Greene Devils visit Betsy

ETN423

Ok since nobody wants to talk about this week's game, I'll throw this one out there.  Elizabethton fans, what is the best Cyclones team in the last 20 years (I'm assuming it is one of Jason Witten's teams).  Greeneville fans, what is the best Devils team in the last 20 years?  And when i say "best team" i am talking talent, not necessarily what team made the deepest run in the playoffs or won a state championship.  The classification issues have hurt both programs at times.  

And if those teams played each other, how does that game go?  

29 minutes ago, DeeJay32 said:

Ok since nobody wants to talk about this week's game, I'll throw this one out there.  Elizabethton fans, what is the best Cyclones team in the last 20 years (I'm assuming it is one of Jason Witten's teams).  Greeneville fans, what is the best Devils team in the last 20 years?  And when i say "best team" i am talking talent, not necessarily what team made the deepest run in the playoffs or won a state championship.  The classification issues have hurt both programs at times.  

And if those teams played each other, how does that game go?  

Just My opinion but talent wise I would say the 1998 Greeneville Team was the best I have seen play.  Went 12-1 and lost to Elizabethon in the play-offs after they had beaten them 28-6 in the regular season. (There was a big story in Greeneville that some of the players decided to party before that play-off game thinking it would be a done deal).Led by Jasmine Lowery who avg. 9.9yards a carry and 19 Tds, Aaron Christian 24 td passes, and Jason Champion who had 9 Td catches and avg. 31 yards a catch.  That Greeneville Team Avg. 375 yards a game and gave up an Avg. of 166 yards a game.  2002 Lead by Cherokee Head Coach Cody Baugh and the 2010 led by Willie C would be my close 2nds.  This years team might be better than all of them but next year I think they will be even better.  Greeneville will be returning all but 4 starters next year

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Just My opinion but talent wise I would say the 1998 Greeneville Team was the best I have seen play.  Went 12-1 and lost to Elizabethon in the play-offs after they had beaten them 28-6 in the regular season. (There was a big story in Greeneville that some of the players decided to party before that play-off game thinking it would be a done deal).Led by Jasmine Lowery who avg. 9.9yards a carry and 19 Tds, Aaron Christian 24 td passes, and Jason Champion who had 9 Td catches and avg. 31 yards a catch.  That Greeneville Team Avg. 375 yards a game and gave up an Avg. of 166 yards a game.  2002 Lead by Cherokee Head Coach Cody Baugh and the 2010 led by Willie C would be my close 2nds.  This years team might be better than all of them but next year I think they will be even better.  Greeneville will be returning all but 4 starters next year

Question Swipes,I can't remember.Was Jason healthy against the Devils when they played in the regular season game.

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Greeneville in 2011 was the best. 2010 being second. 2011 team returned 8 starters on Offense and 9 on defense after the 2010 state championship. BJ Spradlin and Willie Carmichael were huge losses from 2010 team but 17 returning starters for the 2011 team puts them ahead. 

• Upvote 1

Shoot boys,all that is well and good.What I wonder is what DEVIL team or player was the meanest or toughest.I'd put a vote in for some of  those 50s teams that had Greeneville' s toughest and meanest all time player from the 30s.Now,those guys might not have won as many games but by dam they had some tough players because nobody in the history of DEVIL football as a player or coach was as tough as my 70s teacher ,coach Coffman .Nobody talked back to him when he was long past retirement age.Now that's some DEVIL history worth knowing.We are not the Greeneville high Greene Angels.

Now that I rethink it,Take a look at  Coffmans 1935 team that caught the eye of the greatest UT coach and made him a star for UT in the late 30s.Their only loss was 7-6 to a  state champion DB team.That may be the best  team going by the time line against the competition of the day.Also,they only gave up 25 points in 10 games,no defense in school history tops 2.5 points per game for a full 10 game schedule.

Edited by BatmanDevil

57 minutes ago, WoodlawnFalcons said:

Greeneville in 2011 was the best. 2010 being second. 2011 team returned 8 starters on Offense and 9 on defense after the 2010 state championship. BJ Spradlin and Willie Carmichael were huge losses from 2010 team but 17 returning starters for the 2011 team puts them ahead. 

Have to Disagree with you WoodlawnFalcons.  BJ, Willie, and Chaz Story were tough to replace and that showed in the loss against Morristown West .  It was tough to game plan for Thunder (BJ) and Lighting (Carmichael).  Along with all those starters that came back in 2011.  If those 3 were on the 2011 team they dont lose to Morristown West

Edited by Swipes

Greeneville's 2002 offense was the best Northeast TN offense I have ever seen.  The scary part is that this year's Greeneville offense might be better.  Now that Greeneville 2002's defense was that team's downfall.  They had good players, but the scheme Zeller ran was terrible.  Those 2010 and 2011 Greeneville offenses were great, but they had no passing game.  They won with great defense and running the football in November and the first week of December.  From a pure talent standpoint, that 1998 team was scary good.  Unfortunately, that team was similar to the Miami Hurricanes in the 80s and 90s, and they did whatever the heck they wanted and the coaches had no control.  Let Ballard and the current staff coach that team, and they would not be touched by anyone in the state.  When it is all said and done, this year and next year's Greeneville teams may end up being one that is talked about forever.   

6 minutes ago, DeeJay32 said:

Greeneville's 2002 offense was the best Northeast TN offense I have ever seen.  The scary part is that this year's Greeneville offense might be better.  Now that Greeneville 2002's defense was that team's downfall.  They had good players, but the scheme Zeller ran was terrible.  Those 2010 and 2011 Greeneville offenses were great, but they had no passing game.  They won with great defense and running the football in November and the first week of December.  From a pure talent standpoint, that 1998 team was scary good.  Unfortunately, that team was similar to the Miami Hurricanes in the 80s and 90s, and they did whatever the heck they wanted and the coaches had no control.  Let Ballard and the current staff coach that team, and they would not be touched by anyone in the state.  When it is all said and done, this year and next year's Greeneville teams may end up being one that is talked about forever.   

I've had the privilege to watch alot of mean, tough Greene Machines come through this program!!!  Long live the Greene Machines!!!!