Best Rivalry in Knox - BHS v FHS

KnoxSportsMom

Just watching from the Farragut broadcast you never see the flag for "language" so it just comes across as 2 refs throwing a flag for the same call and not realizing it so they just give it to him twice. Without ever seeing a 3rd flag for the unsportsmanlike it just seems off. Also, couldn't that have been defensive holding? They're 8yds off the line of scrimmage and he literally throws him to the ground. You can't grab and throw someone without holding them.

edit: after watching again past just the initial flags from a slowed down video I saw, you see another ref hand a flag to the side judge who drops it, which I assume is the flag for him saying whatever he said.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz

Here is your video...

Video

longer, better? video  (look top right)

Bearden player appears to grab him and sling him by his facemask, but the ref just stares at them, the ref at the pylon right at the goalline doesn't even throw a flag during the entire situation, 2 other refs do. The back judge and a ref farther down the sideline on Farragut's side.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, osunut2 said:

That all depends on what the kid said. There are just some things that high school officials won't tolerate at all.

This...I initially thought the Farragut kid said something to the official, but have heard it was something he said to the Bearden player.  Any official hearing what was allegedly said would have thrown a flag.

10 hours ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

Just watching from the Farragut broadcast you never see the flag for "language" so it just comes across as 2 refs throwing a flag for the same call and not realizing it so they just give it to him twice. Without ever seeing a 3rd flag for the unsportsmanlike it just seems off. Also, couldn't that have been defensive holding? They're 8yds off the line of scrimmage and he literally throws him to the ground. You can't grab and throw someone without holding them.

edit: after watching again past just the initial flags from a slowed down video I saw, you see another ref hand a flag to the side judge who drops it, which I assume is the flag for him saying whatever he said.

Would agree with this, if it was a passing play.  However, I believe this was a run by Farragut...not sure?  If it was, then that type of physicality occurs on the corners all the time.

3 hours ago, billygoat said:

Would agree with this, if it was a passing play.  However, I believe this was a run by Farragut...not sure?  If it was, then that type of physicality occurs on the corners all the time.

It was a run, but any time I've ever read the rule I've never heard of it being only for passing plays, plus, based on the video he grabbed him and threw him by the facemask, so....

So the fact that there was not a flag in both sides of the ball on this play is a joke. Honestly as a former player, coach, and yes official I hate that this game was decided in this manner.... I am not apt to say an official cost a team a game because there are so many plays that occur in a game but for in this game for as well as both sides played it unfortunately was decided by an officials call that was by far and away wrong...but wrong in that there was not a penalty on the other side as well which of you watch the play have no argument against there not being a pension the Bearden player. 

1 hour ago, bradtkd1 said:

So the fact that there was not a flag in both sides of the ball on this play is a joke. Honestly as a former player, coach, and yes official I hate that this game was decided in this manner.... I am not apt to say an official cost a team a game because there are so many plays that occur in a game but for in this game for as well as both sides played it unfortunately was decided by an officials call that was by far and away wrong...but wrong in that there was not a penalty on the other side as well which of you watch the play have no argument against there not being a pension the Bearden player. 

I agree. It's frustrating, but this happens all of the time. It's why coaches try and try to teach their kids to keep their heads and their focus. The initial infraction isn't always spotted or flagged, but the kid that reacts/retaliates almost always gets flagged.

This happens to be a rivalry I played in, but it's not a historical longstanding rivalry in Knox County.  Farragut was a very small county school until the 80s.  Bearden was the largest city school in those days, and pretty much had their way with Farragut until the Farragut area started growing like a weed in the mid 80s.  

That said, it's become a very good rivalry, although Farragut has had the upper hand over the last 25 or so years.  Glad to see my alma mater get a win on Thursday and begin to make it a rivalry again.  

I'm an old guy, so I have seen some rivalries in Knox County.  Some of the better ones are Fulton-AE, Fulton Central, West-Bearden, Powell-Halls, Halls-Central, and Bearden-West.  Most of those go back to the sixties.   

13 hours ago, HTV said:

This happens to be a rivalry I played in, but it's not a historical longstanding rivalry in Knox County.  Farragut was a very small county school until the 80s.  Bearden was the largest city school in those days, and pretty much had their way with Farragut until the Farragut area started growing like a weed in the mid 80s.  

That said, it's become a very good rivalry, although Farragut has had the upper hand over the last 25 or so years.  Glad to see my alma mater get a win on Thursday and begin to make it a rivalry again.  

I'm an old guy, so I have seen some rivalries in Knox County.  Some of the better ones are Fulton-AE, Fulton Central, West-Bearden, Powell-Halls, Halls-Central, and Bearden-West.  Most of those go back to the sixties.   

Bearden was NEVER the largest city school. It has always, always been county school.

32 minutes ago, HSfootballan said:

Bearden was NEVER the largest city school. It has always, always been county school.

You are a young guy, aren't you?  

Sorry, but you are wrong.  I graduated from Bearden when it was part of the Knoxville City Schools System.  

Central

Young

South

Then South-Young after the new school was built and the merger of those two schools happened

Rule

Holston

Bearden

West

Fulton

Austin-East

Don't think I am forgetting anybody

Were all part of the City of Knoxville Schools System before the City went ouft of the school business and those schools were merged in to the Knox County Schools System.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1