GreenEville @ Science Hill

DevilMan03

I think one key in this game that people are overlooking is big-game experience.  Granted, this is a regular season non-conference game in week 4, but it has a big-game feel to it and I bet the atmosphere will feel like a playoff game Friday night.  With that said, Greeneville has been in those types of games significantly more than Science Hill over the last several years, including multiple state championship games, state semifinal games and quarterfinal games.  If my memory serves me correctly, Science Hill has only made the quarterfinal game once since 2010 and was blanked 45-0 by Maryville.  

People underestimate how different playing in a "big game" really is.  I can tell you from experience that the first few times you play or coach in one of those games, things are happening much faster and you are prone to doing uncharacteristic things, making mistakes you don't typically make, and failing to make the plays you normally make.  With that said, I think Greeneville's staff and players are more accustomed to these types of game, and that will work in their favor Friday night.  Science Hill is very very talented and their program has grown leaps and bounds under the new head coach.  But I don't think they are in the upper echelon of football programs yet that are unaffected by the magnitude of these games.

Friday night will be decided by 4 or 5 plays- whether it is an untimely turnover, a coverage bust for a big play, or a missed tackle for a long TD.  Who is going to make the big plays on the big stage when the lights come on?  That is who will win the game.

18 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

There is no such thing as "luck"...... it all comes down to conditioning, execution, coaching, depth, and finally.....   well you know what, I guess there is an element of "luck" too.      But only as long as the aforementioned items are in place.       Well let's re-think that last statement.....    Did UT get "lucky" against GT the other day?

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a Tennessee victory.Nowhere near the joy I had after the Arkansas victory in 1998 when they were outplayed completely but  got nearly divine intervention with the way they got that turnover.Let's be honest, they sucked giving up 535 yards rushing.I know there has to be high school defenses around the country that would have gave up less yards.

4 minutes ago, DeeJay32 said:

I think one key in this game that people are overlooking is big-game experience.  Granted, this is a regular season non-conference game in week 4, but it has a big-game feel to it and I bet the atmosphere will feel like a playoff game Friday night.  With that said, Greeneville has been in those types of games significantly more than Science Hill over the last several years, including multiple state championship games, state semifinal games and quarterfinal games.  If my memory serves me correctly, Science Hill has only made the quarterfinal game once since 2010 and was blanked 45-0 by Maryville.  

People underestimate how different playing in a "big game" really is.  I can tell you from experience that the first few times you play or coach in one of those games, things are happening much faster and you are prone to doing uncharacteristic things, making mistakes you don't typically make, and failing to make the plays you normally make.  With that said, I think Greeneville's staff and players are more accustomed to these types of game, and that will work in their favor Friday night.  Science Hill is very very talented and their program has grown leaps and bounds under the new head coach.  But I don't think they are in the upper echelon of football programs yet that are unaffected by the magnitude of these games.

Friday night will be decided by 4 or 5 plays- whether it is an untimely turnover, a coverage bust for a big play, or a missed tackle for a long TD.  Who is going to make the big plays on the big stage when the lights come on?  That is who will win the game.

That's a good point maybe about the coaches at Greeneville having the big game experience but most of these kids were not even in middle school the last time a NET team played in the "big game".

12 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a Tennessee victory.Nowhere near the joy I had after the Arkansas victory in 1998 when they were outplayed completely but  got nearly divine intervention with the way they got that turnover.Let's be honest, they sucked giving up 535 yards rushing.I know there has to be high school defenses around the country that would have gave up less yards.

exactly, our D coordinator needs to go, now.  If you look at Missouri, Vandy and UK from last year and Tech this year we have given up over 2000 yards.  That's over a mile!  lol.  This guy is a joke.   He said that Bituli was not a good fit for this game, he had 23 tackles!  And he only played because Johnson got hurt somehow on Friday.  

12 minutes ago, DeeJay32 said:

They played a Huge game last week and came away victorious. Don't underestimate the positive vibes and confidence the team gets from beating DB at J.Fred. If anything, I would be worried about those "Letdown" demons creeping in.

21 minutes ago, Bucsback said:

I've said it since the first game, SH has the best team I've seen them have in a long time. I have to give this one to SH but if anyone can beat them locally it will be Gville.

Yep,SH is loaded with athletes and they have a fine coaching staff and strengh program to boot.This is a school that has three times the numbers to pick from and build depth as the Devils .What I want to see happen Friday night is not going to be an easy task .It's nearly impossible to sit back and not let what your heart just take over in these kinds of games.The game like this that I wanted more then any was the DB victory.That was very personal because of several things .That was as satisfying a victory as any I've ever been around but at the same time had a hard time because I know and care about many of the players and coaches that are at DB.A victory over SH would be very nice as a fan and former Devil but a defeat won't be the end of the world.That said,I frigging hate to lose nomatter if it's a game of chess.

20 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

exactly, our D coordinator needs to go, now.  If you look at Missouri, Vandy and UK from last year and Tech this year we have given up over 2000 yards.  That's over a mile!  lol.  This guy is a joke.   He said that Bituli was not a good fit for this game, he had 23 tackles!  And he only played because Johnson got hurt somehow on Friday.  

Your better about it then myself.Tennessee doesn't get a number of breaks and they have a humiliating defeat monday night.BVD done a vid about Lane Kiffen when he scrwd the VoL nation over and that's about where I'm at with Butch and the product he put on the field for the millions we are paying him.

52 minutes ago, Compton said:

Db played both teams but prepared differently for both. Db didn't feel threatening by Greeneville they felt like with their size advantage they could take it straight to Greeneville  (that plan backfire). With science hill they went to the milk the clock approach  (it also backfire) that game plan admits that the other team is just better. With that being said folks db is basically telling us that SH is the better team. Nobody lose in this game, the fans get to watch a great game, the team becomes more playoffs ready, the coaches gain more experience and kermit stadium gets a huge payday to feed that turf.

Toppers 38-28.

Yeah,I know one coach that said Greeneville sucked before that game .That's what worries me about SH and the difference in what they have done since the senior class at DB was beating the SH boys as 9th graders.They don't talk big talk  at SH but they have just took that group and coached them up and put  them through a fine strength program.DB isn't getting all their talent out and took the love out of the game for several more.Yes that coach was right,a few people suck but it's not the kids at DB or it wasn't Greeneville in the opening game.

4 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

Looks like Knox Prep Extra likes the Devils winning by 10. 38-28

Makes you wonder what someone a 100 miles away knows .I'd say if Knox prep were like Vegas and were going to take all bets, they would quickly drop that to an even game and give no points to SH.Greeneville may beat the living crap out of SH but nobody with a clue would make Greeneville an easy winner and put huge money on it.Oh ,I'll make a friendly little even bet on my Devils but no way would I give SH 10 points and do any big amount.And yes ,I'm saying if it was legal to do those kinds of things

Edited by BatmanDevil