Oak Ridge vs Knox Catholic ?

Bravey

I think Jody Wright probably knew Fulton was overmatched by Oak Ridge when he scheduled them. Last year, Oak Ridge beat Fulton by 50 and Fulton ended up winning the AA state title and Oak Ridge didn't even make the AAA state tournament. Fulton closed the gap on them a little this year but Coach Green obviously called off the dogs in the 4th quarter.

Edited by Norman Dale

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jody Wright probably knew Fulton was overmatched by Oak Ridge when he scheduled them. Last year, Oak Ridge beat Fulton by 50 and Fulton ended up winning the AA state title and Oak Ridge didn't even make the AAA state tournament. Fulton closed the gap on them a little this year but Coach Green obviously called off the dogs in the 4th quarter.

of course he knew he was overmatched .. Coach Wright been doing this a long time  ..he knows playing the best competition helps you .. last year OR won by 50 .. one thing about kids they have very short memory .. they could have played the next night and the Fulton guys would think they would win .. but when you playing a team that starts (3) 6'5 athletes ... you know your overmatched .. hopefully it will help them in tournament .. im sure Coach Green did call off the dogs but by looking at scores for the year .. looks like OR beat a bunch of folks by 30, 40 , 50 and even 60 points ... so they have the best talent in ET for sure ...  

Heck Fulton aint had  6'5 player in about 15 years or so .. they lucky if they get one close to 6'3 .. Im sure Coach Wright would love to have at least 1 of those OR guys inside ... but he has won State championships with small lineups against taller competition ...  

of course he knew he was overmatched .. Coach Wright been doing this a long time  ..he knows playing the best competition helps you .. last year OR won by 50 .. one thing about kids they have very short memory .. they could have played the next night and the Fulton guys would think they would win .. but when you playing a team that starts (3) 6'5 athletes ... you know your overmatched .. hopefully it will help them in tournament .. im sure Coach Green did call off the dogs but by looking at scores for the year .. looks like OR beat a bunch of folks by 30, 40 , 50 and even 60 points ... so they have the best talent in ET for sure.

You are exactly right that it helps Fulton to play that kind of competition.... last year proves it, just like it helped them in 2008 & 2009 to play Bearden when they were loaded. Jody never ducks anybody in ET and it has worked well for him. I guarantee you that Fulton will be well prepared for the tournament this year like they always are.

Edited by Norman Dale

You are exactly right that it helps Fulton to play that kind of competition.... last year proves it, just like it helped them in 2008 & 2009 to play Bearden when they were loaded. Jody never ducks anybody in ET and it has worked well for him. I guarantee you that Fulton will be well prepared for the tournament this year like they always are.

Knox Catholic will be right there knocking on the door ... they are very good I hear .. and Alcoa ..so it will be interesting ... cant remember how many teams have a chance to make it to state from this area ... I know there are sub state games so dont know who is good from Upper ET .. there may be chane that KC and Fulton , or KC and Alcoa or Fulton and Alcoa could make it to state .. I think Fulton and Carter both went in the same year not too long ago  

Heck Fulton aint had  6'5 player in about 15 years or so .. they lucky if they get one close to 6'3 .. Im sure Coach Wright would love to have at least 1 of those OR guys inside ... but he has won State championships with small lineups against taller competition ...  

Well, besides this SR class we rarely have more than one starter who is 6'4-6'5. The Center for OR when Green first got here was Spencer Shoffner, he was all of 6'2'', but went on to have a great career @ Maryville College. After him came Isaac Merrian, who was lucky if he was 6'5, but was closer to 6'4'', but had great leaping ability. It's pretty rare in HS, especially around these parts to have more than two kids in the starting lineup who are 6'4 or better, and we have had 4 the past 3 years, including Bush. We have been blessed. Next year we go back to reality playing with smaller kids like we have generally almost always had. 

Well, besides this SR class we rarely have more than one starter who is 6'4-6'5. The Center for OR when Green first got here was Spencer Shoffner, he was all of 6'2'', but went on to have a great career @ Maryville College. After him came Isaac Merrian, who was lucky if he was 6'5, but was closer to 6'4'', but had great leaping ability. It's pretty rare in HS, especially around these parts to have more than two kids in the starting lineup who are 6'4 or better, and we have had 4 the past 3 years, including Bush. We have been blessed. Next year we go back to reality playing with smaller kids like we have generally almost always had.

Have you seen Knoxville Christian? Their starters are 6'10, 6'8, 6'5, 6'3 and 6'3 one senior starter and sophomores. The 6'8 kid is freakishly athletic and still learning the game. 6'10 kid shoots threes. Grace is very tall as well but I have to agree that's not usually the norm around these parts.

Have you seen Knoxville Christian? Their starters are 6'10, 6'8, 6'5, 6'3 and 6'3 one senior starter and sophomores. The 6'8 kid is freakishly athletic and still learning the game. 6'10 kid shoots threes. Grace is very tall as well but I have to agree that's not usually the norm around these parts.

Well, but aren't they a private though? I guess tuition schools have that luxury. But, yeah, not the norm. I've come to find out that tall doesn't necessarily translate to being a good BB player, but it surely helps. With Green's style you have to be able to move well and play great D, and a lot of bigger kids have trouble with his style doing that. The ones we have had luckily have been very athletic as well.