CROCKETT @ KNOX CENTRAL QUARTER FINALS

jeffery6

Going to be a good one! Two young head coaches and staffs facing off. Two very athletic teams. Key to the game, who can keep the other team out of their backfield and disrupting the flow of their offense. Central won't sit back and wait for the play to come to them. How will Crockett play it?  

Hey Crockett,
You may want to give some thought to NOT kicking the ball directly to #7 of Central on kickoffs.     Boone did that the first kickoff and he took it to the house.      So did the Blazers learn anything from that experience when it came to the next kickoff?     Please, don't make me laugh....   of course not, in typical Boone fashion the second kickoff went to #7 again, and I don't mean he had to run 10 yards to get the ball, oh no, he stood still as a statue and let the ball float right down.    Any guesses as to what he did after that??

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Hey Crockett,
You may want to give some thought to NOT kicking the ball directly to #7 of Central on kickoffs.     Boone did that the first kickoff and he took it to the house.      So did the Blazers learn anything from that experience when it came to the next kickoff?     Please, don't make me laugh....   of course not, in typical Boone fashion the second kickoff went to #7 again, and I don't mean he had to run 10 yards to get the ball, oh no, he stood still as a statue and let the ball float right down.    Any guesses as to what he did after that??

Dag gummit now Blazer don’t be giving away our secrets, please Crockett kick the ball deep lol. Naw 7 is one of our faster players, his family has played at Central for years.

I suspect that the 4th round will be Knox Central (11-2) at Oak Ridge (11-2). But I would not put money on it. It could just as easily be David Crockett (13-0) vs Catholic (9-3). Or other variation.

Think back to the last time that Quad I & II in 5A had four teams that were so close on paper. I just don't think there will be any blowouts in 5A this week. Not in any of the four games left. If I were predicting this game, I would put it around 35-31. I know that Central has been blowing teams out the last few weeks, but Crockett is simply too good to be utterly destroyed. Defeated? Yes. destroyed? No. 

A lot of the reason I think many are quick to write Crockett off is due to historical issues and specific games. Daniel Boone was destroyed by Central last week. Boone played Crockett close. Those in the Knoxville area may be unaware of how huge the Musket Bowl is for these two schools---and also why you can't base anything on it. I would argue that Crockett is significantly better than Daniel Boone this year. But it was a huge rivalry game. Crockett and Central are both good enough to find themselves in Cookeville. It would be difficult (as either's road doesn't get any easier from here on out). But regardless, I would not bank on there being any more blowouts or lopsided scores. The teams left are too good.   

14 minutes ago, JNewman said:

I suspect that the 4th round will be Knox Central (11-2) at Oak Ridge (11-2). But I would not put money on it. It could just as easily be David Crockett (13-0) vs Catholic (9-3). Or other variation.

Think back to the last time that Quad I & II in 5A had four teams that were so close on paper. I just don't think there will be any blowouts in 5A this week. Not in any of the four games left. If I were predicting this game, I would put it around 35-31. I know that Central has been blowing teams out the last few weeks, but Crockett is simply too good to be utterly destroyed. Defeated? Yes. destroyed? No. 

A lot of the reason I think many are quick to write Crockett off is due to historical issues and specific games. Daniel Boone was destroyed by Central last week. Boone played Crockett close. Those in the Knoxville area may be unaware of how huge the Musket Bowl is for these two schools---and also why you can't base anything on it. I would argue that Crockett is significantly better than Daniel Boone this year. But it was a huge rivalry game. Crockett and Central are both good enough to find themselves in Cookeville. It would be difficult (as either's road doesn't get any easier from here on out). But regardless, I would not bank on there being any more blowouts or lopsided scores. The teams left are too good.   

Idk about Crockett scoring 31 on our defense, but then again idk if we score 35 either. I think it’ll be lower scoring, something like 21-14. Looking forward to another great day of practice like we’ve had the last two days. Must continue to grow each day and it’ continue today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Dag gummit now Blazer don’t be giving away our secrets, please Crockett kick the ball deep lol. Naw 7 is one of our faster players, his family has played at Central for years.

I know you are semi-joking around, but the sad truth is that if Boone had scored a couple of more times we would have still kicked the ball directly to #7.    I know you think I'm kidding but the same thing happened when we played Science Hill a few weeks ago, every kickoff went to #whatever and he burned us every time.    Finally in the second half, with all the Boone fans literally screaming   "#&^!%  DON'T  KICK  THE  BALL  TO  #(?)"  Boone finally figured out to boot it out of bounds.    In a way that is just a tradition at Boone and it is hard to break, i.e., find the best return man on the other team and make sure he gets the kickoff....

I tend to lean torward it being low scoring as well---with each team's defense playing a significant role in frustrating the offense. But weather will play a factor in the flow of the game as well. so will emotions. When you get a two teams like this in action, something always gives. Under normal circumstances, I would agree on the defense winning out (over the offense). But when it's win or go homes, "normal circumstances" go out the window. Agood offense vs a stingy defense---where both are trying to make big plays (in high school) usually (not always---but usually) results in minor mistakes here and there. and when it's an offense that can generally take advantage of those little things--it most often does. 

Ultimately though---whether it's a 7-3 outcome or a 66-62 one--the end result is a four point win either way. Low scoring or high scoring---I think it will be the first time in a while that Central gets properly tested. 

That aside for the moment, Coach Rosser came to Oak Ridge with Coach Blade and was the offensive coordinator in 2009, 2010, and 2011. He knows how to prepare his teams and (unless he's changed a lot)--generates such great rapport with his players that they are willing to go that extra mile to impress him. Like coach Gaddis of Oak Ridge and Gay Rankin at Alcoa, Rosser is a "player's coach." As long as Central has a little bit of talent and steady class size each year, Central will always be in the conversation. They will never have to "rebuild." I hope that Oak Ridge and Central can get back into the same region again. When I was playing, this was hands down the best rivalry. I am hoping that both advance to next week and get an opportunity to meet on the field. If they do, I suspect that THAT alone could be all the motivation each needs to reschedule this game yearly. But for now---at least for another week for certain---I will be cheering on the Bobcats. If I get my way, and Oak Ridge advances in Quad 2 while Central defeats Crockett, for the first time in a long time---I will be cheering against the Bobcats. But just for a week. ;) Because if it's Central vs Oak Ridge, I will be heading to Cookeville next Saturday regardless of who wins that one--- to either watch my Wildcats play---or my Bobcats play! I will be very sad if neither makes it past their opponents this week. :(  

25 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I know you are semi-joking around, but the sad truth is that if Boone had scored a couple of more times we would have still kicked the ball directly to #7.    I know you think I'm kidding but the same thing happened when we played Science Hill a few weeks ago, every kickoff went to #whatever and he burned us every time.    Finally in the second half, with all the Boone fans literally screaming   "#&^!%  DON'T  KICK  THE  BALL  TO  #(?)"  Boone finally figured out to boot it out of bounds.    In a way that is just a tradition at Boone and it is hard to break, i.e., find the best return man on the other team and make sure he gets the kickoff....

Crockett usually kicks it out of bounds start at the 35 so that will do. I remember last year we couldn’t cover kickoffs but it’s different this year.

32 minutes ago, JNewman said:

I tend to lean torward it being low scoring as well---with each team's defense playing a significant role in frustrating the offense. But weather will play a factor in the flow of the game as well. so will emotions. When you get a two teams like this in action, something always gives. Under normal circumstances, I would agree on the defense winning out (over the offense). But when it's win or go homes, "normal circumstances" go out the window. Agood offense vs a stingy defense---where both are trying to make big plays (in high school) usually (not always---but usually) results in minor mistakes here and there. and when it's an offense that can generally take advantage of those little things--it most often does. 

Ultimately though---whether it's a 7-3 outcome or a 66-62 one--the end result is a four point win either way. Low scoring or high scoring---I think it will be the first time in a while that Central gets properly tested. 

That aside for the moment, Coach Rosser came to Oak Ridge with Coach Blade and was the offensive coordinator in 2009, 2010, and 2011. He knows how to prepare his teams and (unless he's changed a lot)--generates such great rapport with his players that they are willing to go that extra mile to impress him. Like coach Gaddis of Oak Ridge and Gay Rankin at Alcoa, Rosser is a "player's coach." As long as Central has a little bit of talent and steady class size each year, Central will always be in the conversation. They will never have to "rebuild." I hope that Oak Ridge and Central can get back into the same region again. When I was playing, this was hands down the best rivalry. I am hoping that both advance to next week and get an opportunity to meet on the field. If they do, I suspect that THAT alone could be all the motivation each needs to reschedule this game yearly. But for now---at least for another week for certain---I will be cheering on the Bobcats. If I get my way, and Oak Ridge advances in Quad 2 while Central defeats Crockett, for the first time in a long time---I will be cheering against the Bobcats. But just for a week. ;) Because if it's Central vs Oak Ridge, I will be heading to Cookeville next Saturday regardless of who wins that one--- to either watch my Wildcats play---or my Bobcats play! I will be very sad if neither makes it past their opponents this week. :(  

If this ends up being a 4 point game then Central did not come to play. Agree with what you said about Rosser though. He is a great coach that came in and changed the culture at Central and is still improving that program everyday. Players love playing for him. 

• Like 1