Franklin

BooWhoWiseMan

5 hours ago, hardtackle said:

I am amazed that anything printed must be true. This is BS at its finest. Coacht has become better than the comics in the newspaper. 

Reputable news outlets are a bit hamstrung in what they can and cannot print. They can report facts, pass along statements, and supplement with "multiple sources say". The conversation we are having here is just our collective best attempt to read between the lines of what is (and, importantly, isn't) being said.

Absent any other developments or insider insight, I feel like we've reached a reasonable conclusion of the timeline. And it's an ugly, unfortunate set of circumstances. Here's hoping Franklin bounces back next year (and beyond). That would be fitting.

Mom Wray pulled the medical staff out from under the bus, and doubled down on the coaching staff. See here: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2017/10/86967/father-max-jake-wray-addresses-issue-with-franklin-football-team

Her quote:

"The Wray family has been completely satisfied with how the athletic doctors and medical trainers handled Jake's concussion diagnosis and subsequent concussion protocol," Mrs. Wray said. "Our concern, which the school still seems unwilling to address, is with the coaching staff.

"We want to publicly thank both Vanderbilt [University] and especially the medical trainer at Franklin High, Alexis Boorde, for their exemplary care and concern for the health and well-being of the athletes at Franklin High."

(It's an OSU board, so you won't find any mention in the article or comments about the initial angle to the story, namely, that an OSU coach didn't like what he saw in practice.)

I find it almost impossible to believe that coaches routinely subvert medical advice. I'll say it again...if this were true, the coaches and WCS as a larger entity would be subject to some serious litigation. If the Wrays are speaking the truth, I hope they are working with an attorney to file suit.

If they don't... it becomes very difficult to buy their version of the story.

Trainers and/or doctors have the final say on who is cleared to play and who is not cleared to play regarding concussions. Parents, players, and coaches all sign off on TSSAA concussion protocol before the season begins. There is no Grey area, you're either cleared for contact/play or you're not. I find it very difficult to believe the coach would risk the health of his best players...to gain essentially nothing (not making playoffs). IMO Franklin will be better off without these selfish snowflakes. This passive aggressive move by mommy and daddy playing the victim card is sadly becoming more and more commonplace in society today. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Personally I think the parents are trying to justify a reason to transfer and apply for a hardship through TSSAA

If accusations against Franklin is proven to be unfounded & TSSAA grants hardship.................All bets are off on eligibility at that point.  TSSAA better prepare for a Firestorm from the entire state.

• Like 1

Who are the “snowflakes” here?  Surely grown men are not calling high school football players names?  Especially when nobody outside of the people directly involved know what really happened.  And I don’t think they’re posting here in the peanut gallery.

Concussions and the recent CTE studies are scary.  If this is about parents being overly protective about a head injury, they should be cut a lot of slack.  I’ve personally had a severe concussion with micro-shearing and bleeding.  I spent several miserable days at Vanderbilt and then several miserable months dealing with the after affects.  I would not wish the same on my worst enemy.

I know the papers we sign so that our sons can play, I know about the baseline testing, and I know about doctors having to approve eligibility.  But...

I spent the entire night in the ER, was released and drove home only to be called back to the hospital one hour later because another neurologist saw something scary in my scans.  I then spent several days in ICU being monitored.  

I could definitely see where there could be disagreement between a coaching staff full of great men and parents who are also great people when dealing with something as sensitive as a young man receiving a concussion. 

10 minutes ago, bcd said:

Who are the “snowflakes” here?  Surely grown men are not calling high school football players names?  Especially when nobody outside of the people directly involved know what really happened.  And I don’t think they’re posting here in the peanut gallery.

Concussions and the recent CTE studies are scary.  If this is about parents being overly protective about a head injury, they should be cut a lot of slack.  I’ve personally had a severe concussion with micro-shearing and bleeding.  I spent several miserable days at Vanderbilt and then several miserable months dealing with the after affects.  I would not wish the same on my worst enemy.

I know the papers we sign so that our sons can play, I know about the baseline testing, and I know about doctors having to approve eligibility.  But...

I spent the entire night in the ER, was released and drove home only to be called back to the hospital one hour later because another neurologist saw something scary in my scans.  I then spent several days in ICU being monitored.  

I could definitely see where there could be disagreement between a coaching staff full of great men and parents who are also great people when dealing with something as sensitive as a young man receiving a concussion. 

No offense.  Just a simple question.  Since injuries are part of the game, why even let the kids play if someone is very sensitive to the concussion issue?  

There are provisions in place to prevent a player from playing with a concussion.  Nobody wants any of these young men to get hurt.  

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

No offense.  Just a simple question.  Since injuries are part of the game, why even let the kids play if someone is very sensitive to the concussion issue?  

There are provisions in place to prevent a player from playing with a concussion.  Nobody wants any of these young men to get hurt.  

Not everyone gets injured.  I’m sure every parent prays their child doesn’t, but I don’t fault anyone for being too protective after such injuries.  That doesn’t mean stop playing, just making darn sure everything is ok and further harm is not done.

I know about the provisions and they are great but nothing is foolproof.  As I said, I passed the tests and was released but then another doctor pointed out a problem that required me to return to the hospital and be placed in ICU.

I love football. Watching my son’s team play is one of the most enjoyable things for me in life.  But he’s already told me he probably won’t let his son play...  I’m not sure if there will be football in 30 years unless some advancement in specifically head trauma occurs...

Edited by bcd