Surprise Teams in 2017 - 5A

osunut2

While they've not played the most challenging of schedules, these three teams in East TN have been pleasant surprises so far in 2017:

Cocke County (3-0) - The last time Cocke County finished with a winning record? 1996. Yup, it's been awhile. They certainly have a chance to end that streak, but it won't be easy. There are no juggernauts in Region 1, but outside of Volunteer, there are no cupcakes. I'll predict a 5-5 finish, narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

Lenoir City (3-1) - Since 2005, the Panthers have had just one winning regular season (8 wins in 2012). In 5-team Region 4, Lenoir City is well on their way to a playoff berth, following their one-point win over Soddy Daisy. The Panthers still have to deal with Rhea County and Catholic, but they could easily split their other remaining games. I'll predict a 5-5 finish and a first round playoff exit.

Powell (3-1) - After multiple coaching changes, Powell hit rock bottom, winning a combined three regular season games between 2014 and 2016. Sporting a much-improved defense, they've already won 3 games this season, and could potentially win 6 (Clinton, Lenoir City, and South Doyle remaining). However, they're in a tough district; they'll have to beat Clinton and one more district opponent (Oak Ridge, Campbell County, or West) if they want to earn a playoff berth. I'll predict a 5-5 finish, narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

On the flip side, here are some of the biggest head scratchers in East TN so far this season. Region 2 overall has been disappointing, but here are the ones that really stand out:

Halls (0-3) - Just when it looked like JD Overton had things rolling at Halls, the Red Devils decided to take a huge step back. While they lost a lot of talent to graduation, losing to Powell and Karns to open the season was completely unexpected. Kudos to Overton, who won just a single game in his first two seasons combined (2012-13), but they will be lucky to win two games this season (Carter and Seymour). I'll predict a 1-9 finish.

Knox Central (1-3) - Maybe the biggest surprise on this list, although QB injuries are partially to blame; last year's state runners-up managed to score just 14 points in the past three games combined. Fortunately, they have a manageable schedule going forward (Seymour, Clinton, Halls, Carter, South Doyle, Gibbs). I'll predict a 6-4 finish; they could make a playoff run, if they can get healthy at QB.

South Doyle (1-3) - I challenge anyone to find a more schizophrenic 3+ year run than that of Clark Duncan at SD - 10-0 in 2014 (lost in state quarters), winless in 2015, and 5-5 in 2016 (lost in state semis). While they have a number of talented skill position players, the Cherokees primary deficiency has been at QB. There are still some wins remaining on the schedule. I'll predict a 5-5 finish and a playoff berth.

Gibbs (1-2) - The Eagles' trajectory has almost mirrored that of South Doyle this season. They've really struggled offensively, and while they have some winnable games remaining on the schedule, the next three weeks will be a challenge (Campbell County, Morristown East, and Sevier County). I'll predict a 4-6 finish and a playoff berth.

Feel free to add to the discussion!

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

Schedule has a lot to do with it but Johnson County starts 4-0. The Longhorns hadn't won an opening game since 2009. Last winning season was 2008 I think.

South Doyle and Central are plagued with injuries I think. Oak Ridge is a head scratcher to me, I thought Gaddis had them going.

I know I'm a little off topic with this being the 5&6 A board but it is good to see Union County get a win for the first time in a season or two.

Edited by plumb69
added thoughts

16 hours ago, plumb69 said:

Schedule has a lot to do with it but Johnson County starts 4-0. The Longhorns hadn't won an opening game since 2009. Last winning season was 2008 I think.

South Doyle and Central are plagued with injuries I think. Oak Ridge is a head scratcher to me, I thought Gaddis had them going.

I know I'm a little off topic with this being the 5&6 A board but it is good to see Union County get a win for the first time in a season or two.

Good for JC and UC

16 hours ago, gbrpats said:

I'm pretty impressed with Beech starting the season 4-0 could be a big year for them!

I'm not surprised they are good, but given Henry County and Hendersonville are two of the four wins is pretty impressive to me.  That's two tough programs to beat and honestly could be the two toughest teams they face in the regular season. To make it even more impressive is neither game was a home game. 

I will also say there could be a potential rematch down the road...

11 minutes ago, eers said:

I'm not surprised they are good, but given Henry County and Hendersonville are two of the four wins is pretty impressive to me.  That's two tough programs to beat and honestly could be the two toughest teams they face in the regular season. To make it even more impressive is neither game was a home game. 

I will also say there could be a potential rematch down the road...

I can only hope we get a 2nd chance at Beech! I feel like we found something against them in the 2nd half.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, osunut2 said:

While they've not played the most challenging of schedules, these three teams in East TN have been pleasant surprises so far in 2017:

Cocke County (3-0) - The last time Cocke County finished with a winning record? 1996. Yup, it's been awhile. They certainly have a chance to end that streak, but it won't be easy. There are no juggernauts in Region 1, but outside of Volunteer, there are no cupcakes. I'll predict a 5-5 finish, narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

Lenoir City (3-1) - Since 2005, the Panthers have had just one winning regular season (8 wins in 2012). In 5-team Region 4, Lenoir City is well on their way to a playoff berth, following their one-point win over Soddy Daisy. The Panthers still have to deal with Rhea County and Catholic, but they could easily split their other remaining games. I'll predict a 5-5 finish and a first round playoff exit.

Powell (3-1) - After multiple coaching changes, Powell hit rock bottom, winning a combined three regular season games between 2014 and 2016. Sporting a much-improved defense, they've already won 3 games this season, and could potentially win 6 (Clinton, Lenoir City, and South Doyle remaining). However, they're in a tough district; they'll have to beat Clinton and one more district opponent (Oak Ridge, Campbell County, or West) if they want to earn a playoff berth. I'll predict a 5-5 finish, narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

On the flip side, here are some of the biggest head scratchers in East TN so far this season. Region 2 overall has been disappointing, but here are the ones that really stand out:

Halls (0-3) - Just when it looked like JD Overton had things rolling at Halls, the Red Devils decided to take a huge step back. While they lost a lot of talent to graduation, losing to Powell and Karns to open the season was completely unexpected. Kudos to Overton, who won just a single game in his first two seasons combined (2012-13), but they will be lucky to win two games this season (Carter and Seymour). I'll predict a 1-9 finish.

Knox Central (1-3) - Maybe the biggest surprise on this list, although QB injuries are partially to blame; last year's state runners-up managed to score just 14 points in the past three games combined. Fortunately, they have a manageable schedule going forward (Seymour, Clinton, Halls, Carter, South Doyle, Gibbs). I'll predict a 6-4 finish; they could make a playoff run, if they can get healthy at QB.

South Doyle (1-3) - I challenge anyone to find a more schizophrenic 3+ year run than that of Clark Duncan at SD - 10-0 in 2014 (lost in state quarters), winless in 2015, and 5-5 in 2016 (lost in state semis). While they have a number of talented skill position players, the Cherokees primary deficiency has been at QB. There are still some wins remaining on the schedule. I'll predict a 5-5 finish and a playoff berth.

Gibbs (1-2) - The Eagles' trajectory has almost mirrored that of South Doyle this season. They've really struggled offensively, and while they have some winnable games remaining on the schedule, the next three weeks will be a challenge (Campbell County, Morristown East, and Sevier County). I'll predict a 4-6 finish and a playoff berth.

Feel free to add to the discussion!

Let's revisit some of my early picks.

Cocke County finished 4-6, so they didn't quite get to 5-5. Great improvement this season!

Powell and Lenoir City both ended up 5-5 (right on the money), with one in the playoffs and the other sitting at home. An impressive season for both teams. We'll see if LC can pull off an upset in round 1 of the playoffs.

Halls was a head scratcher early, and they turned it around in a big way. Not only did they somehow get to 5-5, but they won their region, and they draw a DC team in the playoffs that is in total disarray. Go figure. The Red Devils may be one of the biggest mysteries in 5A this season. Strike that, region 2 overall is probably the biggest mystery.

Central was able to get to 5-5, and their QB situation is still murky. We'll see what kind of run they can make in the playoffs.

SD got to 5-5 and earned a playoff berth. Gibbs was able to make it to 5-5, but missed out on the playoffs via head-to-head tiebreaker.

All in all, not too shabby.