Alcoa Tornadoes host Grace Christian, Thursday , Aug.16th

BCsportsfan

19 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

The only way Alcoa gives up 24 points is if the Tornadoes have over 70 points going into the fourth qtr....

Didn't mean any disrespect to the mighty tornadoes - much respect for probably the best program in TN that is sometimes washed over because of the 6A empire next door.  I'm just looking at the fact that last year AHS played GCA week 1 of year 1 under CRB.  Week 1 is always interesting because nobody has a clear picture of potential and capability and depth - scrimmages are for training not ranking or scouting.  GCA offense improved throughout all their games last year and is now a much more tuned system.  I still believe Alcoa hangs 5 or 6 TD's on GCA... just not sure at this point if the D is strong enough to keep mobile GCA QB and CRB offense out of the end zone like last year.  I'll start hunting crow recipes though... just in case. :hungry:

1 hour ago, RebelAtHeart said:

Didn't mean any disrespect to the mighty tornadoes - much respect for probably the best program in TN that is sometimes washed over because of the 6A empire next door.  I'm just looking at the fact that last year AHS played GCA week 1 of year 1 under CRB.  Week 1 is always interesting because nobody has a clear picture of potential and capability and depth - scrimmages are for training not ranking or scouting.  GCA offense improved throughout all their games last year and is now a much more tuned system.  I still believe Alcoa hangs 5 or 6 TD's on GCA... just not sure at this point if the D is strong enough to keep mobile GCA QB and CRB offense out of the end zone like last year.  I'll start hunting crow recipes though... just in case. :hungry:

None taken. I totally agree about week 1 matchups. This one should be fun. I’m sure GCA has the ability to keep the game close. I just don’t see the Alcoa D giving up 24 points, nor do I think the Tornadoes score 70. I look for it to be about like last year. You can never underestimate a CRB coached team... Hoping for a great injury free ballgame!!

16 hours ago, scots50 said:

This should be an interesting game. Hearing ole Beaker has cleaned out CAK and is building CAK Redux 2.0. The key to beating a Beaker team is extreme pressure on the QB but maintaining control of the line of scrimmage. He will kill you inside if you sell out. The pressure is especially key to destroy the timing on crossing patterns. Those are often short yardage; but 4+4+4=12 and  he can keep your D on the field for extended periods of time. Frankly, I am glad he is back. He puts a solid team on the field that you will need to work to beat.  We should get better after playing this one. 

yes sir!  I hope Alcoa keeps Grace on the schedule after this year because it makes Alcoa better.

5 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

None taken. I totally agree about week 1 matchups. This one should be fun. I’m sure GCA has the ability to keep the game close. I just don’t see the Alcoa D giving up 24 points, nor do I think the Tornadoes score 70. I look for it to be about like last year. You can never underestimate a CRB coached team... Hoping for a great injury free ballgame!!

I agree. The 2 biggest keys to the game will be turnovers and time of possession. Can grace limit Alcoa's offensive possessions and eat a lot of clock? I thought Grace had about 9 Srs on defense last yr. If true, replacing them  will also be interesting.

Also looking forward to see how our defense schemes against RB's offense, their QB and the big WR.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

I agree. The 2 biggest keys to the game will be turnovers and time of possession. Can grace limit Alcoa's offensive possessions and eat a lot of clock? I thought Grace had about 9 Srs on defense last yr. If true, replacing them  will also be interesting.

Also looking forward to see how our defense schemes against RB's offense, their QB and the big WR.

Will be interesting to see if Alcoa’s OC has a game plan to score quick or eat clock. As you know, this Alcoa team can score on just about every play. So many weapons.

Looking forward to watching 98, 60, 44 and 33 get after it. With pressure, the Tornado LB’s and DB’s should/could have a huge game. 

Edited by Throwdeslant

Did a little quick research.  Rusty Bradley is 3-16 vs. Alcoa with C.A.K. and GCA.  The 3 wins he had were by a combined 13 points.  That was during the Charlie High/Davis Howell peak seasons at C.A.K.  Alcoa has outscored Rusty Bradley-coached teams 685-303. His offenses are potent against basically every team BUT Alcoa.  I think it will be close early and I think GCA will be a contender the rest of the season.  Alcoa has too many weapons on both sides of the ball.  Respect to Coach Bradley and his "Spread Coast" offense, but I'm gonna call it...Alcoa-38 GCA-17.  Hope for a safe and entertaining game. 

10 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

Will be interesting to see if Alcoa’s OC has a game plan to score quick or eat clock. As you know, this Alcoa team can score on just about every play. So many weapons.

Looking forward to watching 98, 60, 44 and 33 get after it. With pressure, the Tornado LB’s and DB’s should/could have a huge game. 

I decided to go back and see how RBs offense had done against Alcoa. Here are the scores

2017 Alcoa 30-Grace14

2015 Alcoa 33- CAK 7

2015 Alcoa 24 CAK-0

2014 Alcoa 38- CAK 7

2014 Alcoa 35-CAK 14

2013 Alcoa 51-CAK17

2013 Alcoa 42-CAK 14

2012 Alcoa 31-CAK 28

2012 Alcoa 36- CAK 38

2011 Alcoa 14-CAK 24

2011 Alcoa 37- CAK 38

2010 Alcoa 50-CAK 33

2010 Alcoa 14-CAK 3

2009 Alcoa 24-- CAK 7

2009 Alcoa 31- CAK 10

2008 Alcoa 28- CAk 7

2008 Alcoa 28- CAK 14

thought this was interesting. We here so much about RBs high powered offense in contrast to  Alcoa's power run game , I thought I would compare.

64.7% of these games RB teams score 14 points or less

11.7% of these games Alcoa scored 21 points or less

17.6% of these games RB teams scored more 30 points

64.7% of these games Alcoa scored more than 30 points

Reality kind of flips perception doesn't it? Power football and defense  works

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dimstar0625 said:

Did a little quick research.  Rusty Bradley is 3-16 vs. Alcoa with C.A.K. and GCA.  The 3 wins he had were by a combined 13 points.  That was during the Charlie High/Davis Howell peak seasons at C.A.K.  Alcoa has outscored Rusty Bradley-coached teams 685-303. His offenses are potent against basically every team BUT Alcoa.  I think it will be close early and I think GCA will be a contender the rest of the season.  Alcoa has too many weapons on both sides of the ball.  Respect to Coach Bradley and his "Spread Coast" offense, but I'm gonna call it...Alcoa-38 GCA-17.  Hope for a safe and entertaining game. 

I think your numbers are spot on. No argument there. I would just like to shine a different light on it. Many of the years CAK was in the same class as Alcoa and CRB was coach they gave Alcoa the best game they would see all year. Many times they would meet in the qtrs and that game would be closer than the semi final and the championship. CRB knows how to scheme for Alcoa better than anyone and vice versa. I think this is why Alcoa has so much respect for Grace. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think your numbers are spot on. No argument there. I would just like to shine a different light on it. Many of the years CAK was in the same class as Alcoa and CRB was coach they gave Alcoa the best game they would see all year. Many times they would meet in the qtrs and that game would be closer than the semi final and the championship. CRB knows how to scheme for Alcoa better than anyone and vice versa. I think this is why Alcoa has so much respect for Grace. 

You sure got that right, sir.  Some classic matchups.  I said for years if any team was gonna knock Alcoa off the top it would be C.A.K. I think you're right about the mutual ability of both teams to scheme for one another.  Always expect a competitive game.  I hope they keep this rivalry on the schedule. 

Edited by dimstar0625

52 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

I decided to go back and see how RBs offense had done against Alcoa. Here are the scores

2017 Alcoa 30-Grace14

2015 Alcoa 33- CAK 7

2015 Alcoa 24 CAK-0

2014 Alcoa 38- CAK 7

2014 Alcoa 35-CAK 14

2013 Alcoa 51-CAK17

2013 Alcoa 42-CAK 14

2012 Alcoa 31-CAK 28

2012 Alcoa 36- CAK 38

2011 Alcoa 14-CAK 24

2011 Alcoa 37- CAK 38

2010 Alcoa 50-CAK 33

2010 Alcoa 14-CAK 3

2009 Alcoa 24-- CAK 7

2009 Alcoa 31- CAK 10

2008 Alcoa 28- CAk 7

2008 Alcoa 28- CAK 14

thought this was interesting. We here so much about RBs high powered offense in contrast to  Alcoa's power run game , I thought I would compare.

64.7% of these games RB teams score 14 points or less

11.7% of these games Alcoa scored 21 points or less

17.6% of these games RB teams scored more 30 points

64.7% of these games Alcoa scored more than 30 points

Reality kind of flips perception doesn't it? Power football and defense  works

Thanks for the stats, Hammer.  Some good memories in those scores.   

Edited by dimstar0625
  • Like 1

I look forward to the Coaching chess match!

I think Alcoa will try to control the clock and run the football as much as they can.

Grace will have their QB deep in the shot gun to get time for the passing routes to develop. 

Can Alcoa pound the rock against a stacked box?

Can the Grace Oline give the QB time to pass?

Can Alcoa get consistent pressure on the QB?

Will Alcoa throw the ball more than 10 times?

I guess we will find out about this time tomorrow. Hopefully will a good clean game and no injuries!!:thumb:

• Upvote 1

I've got to say, you Tinheads are a knowledgeable bunch. Now I know why Booger respects you guys so much. I think y'all are pretty much dead on with the scenarios and what could/should affect the outcome.

I too hope it is a good clean game and injury free. We've both got a lot to play for down the road. Hopefully, we'll make it a competitive game and help you all get a little better, if that's possible. I know for sure playing this game "we should've never scheduled" will make us MUCH BETTER as we face tough teams down the line. I'm looking forward to seeing the home of the F5 Tornadoes!

• Upvote 1