Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

Concerning the rebel flag all I will say as a white male with a biracial child at that is to just place yourself in a black person's shoes and you will see things concerning that flag very differently. As white people there's no way for us to justify anything that flag represents, because to a black person it represents slavery, hate, and murder. End of story.

I appreciate everyone keeping things civil to this point. I think there is a great dialog to be had here, so I'd like to add to the discussion. I hope others will follow and continue to keep things civil.

I'm white, I was born and raised in east TN, although neither of my parents are from the south; my dad grew up in central Ohio, while my mom was a USAF "brat" (born in the UK, grew up in western Ontario and NW Ohio). I'm a "to each his own" kind of guy, so I understand that the aforementioned flag means something very different to a lot of folks. I'm in my mid-30s, and I'll admit that I continue to struggle with that flag and what it represents (to me). However, there's another aspect of this debate that rarely gets brought up, and I think it deserves to be pointed out.

Seeing people in east TN defend that flag as part of their "heritage" is difficult for me to stomach, as a history buff. I love east TN, and I am proud to call it my home, but if we are specifically defending that flag as part of this region's heritage, then we are denying the proven fact that east Tennesseans were overwhelmingly sympathetic to the Union cause during the Civil War; 70% of east TN (90+% in many rural counties) opposed the secession ordinance, compared to the ~86% of middle/west TN voters who favored secession from the Union. Heck, East TN came within a whisker of pulling a West VA in 1861; if not for the state legislature rejecting the proposal (which shouldn't come as a surprise, since middle/west representation supported the Confederacy), it likely would have happened.

150 years later, this gets lost on many East Tennesseans, and I'm not sure why. I'm proud of the fact that this region stood against secession during the Civil War, yet I can't understand why so many folks proudly sport the flag that their great-great grandparents stood against, and many risked their lives to take that stance. I guess my hope is that if we're really going to celebrate and honor our region's heritage, we probably should get our story straight. Just some food for thought.

Edited by osunut2

KWC,

I am a white guy and I worked an event in Knoxville with a black guy. We hit it off right away and laughed and joked like it was going out of style. At some point, another guy brought up the topic of the rebel flag and the black guy quickly said "I could never be friends with somebody who likes the rebel flag as a symbol". At which point I said "So you wouldnt be friends with me if I had a rebel flag bumper sticker on my truck even though we have a lot in common and get along very well?" He was silent for a long time and finally said "no". I didnt feel any ill will towards him for saying that, but I was disappointed that he would let something that seemed so trivial to me get in the way of friendship. When it comes to symbols like the rebel flag it's important to remember that symbols only have meaning if we attach meaning to them.

It obviously has some deeper meaning to you, you attached the rebel flag to you bumper to show everyone.

Why is there a big discussion about A mans skin color? I don't care if my coach has orange skin. JUST WIN GAMES. Bryson Rosser is a dang good coach. Central was awful just a couple years ago, now they are playing for state championships.

There's talk that Rosser might come to Maryville as an assistant. Then it was posted that a black man wouldn't coach at Maryville because of the flag (we have a black coach)

There's talk that Rosser might come to Maryville as an assistant. Then it was posted that a black man wouldn't coach at Maryville because of the flag (we have a black coach)

Wow... getting Rosser as an assistant would be a huge get for Marryville. I've heard rumbling of him possibly going to the college level as an assistant/ WR coach.

Rosser is not coming to Maryville as an assistant, or HFC for that matter.  If this were a wide-open search then I would love for Rosser or any other minority candidate to be in the running, but this isn't a wide-open search.