REGION 5 | 2A

How impressive are the wins vs 0-3 Nashville Christian and 0-3 Spring Hill at this point in the season? 

No doubt the coaches and administration were looking for challenges when they scheduled those teams but so far this year the two teams are not as good as they usually are.

Complete strangers calling your team elite or not elite on the internet in week 3 shouldn't be too big of a deal to you. It wasn't meant to be. 

I think you can call a team "elite" at the end of the year, that's it.  However, to say that those wins were not impressive is silly.   I assume you feel the same way about Union City (you remember, last year's state champions), as they are 0-3 so far this year?  I think those who have played them so far wouldn't dismiss them.  Let's ask our Peabody friends who played them last week.  Can't say much about Peabody just because UC is 0-3?  I don't think so.  

As far as Summertown is concerned, they came to play.  Maybe CA wasn't as focused as they should have been first half.  There was homecoming.  Maybe football players were thinking more of walking pretty girls instead of playing football.  But you can't take anything away from Summertown.  They came into the game 2-0 just after knocking of Wayne Co.  But like any good team, CA made adjustments after half.  It wasn't really even close the 2nd half.  

Will CA be considered an elite team?  We'll see after Cookeville.  Until then, they are a very good team but have formidable opponents ahead.  

1 hour ago, youngod said:

I think you can call a team "elite" at the end of the year, that's it.  However, to say that those wins were not impressive is silly.   I assume you feel the same way about Union City (you remember, last year's state champions), as they are 0-3 so far this year?  I think those who have played them so far wouldn't dismiss them.  Let's ask our Peabody friends who played them last week.  Can't say much about Peabody just because UC is 0-3?  I don't think so.  

As far as Summertown is concerned, they came to play.  Maybe CA wasn't as focused as they should have been first half.  There was homecoming.  Maybe football players were thinking more of walking pretty girls instead of playing football.  But you can't take anything away from Summertown.  They came into the game 2-0 just after knocking of Wayne Co.  But like any good team, CA made adjustments after half.  It wasn't really even close the 2nd half.  

Will CA be considered an elite team?  We'll see after Cookeville.  Until then, they are a very good team but have formidable opponents ahead.  

Couldn’t have said it any better. Anyone who looks at NCS or Spring Hill and says they aren’t good cause of their record doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Same thing goes for Lipscomb this week. I think they only won one game last year but they have practically everyone they played trouble and played a monster of a schedule against those big D2 schools. But it’s alright tho. It seems like every year people try to down play our team. Well just keep proving them wrong

Week 4 Matchups

#2 Columbia Academy (3-0, 1-0) vs. Div. II-AA Lipscomb Academy (0-3, 0-1)

Community (0-2, 0-0) vs. 5A Richland (1-2, 0-1)

Eagleville (2-1, 1-0) vs. Lewis County (2-1, 1-0)

Forrest (1-2, 0-1) at Summertown (2-1, 0-1)

Loretto (0-3, 0-1) vs. 6A Collinwood (0-2, 0-0)

Columbia Academy continued to show dominance in region play by squashing previously undefeated Summertown 37-0 and improving to 3-0, 1-0 in 5AA. This week they check in ranked 2nd in the most current 2A Top Ten. This week they again step out of region play and match up with Division II-AA Lipscomb Academy (0-3, 0-1). Last year, the Bulldogs went to Lipscomb and came away with a 10-point win. This year, an arguably better CA team will host the Mustangs, who have only won 1 of their last 15, and have not won a road game since late in the 2016 campaign. Looks to be another opportunity for the Bulldogs to make their case as one of the elite teams in AA.

Community (0-2, 0-0) returns to action this week. The good news for the Vikings is they didn’t lose last week, and they are again out of region and out of classification as they host 5A Richland (1-2, 0-1). Last year, at Richland, the Community offense had a bit of an explosion as they waxed the Raiders 57-0. This could be just what the Vikings need to get some momentum before they begin region play next week when they face Eagleville.

Eagleville (2-1, 1-0) is coming off another tough matchup with Forrest, another 1-point victory, offering the same scenario as last year when they travelled to Lewis County. Lewis County (2-1, 1-0) is coming off a dominant performance against Loretto (score was not indicative of the game) and is facing a much different challenge with the Eagles. The Eagles offense has potential to be dynamic and explosive, and the Panther defense can put together some dominant series as well. This game can be a measuring stick for both teams and give the rest of the region an idea of the pecking order behind Columbia Academy. The Panthers look to make it 4 straight against the Eagles.

Forrest (1-2, 0-1) is coming off a gut-wrenching loss to Eagleville last week, the second-straight year the Rockets dropped a 1-point game to the Eagles. This week, the Rockets travel to Summertown (2-1, 0-1) looking to get back on track and pick up a region win. Summertown was riding a wave of enthusiasm and fell off the board when the lost to CA 37-0. The Rockets drubbed the Eagles last year at home 49-0 and hope to overcome the loss from last week and pick up their first region win of the year.

Loretto (0-3, 0-1) was never in the game last week at Lewis County, trailing by 29 midway through the 1st quarter. This week, the Mustangs host 6A Collinwood (0-2, 0-0). The Mustangs have won 3 straight against the Trojans over the last four years. This is a great opportunity for the Mustangs to pick up a win before they reach a rough stretch of their schedule over the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, BulldawgsRise said:

Couldn’t have said it any better. Anyone who looks at NCS or Spring Hill and says they aren’t good cause of their record doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Same thing goes for Lipscomb this week. I think they only won one game last year but they have practically everyone they played trouble and played a monster of a schedule against those big D2 schools. But it’s alright tho. It seems like every year people try to down play our team. Well just keep proving them wrong

Agreed, you cant look at record and automatically judge how strong/weak a team is. When Lewis County went to Camden in week 2 and lost many made comments about how bad Waverly had their way with the Lions. Camden is a much improved team, and a very physical team not to be take lightly. Same can be said about the schools on CA's schedule. 

Two very good match-ups this week in this region with possible play-off potential or seeding.  Looks like Eagleville and Lewis are probably playing for the 2nd place spot (home field round 1 - or if lucky enough to beat CA 1st place)...either way looks like pretty much a game for home field in 1st round of play-offs.  Then looks like Forrest and Summertown are possibly playing for a chance to finish 4th and travel to Waverly.  Baring upsets in the region down the road.  Who do you think will win these games this week and why?  Eagleville vs Lewis Co   and   Forrest vs Summertown

1 hour ago, Raiderforlife said:

Two very good match-ups this week in this region with possible play-off potential or seeding.  Looks like Eagleville and Lewis are probably playing for the 2nd place spot (home field round 1 - or if lucky enough to beat CA 1st place)...either way looks like pretty much a game for home field in 1st round of play-offs.  Then looks like Forrest and Summertown are possibly playing for a chance to finish 4th and travel to Waverly.  Baring upsets in the region down the road.  Who do you think will win these games this week and why?  Eagleville vs Lewis Co   and   Forrest vs Summertown

Of course I am partial to LC in this matchup, but i do like what the Panthers defense showed last week against Loretto. Granted, you have to look at the opponent, but the defensive intensity was much different compared to week 2. I think it will be a game decided up front on both sides of the football, as both teams have quarterbacks that can create offense in a hurry,. I think it could end up looking alot like last years game in Hohenwald, a 7-10 point game. I feel like Forrest will handle Summertown, even if it is on the road. I think this version of the Rockets is an improved version compared to last year, and I think the same can be said about Summertown. I don't think the Rockets shut out the Eagles, but I could see it being a 2-3 score game.

Columbia Academy beats Lipscomb Academy 16-10. 

Some things I noticed from the game. Lipscomb is much much better than their record indicates. They had played 3 touch D2 teams before playing us, which is why they came into the game 0-3. Similar situation to what Union city was dealing wth coming into their game tonight. 

The game started off by both defenses not letting anything up. In the second half it seemed that both offenses stepped up and the defenses slowed down a little bit. CA looked to be in control the entire game and had some missed opportunities in Lipscombs half of the field that could have put the score margin a lot wider. Nevertheless, CA still won. They will have to continue to improve offensively and limit the turnovers and step it up in the red zone. 

#2 Columbia Academy (4-0, 1-0) at Forrest (2-2, 1-1)

Community (1-2, 0-0) vs. Eagleville (2-2, 1-1)

Lewis County (3-1, 2-0) vs. Summertown (2-2, 0-2)

Loretto (1-3, 0-1) off

#2 Columbia Academy (4-0, 1-0) stepped out of region, out of classification, and out of division for the second time this season hosting Lipscomb Academy. A tough game for the Bulldogs to come away with a victory in against a Mustang team much better than their record suggested. This week they travel to Chapel Hill to take on Region 5AA foe Forrest. Forrest (2-2, 1-1) won a tight one at Summertown 7-0. 2 weeks in a row the Rockets have had 2 tight wins in a row but will need a huge defensive effort to keep it close, made tougher by the play of CA back Davidson. CA has not lost a regional game in about 5 years, almost 30 games. Forrest leads the series 4-3 since 2001, but a Bulldog win here solidifies them atop 5AA.

Community (1-2, 0-0) gets their first shot at a Region 5AA opponent this week after picking up their first win of 2018 against 5A Richland. The Vikings host Eagleville (2-2, 1-1) coming off 2 straight nail-biters in region play. The Eagles were in a double-overtime shootout with Lewis County and came up on the short side of a 47-41 thriller. Eagleville won this matchup last year, and the Vikings will have their hands full dealing with Cobb and the RPO. The Eagles have won 11 straight against the Vikings, and will improve their record this week.

Lewis County (3-1, 2-0) went into double-overtime with Eagleville Friday and won with a defensive stop and a touchdown. Summertown (2-2, 0-2) had a defensive matchup with Forrest and lost by 7 at home. Lewis County has big-play potential with a variety of offensive weapons and have multiple scores from excess of 40 yards. Summertown has improved over the last couple of years when they played their youth and their youth has grown up. The Panthers won a 43-0 contest last year on the road, and it is Homecoming at LCHS when the Eagles come calling. The Panthers win here will keep them on pace with the Region leaders.

Loretto (1-3, 0-1) picked up their first win of the season with a 17-16 win over 6A Collinwood. The Mustangs will have the week off to prepare for 6AA East Hickman next week.