W.E.B.Dubois in Memphis

UCSportsFan

Someone tell me how a team goes from winning one game last year to winning all but 3 this year?  Something doesn't sound right about this but its Memphis so you never know.  Did this school get a bunch of kids to move in from other schools?  Someone enlighten us on how this team turned it around in one year.  I'm not saying it can't happen just wondering what the magic formula is for this team.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of players transferred and sat out last year. They are legit.

Ok so they transferred in an sat out last year?  I'm good with that then!  So why W.E.B?  What made them all choose this school?  I'm truly asking a legitimate question here so please don't take this as anything but that.  Is this a new school? Better teaching? Coaching?

Ok so they transferred in an sat out last year?  I'm good with that then!  So why W.E.B?  What made them all choose this school?  I'm truly asking a legitimate question here so please don't take this as anything but that.  Is this a new school? Better teaching? Coaching?

Not sure how true it is but I heard that the kids who are there now all play for the same AAU team which is coached by W.E.B's coach. So they have been playing together for years. Probably why they chose WEB. Like I said, that's just what I was told. However they did it, I went and checked them out and they're the real deal foreal. I was also told by a coach in Memphis that WEB had a scrimmage against East at the early part of the season and lost by 1. I would have loved to see that.

Edited by MrOct1031

Their coach runs a playing style that fits his team. He doesn't mind giving up points as long as they are executing. The press for 32 minutes attempt over 30 threes a game and get alot of turnovers. Around the third quarter their opponents are exhausted and the threes falling can be overwhelming. He has the right players to run this style, 4 extremely quick guards and a 6'4 shooter who is among the best. Their AAU team isn't much to look into, just a local club not one of the big shoe teams. And 4 of them sat out last year after transferring as someone already said, so no one can complain about them not being legit. 

Not sure how true it is but I heard that the kids who are there now all play for the same AAU team which is coached by W.E.B's coach. So they have been playing together for years. Probably why they chose WEB. Like I said, that's just what I was told. However they did it, I went and checked them out and they're the real deal foreal. I was also told by a coach in Memphis that WEB had a scrimmage against East at the early part of the season and lost by 1. I would have loved to see that.

It's true. Their style isn't some you see often. East isn't made to play like that honestly, they aren't a team full of runners like WEB. Granted East was banged up early on and penny did give everybody minutes. 

Their coach runs a playing style that fits his team. He doesn't mind giving up points as long as they are executing. The press for 32 minutes attempt over 30 threes a game and get alot of turnovers. Around the third quarter their opponents are exhausted and the threes falling can be overwhelming. He has the right players to run this style, 4 extremely quick guards and a 6'4 shooter who is among the best. Their AAU team isn't much to look into, just a local club not one of the big shoe teams. And 4 of them sat out last year after transferring as someone already said, so no one can complain about them not being legit. 

This is the point i was making on the other thread.  Coaches over here just don't get 4 players of this caliber to show up.  Heck they don't even get one!  The only thing i would be careful of is that the head coach is not allowed to coach his team in AAU.  That is a violation of TSSAA rules if I'm not mistaken.  The fact that these kids sat out a year is astounding giving this is Memphis we are talking about but they did it by the rules and i have zero issues with that.  Good luck to them and if they end up winning it all then my hats off to them because they did it the right way!

This is the point i was making on the other thread.  Coaches over here just don't get 4 players of this caliber to show up.  Heck they don't even get one!  The only thing i would be careful of is that the head coach is not allowed to coach his team in AAU.  That is a violation of TSSAA rules if I'm not mistaken.  The fact that these kids sat out a year is astounding giving this is Memphis we are talking about but they did it by the rules and i have zero issues with that.  Good luck to them and if they end up winning it all then my hats off to them because they did it the right way!

Dude these kids aren't that good on a individual basis is what im saying. It's the system. All of the kids there except for Conrad are virtually no-names, and Conrad is only receiving attention as of late. Their best players could transfer to other good schools and would be solid bench options. First you guys complain of the top tier players, now you complain about role players executing a system. An old coach of mines would always tell me "scheme beats team, when the team doesn't have a good scheme" and that's true here. 

The AAU program isn't a serious thing. They did a few small tourneys thats about it. They are not Team Penny, Thad, M33M, or Memphis Magic. 

Edited by TonyG

Dude these kids aren't that good on a individual basis is what im saying. It's the system. All of the kids there except for Conrad are virtually no-names, and Conrad is only receiving attention as of late. Their best players could transfer to other good schools and would be solid bench options. First you guys complain of the top tier players, now you complain about role players executing a system. An old coach of mines would always tell me "scheme beats team, when the team doesn't have a good scheme" and that's true here. 

The AAU program isn't a serious thing. They did a few small tourneys thats about it. They are not Team Penny, Thad, M33M, or Memphis Magic. 

Find one post on this thread where i complained about this team.... I agree with your old coach, a good scheme will beat a good team of individual players.

Edited by UCSportsFan

Dubois is a Charter School.

If he is the AAU coach he isn't supposed to coach any of his kids that play for him or any 8th graders that will play for him.

That is a major violation.

Word is the TSSAA is really putting a case together against East for all the ties to Team Penny and East.

Dubois is a Charter School.

If he is the AAU coach he isn't supposed to coach any of his kids that play for him or any 8th graders that will play for him.

That is a major violation.

Word is the TSSAA is really putting a case together against East for all the ties to Team Penny and East.

If that is the case with East I wonder if that could affect past Championships if found that they're in violation.

If that is the case with East I wonder if that could affect past Championships if found that they're in violation.

Penny is not the Head Coach at East nor is he the Head Coach for his 17U EYBL, so what's the problem? Most of the players are zoned to East because they went to Lester. I hope TSSAA come correct, because Penny money is long and I'm sure he will have his lawyers on standby