Class 3A Round 2: South Gibson (9-2) at Raleigh Egypt (11-0)

NotNoahHouck

The Hornets got their first-ever playoff win over Trezevant (36-8), and will travel to Memphis to face the Pharaohs for the second year in a row in the TSSAA Class 3A Playoffs. Raleigh Egypt won the first round meeting last year 30-14. 

The teams have three common opponents in Trezevant (both 36-8 wins). Craigmont (SGC: W 34-16, RE: W 47-0). and Bolivar Central (SGC: W 28-19, RE: W 41-13).

Edited by NotNoahHouck

8 hours ago, NotNoahHouck said:

The Hornets got their first-ever playoff win over Trezevant (36-8), and will travel to Memphis to face the Pharaohs for the second year in a row in the TSSAA Class 3A Playoffs. Raleigh Egypt won the first round meeting last year 30-14. 

The teams have three common opponents in Trezevant (both 36-8 wins). Craigmont (SGC: W 34-16, RE: W 47-0). and Bolivar Central (SGC: W 28-19, RE: W 41-13).

looks like a blowout to me

I think this is going to be a really close ball game. RE if favored on paper. RE has not played the schedule that SGC has. This may play into the favor of SGC. RE being home doesn't really matter last year they had 100 people show up for there first playoff game. Major Wright is great coach and obviously has his kids ready to play some ball. I have not watched any film on RE yet but I know that have a horse running the football for them. He should be a finalist for Mr. Football. 

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I think this is going to be a really close ball game. RE if favored on paper. RE has not played the schedule that SGC has. This may play into the favor of SGC. RE being home doesn't really matter last year they had 100 people show up for there first playoff game. Major Wright is great coach and obviously has his kids ready to play some ball. I have not watched any film on RE yet but I know that have a horse running the football for them. He should be a finalist for Mr. Football. 

A win over a 7 win Arlington, dominated their region games. I'm no expert on Memphis football, but they put down a couple schools that are traditional powers in the 901 (Trezevant and Mitchell), which I can only assume are yearly rivalry games. their non-region schedule may not be the hardest, but SGC also has Middle College and Craigmont on it. 

My point being I don't think scheduling will be a major factor as it normally is. 

18 hours ago, NotNoahHouck said:

A win over a 7 win Arlington, dominated their region games. I'm no expert on Memphis football, but they put down a couple schools that are traditional powers in the 901 (Trezevant and Mitchell), which I can only assume are yearly rivalry games. their non-region schedule may not be the hardest, but SGC also has Middle College and Craigmont on it. 

My point being I don't think scheduling will be a major factor as it normally is. 

Trez and Mitchell weren't the Trez and Mitchell of years past this season. Egypt has not lost this year, so you can't gauge what it takes to beat them, but they also don't have that signature ( dang...they beat them!!!) win either. I expect that they will be a tough out, but SGC has a couple of pretty good victories behind them to take the edge off of facing a perceived "superior" opponent.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Trez and Mitchell weren't the Trez and Mitchell of years past this season. Egypt has not lost this year, so you can't gauge what it takes to beat them, but they also don't have that signature ( dang...they beat them!!!) win either. I expect that they will be a tough out, but SGC has a couple of pretty good victories behind them to take the edge off of facing a perceived "superior" opponent.

Bold Black = Agreed.

Bold Red = Wholehertedly disagree. By all intense and purposes they weren't expected to beat Arlington AT Arlington. If that wasn't a "Dang, they beat them!!!!" win, then I don't know what one looks like. They pulled it out in OT. That was the very first game of the season and it served notice ... Raleigh-Egypt is a power to be reckoned with. 

Bold Blue = SGC doesn't have an edge over Raleigh-Egypt by virtue of victories over good teams. Actually, Raleigh-Egypt has the advantage in that department. SGC has wins over 4A Lexington who is currently 8-3 and in the 2nd round of the playoffs. This is SGC's signature win on their schedule. They have a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 7-3A opponent Milan and a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 3-7A opponent Boliver Central. That's it. Three victories over teams over 0.500. By that same measurement, Raleigh-Egypt has three (3) victories over opponents who are over 0.500. Region 8-4A Wooddale (6-5), Region 7-3A Boliver Central (6-5), and Region 7-6A Arlington (7-4). I give Raleigh-Egypt the edge because they beat a 6A team, where as SGC beat a 4A team.

Yes, SGC played a more difficult schedule by virtue of also playing 4A Crocket County and fellow Region 7-3A opponent, Covington. However ... SGC lost those games. They lost to Crocket by two TDs and they lost to Covington by 4 TDs. 

RE and SGH have three common opponents. Craigmont, Bolivar Central, and Trezevant. Those games went as follows for each:

Raleigh-Egypt 47, Craigmont 0        
Raleigh-Egypt 36, Trezevant 8        
Raleigh-Egypt 41, Bolivar Central 13        

South Gib. 34, Craigmont 16        
South Gib. 36, Trezevant 8        
South Gib. 28, Bolivar Central 19        

None of this means that Raleigh-Egypt will win. It doesn't mean that SGH will win. I think it is more indicitive that this will be a competitive game. I think that RE is building on what they accomplished last year, and taking it further. This is their 2nd year in a row going undefeated in the regular season. Now, they are learning what it takes to win in the post season. It's a learning process.

I will have RE winning this game in BGIM. They are playing at home which helps tremendously. They have a dominant run game and a solid defense. To win championships you have to be able to do two things. Run the ball and stop the run. RE does both well.

According to the Shelby Metro Sports Blog Website, the RE running back, one Mr. Kaylin Granberry, the Mr. Football semi-finalist, is the third best RB in all of Shelby County in yardage. He is listed behind Jeremey Banks of Cordova, and Eric Gray (Mr. Football semi-finalist in D2-AA) of Lausanne. Go here to see all of his stats, and others in Shelby County,  through the regular season. Accoding to the Commercial Appeal, Kaylin is three TD shy of tying the record for TDs scored in a single season. Kaylin has scored 40 TDs. The record of 43 was set by Dillion Mitchell, who is currently a WR at Oregon.  RE is also dynamic as a team. Offensively they average right at 390 yds per game. They are 7th in all of Shelby County. They are 2nd in all of Shelby County in scoring. Defensively, they are the top rated defense in all of Shelby County. Running the ball on them is difficult. Go here to see theirs, and other teams ... team statistics.

If I wasn't going to go see my Whitehaven Tigers play ... I'd probably go to this game ... just to lay my eyes on Kaylin. That man had 237 yards on 15 carries last week while scoring 3 TDs. Whew!

Does he tie or break the record this Friday? Hmmmm....

Edited by kwc

3 hours ago, kwc said:

Bold Black = Agreed.

Bold Red = Wholehertedly disagree. By all intense and purposes they weren't expected to beat Arlington AT Arlington. If that wasn't a "Dang, they beat them!!!!" win, then I don't know what one looks like. They pulled it out in OT. That was the very first game of the season and it served notice ... Raleigh-Egypt is a power to be reckoned with. 

Bold Blue = SGC doesn't have an edge over Raleigh-Egypt by virtue of victories over good teams. Actually, Raleigh-Egypt has the advantage in that department. SGC has wins over 4A Lexington who is currently 8-3 and in the 2nd round of the playoffs. This is SGC's signature win on their schedule. They have a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 7-3A opponent Milan and a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 3-7A opponent Boliver Central. That's it. Three victories over teams over 0.500. By that same measurement, Raleigh-Egypt has three (3) victories over opponents who are over 0.500. Region 8-4A Wooddale (6-5), Region 7-3A Boliver Central (6-5), and Region 7-6A Arlington (7-4). I give Raleigh-Egypt the edge because they beat a 6A team, where as SGC beat a 4A team.

Yes, SGC played a more difficult schedule by virtue of also playing 4A Crocket County and fellow Region 7-3A opponent, Covington. However ... SGC lost those games. They lost to Crocket by two TDs and they lost to Covington by 4 TDs. 

RE and SGH have three common opponents. Craigmont, Bolivar Central, and Trezevant. Those games went as follows for each:

Raleigh-Egypt 47, Craigmont 0        
Raleigh-Egypt 36, Trezevant 8        
Raleigh-Egypt 41, Bolivar Central 13        

South Gib. 34, Craigmont 16        
South Gib. 36, Trezevant 8        
South Gib. 28, Bolivar Central 19        

None of this means that Raleigh-Egypt will win. It doesn't mean that SGH will win. I think it is more indicitive that this will be a competitive game. I think that RE is building on what they accomplished last year, and taking it further. This is their 2nd year in a row going undefeated in the regular season. Now, they are learning what it takes to win in the post season. It's a learning process.

I will have RE winning this game in BGIM. They are playing at home which helps tremendously. They have a dominant run game and a solid defense. To win championships you have to be able to do two things. Run the ball and stop the run. RE does both well.

According to the Shelby Metro Sports Blog Website, the RE running back, one Mr. Kaylin Granberry, the Mr. Football semi-finalist, is the third best RB in all of Shelby County in yardage. He is listed behind Jeremey Banks of Cordova, and Eric Gray (Mr. Football semi-finalist in D2-AA) of Lausanne. Go here to see all of his stats, and others in Shelby County,  through the regular season. Accoding to the Commercial Appeal, Kaylin is three TD shy of tying the record for TDs scored in a single season. Kaylin has scored 40 TDs. The record of 43 was set by Dillion Mitchell, who is currently a WR at Oregon.  RE is also dynamic as a team. Offensively they average right at 390 yds per game. They are 7th in all of Shelby County. They are 2nd in all of Shelby County in scoring. Defensively, they are the top rated defense in all of Shelby County. Running the ball on them is difficult. Go here to see theirs, and other teams ... team statistics.

If I wasn't going to go see my Whitehaven Tigers play ... I'd probably go to this game ... just to lay my eyes on Kaylin. That man had 237 yards on 15 carries last week while scoring 3 TDs. Whew!

Does he tie or break the record this Friday? Hmmmm....

Thanks for the link in your post to the Shelby Metro stats. I have been looking for stats for our Covington players and this provides that. I assume that if I bookmark the website, that it will provide stats in future seasons, right?

Great post kwc. Lots of useful info shared. I have watched some film on RE now and the horse they have for a running back is the real deal. SGC will have its work cut out for them if they want to walk out of the stadium with a win this Friday. 

I am a homer but I believe in my hornets. We have a no name defense. We have 11 kids that will hull your head and really want to win. None of these kids are major D1 prospects and we get zero media coverage outside of our local paper and radio. That is perfectly fine with this unit. These kids are winners and will not lay down. If RE wins the game they are going to know they played hard fought game.

I still say that anyone that pick RE is not crazy. They have the athletes, and great coaching. ( we have few of them ourselves )

Im ready to pick a score. SGC shocks the state rankings and continues its historic season. SGC wills themselves to victory due to a huge special teams play and sneaks out a win.

SGC 28

RE 22

Edited by ManOfMillions

15 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Thanks for the link in your post to the Shelby Metro stats. I have been looking for stats for our Covington players and this provides that. I assume that if I bookmark the website, that it will provide stats in future seasons, right?

I've been going to that site for about 3-4 years now, if not longer.