Best Ever in Tennessee?

WilleTheWildcat

Jackson County had quite a run from 1999-2015.  7 state championships 3 runner ups.  Nationally ranked in 2002.  Beat #1 ranked nationally Shelbyville in 2003.  4 strait titles from 2000-2003, close to 5 as they were runner up in 99.

Edited by bob77

14 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I had the privilege of coaching many of those Shelbyville and Oak Ridge girls along with the best players from other schools in the state. We were able to compete with teams from all over the country and were very successful. I know for a long stretch, every Lady Vol from the state of Tennessee played in our combined program at the Nationals. We sent players to about every SEC school and many ACC schools. You know Tennessee basketball is strong when Pat and Geno were stopping by to congratulate your team.

I would probably give the overall nod to the Shelbyville team but I've seen Oak Ridge, South Greene, Livingston Academy, and Meigs teams that would beat them at their peak.

My favorite AAU team was the year that Insell and Burkey combined their AAU programs and played under the Tennessee Stars banner. The team had Aby Ramsey and another SCHS guard, a few girls from the Chattanooga area, the Bristol girl, the girl from Memphis Briacrest, a smooth PG from Nashville and I cannot believe my memory has forgot all the names. I am getting old.. Bottom line is they won the 16-under National Title in Chattanooga.

My second favorite AAU team was the 14-under Ridge Runners coached by Jennifer Wilson's dad. Girls from Sevier County, Clinton, Oak Ridge, Oliver Springs and some other small towns. They were fun to watch because they got along with each other, loved basketball, worked their tails off and were never afraid to compete.

Irish, I know you know all the girls that won the National 16-under title because I think you coached their post players. I love going down memory lane.

23 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

My favorite AAU team was the year that Insell and Burkey combined their AAU programs and played under the Tennessee Stars banner. The team had Aby Ramsey and another SCHS guard, a few girls from the Chattanooga area, the Bristol girl, the girl from Memphis Briacrest, a smooth PG from Nashville and I cannot believe my memory has forgot all the names. I am getting old.. Bottom line is they won the 16-under National Title in Chattanooga.

My second favorite AAU team was the 14-under Ridge Runners coached by Jennifer Wilson's dad. Girls from Sevier County, Clinton, Oak Ridge, Oliver Springs and some other small towns. They were fun to watch because they got along with each other, loved basketball, worked their tails off and were never afraid to compete.

Irish, I know you know all the girls that won the National 16-under title because I think you coached their post players. I love going down memory lane.

Those were some awesome teams. Abi Ramsey and Ashley Early from Briarcrest went to Vandy. Hugh Freeze the former Ole Miss football coach actually coached Briarcrest’s girls coach. Courtney McDaniel from TN High in Bristol went to UT and Geno really wanted her. Another incredible player was Latonya Johnson that was All American at Memphis and had a long WNBA career. Azzi was probably the best basketball player but Tiffany Woosley was a close second.