that Whitehaven needs a 10th game, and that they (Whitehacen) are searching and calling and reaching out. I'm in let's wait and see mode. I know the article states that he has tried to fill the schedule with a 10th. I'm in no position to say who has been contacted and who hasn't. I'm going to assume that the Whitehaven coaches have contacted quite a few, and leave it at that. However, if the HC can't get a 10th game, then Whitehaven will probably roll with 9. That is how I interpret what was published in the CA article. If that's the case, then so be it. Let's get the show on the road.

It is what it is.

Edited by kwc