Congrats to Alcoa

Springbrookrat

If you look at my first post I wasn't talking about the past. I was congratulating this team on a district championship. As for our basketball program! Vernon Osborne ( one of the greatest coaches in Tennessee BB history) went 865-340 in 39 years. He won 2 state titles when there wasn't any classification and our enrollment was between 300-400 in those years. Also had 10 state appearances with 2 Runner ups with 20 district titles and 11 regional titles. David Marsh coached 13 years went 321-85 had 11 district titles 7 region championships and 7 state appearances with one state runner up. He retired from coaching in 2002. Both of these men are in the TSSAA Hall of Fame. During that 52 year stretch we averaged over 22.7 wins a season with just 7 losses. We had 31 district titles, 17 regional titles, 3 runner ups, and 2 State Titles. Alcoa also had the first black player to play in a TSSAA BB State Tournament. Basketball hadn't been the same since these two left but things are about to change. I hope this clarifies a few things for you. You really can't put Upperman in the same conversation with Alcoa when it comes to BB tradition.  

8 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

If you look at my first post I wasn't talking about the past. I was congratulating this team on a district championship. As for our basketball program! Vernon Osborne ( one of the greatest coaches in Tennessee BB history) went 865-340 in 39 years. He won 2 state titles when there wasn't any classification and our enrollment was between 300-400 in those years. Also had 10 state appearances with 2 Runner ups with 20 district titles and 11 regional titles. David Marsh coached 13 years went 321-85 had 11 district titles 7 region championships and 7 state appearances with one state runner up. He retired from coaching in 2002. Both of these men are in the TSSAA Hall of Fame. During that 52 year stretch we averaged over 22.7 wins a season with just 7 losses. We had 31 district titles, 17 regional titles, 3 runner ups, and 2 State Titles. Alcoa also had the first black player to play in a TSSAA BB State Tournament. Basketball hadn't been the same since these two left but things are about to change. I hope this clarifies a few things for you. You really can't put Upperman in the same conversation with Alcoa when it comes to BB tradition.  

Calm down buddy. It was a joke in the first place.

40 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

That is pretty awesome. I had read something about that not long ago and forgot about it. I will give you credit that is some rich basketball history!

Turtle the only people you should be blaming is your coach, players and fans conduct. This is not Alcoa's fault? Our administration and coaches made a decision not to play due to AE had nothing to lose. I played at Alcoa and in 1991 we beat AE in the semifinals of the region and an AE player tried to start a fight with one of our players with 40 something seconds left in the game. Luckily our player didn't throw a punch but could have been bad for us the next game. Fast forward to I believe was 1993. After the game Alcoa's team was getting dressed and was told that someone pulled a gun in the hall way. Out of fear and safety of the team they got to the bus as quick as they could. Once on the bus there was rocks thrown at our school bus and surrounded by fans as they were trying to leave. Very scary situation and I have verified this with family members and coaches that were on that bus. I can go on but I believe you get the point. These type of situations probably had an effect on us not playing AE. Alcoa and AE has always been a great rivalry. When we played in the 80's and 90's those games were awesome minus the side show.

I can't wait til next year because we should be a lot better. You do know our two leading scorer are sophomores. We also played 5 freshman in the district championship game. Two of those freshman should be really good players next year and beyond.  Careful what you wish for... 

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

WE FEARED FOR OUR SAFETY

How do you play a team in football 2 times but when it comes to basketball, you feared for your safety?  Just know next year, its on so enjoy it while you can.. Won't be any excuses, the game will be played!!

No doubt it will be played next season. Until then maybe you should teach your student athletes to act like just that, student athletes instead of street thugs. You’re lucky TSSAA didn't come down harder than they did. Make sure your team is ready to act like young men first and then worry about the trash talk after the fact!

• Upvote 1