Nashville vs Memphis the creation of a Classic Series

kwc

Man, the HBCUs have perfected this. The Southern Heritage Classic is played annually in Memphis for the past 25 years or more between TSU & JSU. Atlanta has one. Birmingham has one.

We take that premise and turn it into a weekend of events, with the football games being the main draw, but not the only thing. There can be a parade that all of teams participate in. There could also be a battle of the bands event. Who knows ... maybe even a concert. 

But this event needs to have a name. Something catchy. Something indicative to the event. 

Also, what teams should participate?

Edited by kwc

The Battle of the Blues vs Country...perfect name for the concert idea and also plays into the Battle of the Bands idea,

Teams...my first thought was Brentwood Academy vs MUS or which other Memphis private school is expected to be the best that season. Then I thought not a lot of regular high school fans would want to support a game between Private schools. In Memphis Whitehaven and the school in Orange Mound (forget their name) could play. Not sure about a public Nashville school. I am more familiar with the Murfreesboro schools/

I think Murfreesboro vs Knoxville area could work. It would probably be Riverdale, Oakland or Blackmon vs Maryville each year. 

Chattanooga vs whoever...Chattanooga areas best team are always Baylor or McCallie and small schools like Marion County and South Pittsburgh. That probably doesn't work.

Thanks for the message kwc, I enjoyed thinking about the idea. Oh, come up with an idea for a game that Oak Ridge could play in. I love my Wildcats.

20 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

The Battle of the Blues vs Country...perfect name for the concert idea and also plays into the Battle of the Bands idea,

Willie, you're a genius.

Since Nashville is aka the Music City and Memphis is aka the Bluff City, those monikers need to be included in the name somehow.

The Bluff City vs the Music City Classic

Or

The Bluff-Music Classic

Or

The Music City, Bluff City Classic

What do y'all think?

Edited by kwc
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kwc said:

Or ... we could tie in Memphis in musically by way of Beale Street.

Music City vs Beale Street Classic

Or something like that.

I like that a lot! Now we just needs to get teams. We could go with private schools from each city (not a fan of that), in your original post you motioned TSU vs JSU (2 historically black schools) so you could pick 2 predominately black high schools. They would be great for a Battle of the Bands contest and probably have many top athletes. Not to sound racist, but would this turn off some white fans. I would hope not but we do live in troubled times.

I am still trying to figure a way Oak Ridge can get involved in something like this. OR has been called the Birth Place of the Atomic Bomb, the Atomic City, Energy Capital of the World, The Secret City. and God's Favorite Pizza Joint Bid Ed's. JK. A lot of people don't know this but OR has won a State Championship in the 1950's, a National Championship in 1958, a State Championship in the 1960's, a State Championship in the 1970's, a State Championship in the 1980's, and a State Championship in the 1990's. We missed out on the 2000's but we did finish Runner up in 2005. I have hopes for this year and the next 3 years.

Best of luck with your idea, RWR (that means Roll Wildcats Roll).

9 hours ago, kwc said:

MomThe HBCUS have perfected this. The Southern Heritage Classic is played annually in Memphis for the past 25 years or more between TSU & JSU. Atlanta has one. Birmingham has one.

We take that premise and turn it into a weekend of events, with the football games being the main draw, but not the only thing. There can be a parade that all of teams participate in. There could also be a battle of the bands event. Who knows ... maybe even a concert. 

But this event needs to have a name. Something catchy. Something indicative to the event. 

Also, what teams should participate?

I like the idea as we have discussed but I would want other cities and only specific types of teams from said cities. Nashville's Pearl Cohn may be the only school that fits the bill of the type of football program and BAND. New Orleans, ATL, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham and South Florida have the types of Programs and Bands to make it like a mini HBCU weekend imho. :thumb: