Henry County vs Germantown

HCBigRed

I put this particular game in my BGIM thread. So, you guys will get a chance to see what others outside of your sphere of influence will think about this game. I selected Germantown to win. I don't think that Germantown is overwhelmingly better or anything like that, however I think the travel and home field gives Germantown an edge.

HC has played a stiffer schedule by comparison to wins and losses of their opponents, however, of the three opponents on HC's schedule with a record that is 0.500 or above; they have only beat one of those teams ... and that was the one team that was 0.500. Germantown has played three teams that are 0.500 or above, and they won all three of those games. Two of those teams are 6A schools out of Region 7.

I don't have stats available for HC and I have't seen them play, so all I'm going on with them is their schedule and their wins and losses. Germantown is a different story altogether. I have two different sources of statistical data to use. I'm going to use data retrieved from the ShelbyMetroSportsblog website.

Germantown's alpha dog is Jaylin Williams. That's the young man who has verbally committed to play in college at Indiana University next year. He plays WR on offense and CB on defense. He's also is their KR. According to the stats I posted the other day from the Shelby Metro Blog SIte web page, he's done the following through the first five games:

Shelby Metro Area high school football individual statistical leaders

He leads the area in receptions for a TD with 8

He's tied for 3rd in the receptions category with the following line:  25 catches, 502 yds, 20.1 ypc, 8 TD

He's tied for 4th in the area with 3 interceptions with 2 having been returned for TD's

His QB is rated as the 7th best throwing for 950 yds @ 56% completion rate, with 12 TDs

He is also rated #1 in kick returns with 3 returns, 48.7 yd/return ave., 1 TD

He's tied for 5th in scoring with 72 points scored.

The Germantown team statistics are as follows through five games:

Shelby Metro Area high school football team statistical leaders

Offense:

10th in scoring at 38.6 ppg

24th in Rushing @ 189.2 ypg

10th in Passing @ 190 ypg

16th in Total yards-per-game @ 379 ypg

Defense:

14th in Fewest ppg @ 12.4

8th in Fewest rush yds/gm @ 49.2

22nd in Fewest passing yds/gm @ 110.6

8th in Fewest Total yds/gm @ 159.8

If HC is going to win this game, they are going to have to limit what Jaylin Williams does. He accounts for half of their receiving yardage. What ever you do ... don't kick he ball to him. I would also be very judicious when I throw in his direction as well. Henry County is good as, if not better, then the best team they've defeated, which is Collierville. Germantown's offense is pretty balanced, as you can see. Jaylin isn't the only weapon they have, but he's their go-to guy, and he delivers. I remember him from when Whithaven played them last year ... he's a baller for sure.

Safe travels Henry County. May no one get injured. Have fun while you are here. I'll be talking to you guys later.

Edited by kwc

Germantown wins 29-26 in OT. HC didn’t play near their best game tonight with untimely turnovers & penalties. They are equal to or better than this Germantown team, in my opinion. Good matchup and hats off to G’town for making plays when needed to get the W. Hats off as well to both coaching staffs for scheduling a game like this. Most teams are scared and play cupcake out of region games. HC runs from no team and will step up classes and travel to play quality competition. 

2 minutes ago, SEC1rules said:

Germantown wins 29-26 in OT. HC didn’t play near their best game tonight with untimely turnovers & penalties. They are equal to or better than this Germantown team, in my opinion. Good matchup and hats off to G’town for making plays when needed to get the W. Hats off as well to both coaching staffs for scheduling a game like this. Most teams are scared and play cupcake out of region games. HC runs from no team and will step up classes and travel to play quality competition. 

Agreed what a game!!! Germantown is as good as advertised!! HC cannot hang their head in all 3 losses we have given these teams everything they could handle. We have lost by a combined 8. That's against big time teams nd 2 of those are to this point still undefeated.

10 hours ago, Havengrad04 said:

Dang I was hoping HC could pull the upset. Looks like we’ll have a showdown on our hands for the division at the end of the regular season. Can’t wait!

Not sure the way you have been pulling against Germantown is a sign of respect or a total lack thereof. Your quotes about them being outcoached and that being the difference vs. Henry County sounds like you don't think much of the Red Devils. You guys squeaked by last year and were lucky to  escape with a much superior team. I can't wait either.

11 hours ago, SEC1rules said:

Germantown probably had something to do with HC not playing its best game. The Red Devils also did not play their best game and that was due to the HC group. As far as the strength of schedule for G'town, they had the number one toughest schedule in the state the past two seasons and it really helped this year. Also, Southhaven has had two big upset wins since losing to the Red Devils and Collierville has also turned it around. It was a good game, one of the best I have ever seen. Props to a good HC program.

45 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Germantown probably had something to do with HC not playing its best game. The Red Devils also did not play their best game and that was due to the HC group.

That sums it up pretty well. 

It was a good game. As frustrating as it is to have lost our 3 toughest games by a combined 8 points, I'm hoping that the experience helps in the playoffs. Haywood, Beech, and Germantown are all great teams. What Henry County does in November is yet to be seen, but I feel pretty confident in saying that pressure won't get to them and there will be no intimidation factor. I'd like to think that the law of averages might dictate that we  pull out a close one when it matters down the road.

Edited by RedSwarm