Nashville vs Memphis the creation of a Classic Series

kwc

3 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I like the idea as we have discussed but I would want other cities and only specific types of teams from said cities. Nashville's Pearl Cohn may be the only school that fits the bill of the type of football program and BAND. New Orleans, ATL, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham and South Florida have the types of Programs and Bands to make it like a mini HBCU weekend imho. :thumb:

I don't know about PC being the only one that fits the profile. I know when the Southern Heratige Classic was here a couple of weeks ago, two Nashville bands came and participated. One was Cane Ridge's band and the other was Maplewood's band. The other 5 bands were from Memphis, and one band came from Alabama (Jefferson City High School ... I think)

So, let's not discount the other urban/metro Nashville schools ... let's hear from some Nashville folk. One of the PC folks has already commented that this type of thing happened back in 2007-2008 between Trezevant, East, Maplewood, and PC. I think those rae the schools he mentioned.

Edited by kwc

great concept, But since its Jackson ST, MS and TENN ST,TN weekend , why not just  let the best high schools of Tenn play the best High Schools in MISS. since there will be a ton of people from both states attending, the marketing is already there, now it enhances ,,,,Just call it (Southern Heritage Border Wars)

Now we can spread multiple teams from TN and Ms throughout Memphis at multiple venues. 

or the liberty bowl.

26 minutes ago, kwc said:

I don't know about PC being the only one that fits the profile. I know when the Soujthern Heratige Classic was here a couple of weeks ago, two Nashville bands came and participated. One was Cane Ridge's band and the other was Maplewood's band. The other 5 bands were from Memphis, and one band came from Alabama (Jefferson City High School ... I think)

So, let's not discount the other urban/metro Nashville schools ... let's hear from some Nashville folk. One of the PC folks has already commented that this type of thing happened back in 2007-2008 between Trezevant, East, Maplewood, and PC. I think those rae the schools he mentioned.

I think he was meaning they are good in football and has a pretty good band.

58 minutes ago, riots said:

great concept, But since its Jackson ST, MS and TENN ST,TN weekend , why not just  let the best high schools of Tenn play the best High Schools in MISS. since there will be a ton of people from both states attending, the marketing is already there, now it enhances ,,,,Just call it (Southern Heritage Border Wars)

Now we can spread multiple teams from TN and Ms throughout Memphis at multiple venues. 

or the liberty bowl.

That is another thing altogether aside from what I'm talking about. Besides ... this is going to start as a grass roots encounter. It may grow into a border wars type of event, but that's not what the genisis will look like.

3 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I like the idea as we have discussed but I would want other cities and only specific types of teams from said cities. Nashville's Pearl Cohn may be the only school that fits the bill of the type of football program and BAND. New Orleans, ATL, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham and South Florida have the types of Programs and Bands to make it like a mini HBCU weekend imho. :thumb:

BHS:

Like you said, you and I have been kicking the can on this idea for little while now. The reason I want to start with the "Battle for I-40" (I really like that title BTW) is becauase of two reasons.

First, let's perfect this with our own. (Tennessee) Let's put this togetjer for at least one rotation (Two years ... one in Nashville, one in Memphis) and perfect THAT. We will also use it as a learning experience on "What to do" ... and ... "What NOT to do"

Second, it's more difficult setting interstae contests up iike this because of the different contract years from state to state. But, more importantly, we want a working model to show the other marqee urban/metro schools that we cherry pick to participate in this in different States/Cities. We have something to 'sell them on' that is already up and running. Besides, we want to do some research to find out just what high schools in Atlanta, or New Orleans or Birmingham or 'Name Southern Metropolatin City here" to participate ... that fit the profile.

Things have to be considered ... like, how good of a football program do they have? How good of a band program do they have? How well do the fans of that school travel with the team? How far will they travel and reasonably have a large crowd with them?

It does no good to set something like this up interstate, and one team doesn't travcel well.

Edited by kwc

when you talk about bands and their football team ,,lets be thoughtful most high school bands don't travel that far with their football teams. because its not economical beneficial, because you got to feed them and possible provide lodging and chartering services, so you are trying to accommodate as many as 200 to 300 kids. So you will need guarantee gate money for those expensive up front..  and most metro Nashville fan base does not travel well with their team. I  have seen sad attendance at metro Nashville schools far as fan support. when you see school like PC, Maplewood bands playing at the classic. it was because of fund raising to get there.

Even  the more wealthier schools don't travel with their band because of the distance, Its going to take great marketing , community support, and donors with pockets.

or you can bring the football teams  and let the local football teams who are traveling with out their band provide the band entertainment for the visiting team.

I saw this being done in Alabama high school classic, the football team didn't match the band that was performing on there side ,  this can create savings 

17 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

The Battle of the Blues vs Country...perfect name for the concert idea and also plays into the Battle of the Bands idea,

Teams...my first thought was Brentwood Academy vs MUS or which other Memphis private school is expected to be the best that season. Then I thought not a lot of regular high school fans would want to support a game between Private schools. In Memphis Whitehaven and the school in Orange Mound (forget their name) could play. Not sure about a public Nashville school. I am more familiar with the Murfreesboro schools/

I think Murfreesboro vs Knoxville area could work. It would probably be Riverdale, Oakland or Blackmon vs Maryville each year. 

Chattanooga vs whoever...Chattanooga areas best team are always Baylor or McCallie and small schools like Marion County and South Pittsburgh. That probably doesn't work.

Thanks for the message kwc, I enjoyed thinking about the idea. Oh, come up with an idea for a game that Oak Ridge could play in. I love my Wildcats.

"Takes deep breath" NASHVILLE IS NOT COUNTRY MUSIC....ITS MUSIC CITY smh

8 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Pc,Cane ridge,Stratford,Maplewood & Hunters lane on the band side. PC and CR  would be the alphas in FB