2018 Region 7A Tournament

HuskerVol04

53 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Two good games that were well officiated for the most part. Glad to see Zebra35 wasn’t out there officiating.... by the way, you owe us all a steak dinner for saying the game wouldn’t be within 15.

The 3-pointer in the Dresden/Gleason game was a phenomenal shot, never hesitated... Dresden and Greenfield for the region championship will be a good one! 

Officials did good for the most part, but the call right before half was supposed to be a three shot foul for GC. Ref called it a three shot foul and we missed the front end and they let the play go. That was a bone headed call they let go. But Greenfield weathered the storm and made enough plays. Congrats to all four teams on great Region semis. Moore kid is a cool customer and Greenfield will be a tough out.

7 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Officials did good for the most part, but the call right before half was supposed to be a three shot foul for GC. Ref called it a three shot foul and we missed the front end and they let the play go. That was a bone headed call they let go. But Greenfield weathered the storm and made enough plays. Congrats to all four teams on great Region semis. Moore kid is a cool customer and Greenfield will be a tough out.

They missed two fouls tonight on the 3-point shot where they called both on the floor. I disagree with the calls made, but we had our chance to win it and didn’t. 

We have a veteran group coming back next year and will add Madison Hart with the upcoming freshman class... you people will be hearing about that name for the years to come. She’s going to be a good one!

11 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

They missed two fouls tonight on the 3-point shot where they called both on the floor. I disagree with the calls made, but we had our chance to win it and didn’t. 

We have a veteran group coming back next year and will add Madison Hart with the upcoming freshman class... you people will be hearing about that name for the years to come. She’s going to be a good one!

Really enjoyed calling both games last night on Star 95.1 Great high school basketball atmosphere at TCA.

The officials actually got both of those calls right, most officials I see throughout the year do not. 3 point shooters are rarely fouled in the "act of shooting" because that is such a bone headed foul and emphasized as a no-no by coaches. What happens most of the time, and was the case on both occasions last night, is a defender "closes out" on a 3 point shooter and hits them after the release. Darby was guilty of that twice, she really needs to dial it down on her close outs or she's going to be in foul trouble at a critical time.

Looking forward to the championship game tomorrow.

1 hour ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Really enjoyed calling both games last night on Star 95.1 Great high school basketball atmosphere at TCA.

The officials actually got both of those calls right, most officials I see throughout the year do not. 3 point shooters are rarely fouled in the "act of shooting" because that is such a bone headed foul and emphasized as a no-no by coaches. What happens most of the time, and was the case on both occasions last night, is a defender "closes out" on a 3 point shooter and hits them after the release. Darby was guilty of that twice, she really needs to dial it down on her close outs or she's going to be in foul trouble at a critical time.

I disagree.   Both times she was hit directly after the release and wasn’t allowed to follow through.  You are right.  The contact was low and a result of closing out to hard.  But in my opinion affects the shot which in turn should be 3 foul shots.   Either way.  Was a great game and both teams played hard.   GC had a game plan and stuck to it and it looked like it frustrated Darby.  Moore is one of the better sophomore pg you will ever see.  This is not a bash of either greenfield player.  But single a girls ball must be down across the state for both of them to be miss basketball finalist.  They both are great players and have a long career ahead of them playing big time ball. 

16 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Madison Hart will lead a big crop of freshman in similar to what we seen in 2016-2017 and Alana Hunt will be back we lost with broken hand, who was a double digit scorer and rebounder. Coach Wilkins will be 20-22 deep starting summer camp maybe more. His current JV has lost 5 games in its last 150 losing only to two teams in Dyersburg and Dyer County, which they have beat a bunch as well. Some of the JV is seeing varsity now. You have reffed them and seen what they have. GC will be as deep this year that I can ever remember.

Edited by pioneer42

Problem is the first one the ref called a three shot foul after the foul was committed why else would he hold up three fingers to the statistician neither players numbers were 3. It was a blown call. He let the play go after the missed FT. The officials got caught asleep. But your right most of the three point fouls are on close outs getting there late. But Greenfield has a good team and any time you have a point guard as good as Moore you will be in every game because you don't turn the ball over much. Good game though. Good luck to Greenfield and Dresden!!!

Edited by pioneer42

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Problem is number 1 you wasn't there and the first one the ref called a three shot foul after the foul was committed why else would he hold up three fingers to the statistician neither players numbers were 3. It was a blown call. He let the play go after the missed FT. The officials got caught asleep. But your right most of the three point fouls are on close outs getting there late. But Greenfield has a good team and any time you have a point guard as good as Moore you will be in every game because you don't turn the ball over much. Good game though. Good luck to Greenfield and Dresden!!!

I'm sorry, a little confused here. I WAS there, broadcasting the game as I stated so that's not Problem #1. Not sure if there was a Problem #2 stated? I never saw three fingers held up though I am not arguing. What I saw was the officials indicate pretty quickly the fouls were on the floor, after the shot. I respect westtnsportsfan's opinion that if contact is made before the shooter can follow through that it could be called a shooting foul. Most I've seen this year the contact was well after the shot and officials gave them 3 shots. Gibson Co. played a good game and had their chances even late. Defense shut Tess out 2nd half. With only one senior, they will be tough next year.

I'm sorry, a little confused here. I WAS there, broadcasting the game as I stated so that's not Problem #1. Not sure if there was a Problem #2 stated? I never saw three fingers held up though I am not arguing. What I saw was the officials indicate pretty quickly the fouls were on the floor, after the shot. I respect westtnsportsfan's opinion that if contact is made before the shooter can follow through that it could be called a shooting foul. Most I've seen this year the contact was well after the shot and officials gave them 3 shots. Gibson Co. played a good game and had their chances even late. Defense shut Tess out 2nd half. With only one senior, they will be tough next year.

I edited when I seen you was "calling" game. Thought you was listening. Three fingers were held up when he made the call. Didn't  understand the logic. Caught our players off guard and resulted in an easy three at the buzzer on the other end and definitely gave Greenfield more momentum at half. No sense in holding up three fingers unless it was in act of shooting. Second call they handled better. Didn't cost us game. We had too many TO's when we got up 13 points. Knew it wasn't our night when Greenfield banked in a 3 from the corner. Good luck to Greenfield and Dresden. Appreciate you doing the games. Basketball needs more coverage all over.

Edited by pioneer42

6 hours ago, Chewbaca said:

Always enjoy listening to Vic on the radio.  He does an outstanding job covering the games.  Very knowledgeable on what is going on and able to relay  that to the listeners.  Thanks

Thank you for the kind words Chewy! I work hard to bring a professional, balanced broadcast. I really enjoy the post season because I get to do a lot more play-by-play. Looking forward to a great game tonight on Star 95.1. Air time is 6:40. Tipoff at 7:00

15 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Thank you for the kind words Chewy! I work hard to bring a professional, balanced broadcast. I really enjoy the post season because I get to do a lot more play-by-play. Looking forward to a great game tonight on Star 95.1. Air time is 6:40. Tipoff at 7:00

Enjoy your football broadcast very much also. Need to get Paul stronger glasses though. lol

• Like 1