2017 D1 Players from West Tennessee

justdunkit

I think a lot of people view high school sports different, especially from the ladies game. 

If my daughter had offers from UAB, South Alabama, Tulane, Arkansas State, and Western Kentucky, then I would strongly consider her going to one of those schools (Not SEC but it is not Ohio Valley)

But if my daughter had offers from a UT-Martin, Murray State, Chatt, then I would probably let her consider the D-2 route.

At the end of the day, it is her choice. But if my daughter does have offers from the teams I said first, but ended up at Union, then we would probably have to talk.

Nothing against the lower-tier D-1 schools and D-2 schools.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that there is a line, but it is her choice and at the end of the day, she is going to a University for a discounted price or a full ride, so I'll be happy.

I think a lot of people view high school sports different, especially from the ladies game.

If my daughter had offers from UAB, South Alabama, Tulane, Arkansas State, and Western Kentucky, then I would strongly consider her going to one of those schools (Not SEC but it is not Ohio Valley)

But if my daughter had offers from a UT-Martin, Murray State, Chatt, then I would probably let her consider the D-2 route.

At the end of the day, it is her choice. But if my daughter does have offers from the teams I said first, but ended up at Union, then we would probably have to talk.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that there is a line, but it is her choice and at the end of the day, she is going to a University for a discounted price or a full ride, so I'll be happy.

You do realize that UT-Chatt. just won a conference championship this season, and playing in the NCAA tournament. UT-Martin has one of the best coaches in mid-major basketball in McMillan.... and he was just in the NCAA tournament a few years ago...

Murray doesn't have a coach right now, so I could understand that.... It's all about the right fit..

UAB, South Alabama, and Arkansas State finished in the last part of the conference... your post is kind of funny if you dissect it a little...

Edited by GCPioneer

There are several factors that determine what level a kid plays at. 1) Location is very important to alot of the ladies. Union, Bethel, and Freed Hardeman are all nationally ranked programs that are close to home for kids in rural West Tn. 2) Playing time is also important. Why wait 2-4 years for the opportunity for major minutes when you can come in and make an immediate impact at the smaller schools? SIZE - lots of D1 teams have guards that are 5'9 and up. Around here, if you're that size there's a chance you'll be in the post...lol. I know for a fact that UTM is getting a point guard next season that's an honor student that had multiple high D1s interested, but wanted to stay close to home. Our area has plenty of potential D1 talent, but the smaller schools here are strong and offer good educations and playing time. Those options sound awfully good to most players.

Main thing is, 60 percent are NAIA/D2 players. Nothing wrong with that. Shutes (2018) will play D1 ball, so will Miller from South Side (2019)

Hardaway from Bolivar(2019), Graves from Westview (2018), Moore and Darby from Greenfield (2020) Our talent is in the younger classes.

I cant get over this thread and some of the crazy posts that dmm888 has made. I would agree with you that all of these girls you mentioned will have the "opportunity" to play at a D1 school, but as previous posters have said, many times a D2 school or a highly ranked NAIA school is a better fit. Some of these girls may just snub D1 to playD2. You never know. You are thinking like a guy, just like I used to. You think anything short of D1 is failure. Over the last 10-12 years I have been shocked to see some incredible female "D1" athletes in different sports choose D2 and NAIA schools and have opened my eyes that it is different for girls. Perhaps the most eye opening was Kayla Hudson (Irvin now I think) from Gleason. She was a straight up baller 10 years ago and chose Union (then NAIA) over what i can only assume were several D1 offers. She had a phenominal career and is now an outstanding coach makinging more money than 80% or more of all WNBA players.

Also, make a list of all the 2017 players that are playing at the next level and compare it to the number that play in the next three classes since "all of west tennessee talent is in the younger classes" and I bet you will find that this class has twice as many "next level" players.

Edited by burnalittle

You do realize that UT-Chatt. just won a conference championship this season, and playing in the NCAA tournament. UT-Martin has one of the best coaches in mid-major basketball in McMillan.... and he was just in the NCAA tournament a few years ago...

Murray doesn't have a coach right now, so I could understand that.... It's all about the right fit..

UAB, South Alabama, and Arkansas State finished in the last part of the conference... your post is kind of funny if you dissect it a little...

Did you go through the internet to look up your argument? Good job! Not being sarcastic at all, I have no idea where UAB, South Alabama, and Arkansas State are at in women's basketball. Just stating teams that relatively close to the West Tennessee area that are D-1 schools but aren't SEC schools. 

Did you go through the internet to look up your argument? Good job! Not being sarcastic at all, I have no idea where UAB, South Alabama, and Arkansas State are at in women's basketball. Just stating teams that relatively close to the West Tennessee area that are D-1 schools but aren't SEC schools.

HA!... no I didn't go through there and look it up, I actually follow the women's game a lot more than the average person. I watched UAB play this season, know someone on the Arkansas State staff, and just know South Alabama hasn't been good in a long time...

What year is your daughter? I bet you look back on this post when she is a junior and laugh at it.

2017 was a weak senior class. The local standouts: Pratt(CC), Bromley(LEX), Cunningham(SS), Keith(HUNT), Pearson(BRU) and the others I didn't name are either headed for NAIA schools or Division 2 schools.

I dont think it was necessarily a weak class.  We sent four teams from the area to state, five if you count DII.  All those teams had some seniors leading the way.  I think one of the major setbacks for girls in this area is exposure OUTSIDE of this area.  I know personally 3 out of the 4 girls that got D1 offers play on travel teams.  I know personally that Crawford and Shutes play travel ball extensively and are recruited heavily.  Travel ball is not cheap and I would love to see a travel team for the West TN area.  I think that maybe the major reason we dont see so many offers.  What do you think? 

100 percent honest. We could have a elite local travel team IF someone would step up and do it.

Off the top of my head I know this year several from Peabody, Greenfield, Dresden, Westview, USJ, Crockett, South Side, Haywood and TCA are playing real AAU ball this spring. Maybe it will help catch the west up with everyone else from the Middle and East parts of the state.

I dont think it was necessarily a weak class.  We sent four teams from the area to state, five if you count DII.  All those teams had some seniors leading the way.  I think one of the major setbacks for girls in this area is exposure OUTSIDE of this area.  I know personally 3 out of the 4 girls that got D1 offers play on travel teams.  I know personally that Crawford and Shutes play travel ball extensively and are recruited heavily.  Travel ball is not cheap and I would love to see a travel team for the West TN area.  I think that maybe the major reason we dont see so many offers.  What do you think? 

I think that you are partially right.  There has been travel ball in West TN for at least 10 years.  In fact, the "weak 2017 class" had a team that were AAU state runners up twice between 3rd and 8th grade.  The problem is that after the 8th grade, girls usually make a decision as to whether to continue travel sports or not and teams start to dilute.  West TN can still continue to field teams but they cannot compete with the elite teams from across the country post dilution.  And if you can't compete with the elite teams from across the country and you play second and third tier teams at Exposure tournaments, then noone comes to watch you play much less to recruit you.  The elite players that want to play at the next level then go play with teams out of Memphis and Nashville.

To my knowledge there are four ladies committed to D1 schools this year. Jones (MTSU), King (SIUE), Pipkin (UTM) and Perry (UTM).  Are there any others out there that I may have missed?  If not, why do you think an area so rich in girls basketball have so few D1 commits?

Ashtyn Baker (Liberty University)