TENNESSEE 6A (Updated pols as of 9-11-18)

kwc

TENNESSEE 6A (Updated pols as of 9-11-18)

First place votes in parentheses                                  

RANK            TEAM                   PTS           REC    LW

1          Maryville (6)                   137            (3-1)    1

2          Blackman (3)                 132            (4-0)    4

3          Oakland (4)                   126            (2-1)    3

4          Ravenwood (1)             104           (4-0)    5

5          Whitehaven                    96            (3-1)    T2

6          Cane Ridge                    79            (4-0)    6

7          Farragut                         73            (4-0)    7

8          Germantown (1)           64             (4-0)    8

9          Mt Juliet (1)                   44             (4-0)    9

10        Bearden                        14             (4-0)    NR

Maryville lost to Alcoa. Whitehaven lost to Lausanne. Both Alcoa and Lausanne are two of the best non-6A teams in the state, and they are both TOP 10, regadless of classification. Both are repeat state champions in their respective classifications, D1-3A and D2-AA. I think both are the favorites to repeat as state champions in their respective classes and divisions in 2018.

So, Maryville doesn't drop in the poll while Whitehaven does. Whitehaven lost in OT ... I don't know about Maryville's loss. 

First, let me say, I'm NOT complaining. It is what is is. But ... I don't see why one drops and the other one doesn't. Both played against championship caliber opposition. I personally believe there isn't any difference between Alcoa and Lausanne, as far as, quality of opponent.

So, what gives? The way I see it, either Maryville should have dropped, or Whitehaven should have stayed where they were.

Please ... talk amongst yourselves ...

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Maryville lost to Alcoa. Whitehaven lost to Lausanne. Both Alcoa and Lausanne are two of the best non-6A teams in the state, and they are both TOP 10, regadless of classification. Both are repeat state champions in their respective classifications, D1-3A and D2-AA. I think both are the favorites to repeat as state champions in their respective classes and divisions in 2018.

So, Maryville doesn't drop in the poll while Whitehaven does. Whitehaven lost in OT ... I don't know about Maryville's loss. 

First, let me say, I'm NOT complaining. It is what is is. But ... I don't see why one drops and the other one doesn't. Both played against championship caliber opposition. I personally believe there isn't any difference between Alcoa and Lausanne, as far as, quality of opponent.

So, what gives? The way I see it, either Maryville should have dropped, or Whitehaven should have stayed where they were.

The only thing I can see is that Maryville has a win against Oakland which is better than any win Whitehaven has had so far.  Now if Whitehaven Goes into North Little Rock and comes out Victorious (Which I hope they do along with everyone else in the State of TN) then I see them moving up in the poll next week.  In my opinion I think the TN Sports Writers they have looked at the Close game against Ridgeway and put a lot of weight right now into that game (MUS beat them 35-0 and Kirby beat them the week after 42-28 where they played Whitehaven to their closest game of the year 21-14).  Not saying its right or wrong but I can see why they moved down a little bit after the loss.  Anyone who knows High School football knows Whitehaven is always a contender for the 6a crown each year and always a top 5 team in 6a year after year

3 hours ago, Swipes said:

The only thing I can see is that Maryville has a win against Oakland which is better than any win Whitehaven has had so far.  Now if Whitehaven Goes into North Little Rock and comes out Victorious (Which I hope they do along with everyone else in the State of TN) then I see them moving up in the poll next week.  In my opinion I think the TN Sports Writers they have looked at the Close game against Ridgeway and put a lot of weight right now into that game (MUS beat them 35-0 and Kirby beat them the week after 42-28 where they played Whitehaven to their closest game of the year 21-14).  Not saying its right or wrong but I can see why they moved down a little bit after the loss.  Anyone who knows High School football knows Whitehaven is always a contender for the 6a crown each year and always a top 5 team in 6a year after year

Swipes:

I understand the logic, but if that were the case, they should have moved Whitehaven in the polls earlier when they won in the manner in which they did. Then, that would mean that Whitehaven would have been punished for winning a game, which is something they wouldn't want to do either. One could say that Whitehaven's victory over Cordova is also a good win. It may not be as coveted as a win over Oakland, but Cordova has been consistently a post season 6A team that has had positive results. They have been a 10+/- win program for quite a while. 

But, on the other hand, when you are talking Top 10, then that's when the hair splitting starts to creep into the decision process.

However, I just think that the sportswriters of TN just think that a loss to Alcoa carries more weight then a loss to Lausanne. Right or wrong, thats the impression I get.

Edited by kwc

56 minutes ago, kwc said:

Swipes:

I understand the logic, but if that were the case, they should have moved Whitehaven in the polls earlier when they won in the manner in which they did. Then, that would mean that Whitehaven would have been punished for winning a game, which is something they wouldn't want to do either. One could say that Whitehaven's victory over Cordova is also a good win. It may not be as coveted as a win over Oakland, but Cordova has been consistently a post season 6A team that has had positive results. They have been a 10+/- win program for quite a while. 

But, on the other hand, when you are talking Top 10, then that's when the hair splitting starts to creep into the decision process.

However, I just think that the sportswriters of TN just think that a loss to Alcoa carries more weight then a loss to Lausanne. Right or wrong, thats the impression I get.

I definitely understand where your coming from.  I do believe the Sports Writers think a loss against Alcoa carries more weight than a loss against Lausanne is my impression to.  Maryville's win against Oakland when they were #1 in the ranking in 6a has carried a lot of weight in the eyes of the voters than blowing out a Cordova team who lost in the First Round last year (Right or wrong).  The biggest thing I think that may have put doubt in the minds of the voters about Whitehaven stems from last year when Whitehaven lost to Cane Ridge 14-7 in the Semi's and then Maryville blowing them out in the state championship game 42-7.  I know what Whitehaven is about and always a great football team and will play anyone anywhere just an observation from someone that has no ties to any 6a school. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kwc said:

Great thing is it will all play out in the end and unlike college football, these polls mean absolutely nothing thankfully.... but it does give us something to talk about until playoffs lol. I will say I think it’s worth a deeper dive than just seeing what spot teams fell to. If I’m not mistaken, Maryville was the unanimous choice as #1 last week and only received 6 out of 16 first place votes this week. I haven’t taken the time to look, but I’d be curious to see if both teams dropped around the same number of “points” in the polls 

I think all points are valid. The only thing I would disagree with is I believe Whitehaven should be #4 and the argument could be made for Blackman at #1 with no losses. I know there are several others with no losses, but I think the top four are:

Blackman

Maryville

Oakland

Whitehaven

That said, I don’t think that’s how it will be at the end of the regular season, that’s just where I would go now. I believe those are the four best teams in 6A, regardless of order any of them could be the other on any given night  

12 hours ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

Great thing is it will all play out in the end and unlike college football, these polls mean absolutely nothing thankfully.... but it does give us something to talk about until playoffs lol. I will say I think it’s worth a deeper dive than just seeing what spot teams fell to. If I’m not mistaken, Maryville was the unanimous choice as #1 last week and only received 6 out of 16 first place votes this week. I haven’t taken the time to look, but I’d be curious to see if both teams dropped around the same number of “points” in the polls 

This is a great point. 

14 hours ago, kwc said:

Swipes:

You do realize these polls mean absolutely nothing,  right?

1 hour ago, FridayMainEvent said:

You do realize these polls mean absolutely nothing,  right?

But..... but..... I saw it on the internet, it has to be tr....    Oh no, you mean.....        Ha-ha-ha, hey man just kidding around, of course you are right, polls in anything (sports, politics, etc) are nothing more than talking points for analysts and ammo for fans!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

But..... but..... I saw it on the internet, it has to be tr....    Oh no, you mean.....        Ha-ha-ha, hey man just kidding around, of course you are right, polls in anything (sports, politics, etc) are nothing more than talking points for analysts and ammo for fans!

Yeah, KWC (who is one of the poster's I value greatly) seemed to be pretty upset over Whitehaven falling in this poll.   I'm sure Coach Saulsberry will be just fine come post season...lol.....   I was just trying to talk him off the ledge...