Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

6 hours ago, bonkers said:

From what I've seen in recent JV/Freshmen games, there's nothing like those four guys coming up, so brace yourselves for a few lean years. You're right about no big plays because there's no speed and no breakaway threats (nobody can go the distance unless we're inside the opponent's ten yard line.

Hey man...that's my line (no breakaway speed...nobody can take it to the house!!!)...but unfortunately, you're right. Put the current OR speedless Wildcats with the ridiculously tough schedule...and I agree with you again...there are MANY lean years ahead. RMS is never good and the boys club has vanished...OR football will never be the same!

1 hour ago, bonkers said:

Who are the possibilities at the other safety? I can't think of anyone.

Adams little brother can play safety, CB and OLB. He was a huge stud in the Bearden program where there are a lot of ties back to the OR late 80's early 90s players-who are now coaching in the Bearden youth program. I was told he is faster than his older brother, put on something 25 pounds and grew a couple inches.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, catswild said:

Hey man...that's my line (no breakaway speed...nobody can take it to the house!!!)...but unfortunately, you're right. Put the current OR speedless Wildcats with the ridiculously tough schedule...and I agree with you again...there are MANY lean years ahead. RMS is never good and the boys club has vanished...OR football will never be the same!

Let's see how the OC develops the new QB. You dont need amazing speed when you have a decent line, solid slot WRs and a decent TE....think 'good hands'...RBs are tough, may not be as fast as Graham but they have bulk and good speed. I'd like to see 44 in at RB on short runs. Id also like to see Stewart more involved in all aspects of the O.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORDT said:

Adams little brother can play safety, CB and OLB. He was a huge stud in the Bearden program where there are a lot of ties back to the OR late 80's early 90s players-who are now coaching in the Bearden youth program. I was told he is faster than his older brother, put on something 25 pounds and grew a couple inches.

That's good to know. Thank you

Im looking for a big yr from Romano.He was our best back in a few games last yr.He could get yards without great blocking.His injury came at the worst time.Also K.Jackson could really breakout.I.Johnson played more than his bro but go watch the Farragut game and you will see J.Johnson is gonna be a playmaker.Also players like T.Rowe and a really good soph class.There is always some guys that come out of nowhere and surprise you in high school.In 1 yr guys can grow and change so much.Go Cats

• Like 1

Stewart and Preston Turner are also candidates @ Safety. BTW, how often have we actually had ‘breakaway speed?’ The Tee’s, Graham’s, Bohanon’s, and McAddley types speed doesn’t come around often. Yeah, it’s nice to have, but if you can’t consistently move the ball down the field you aren’t going to be a really good team. I’m much more concerned that we can be a team that can consistently move the ball down field.

How many long runs did we have against really good opposition last year? I can probably count on one hand how many and 2 were against Catholic. The whole conversation is overrated. I never saw any great speed from either Farragut or Catholic, but both of them beat us, even with our amazing breakaway speed we had last year- because they could consistently move the ball on us when the going got tough, we couldn’t.

At the end of the day, whoever wins the battle up front (offensive and defensive lines) and tackles better generally wins a football game. We have been beaten quite a few times throughout the years by teams who were inferior to us athletically, but were stronger than us on both sides of the ball and blocked our a$&@) off. It doesn’t matter how good your athletes are if they don’t have good blocking up front.

Edited by SweetScience

The freshman team should be really good this year.  They WILL have "breakaway speed"  J. Williams can flat out fly.  There are alot of good football players coming from JMS, and while RMS doesn't send as many players to the 9th grade this year, the ones that are coming can play.  Monday nights will be fun to watch again this year.  Coach Daniel Bass has done a great job with the freshman team the last two years.  This could be his best team yet.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

The freshman team should be really good this year.  They WILL have "breakaway speed"  J. Williams can flat out fly.  There are alot of good football players coming from JMS, and while RMS doesn't send as many players to the 9th grade this year, the ones that are coming can play.  Monday nights will be fun to watch again this year.  Coach Daniel Bass has done a great job with the freshman team the last two years.  This could be his best team yet.  

Does the Casen kid come to the high school this year or will he be at RMS?

28 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Is the RB from Jefferson last year gonna play? He was a stud.

16 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Stewart and Preston Turner are also candidates @ Safety. BTW, how often have we actually had ‘breakaway speed?’ The Tee’s, Graham’s, Bohanon’s, and McAddley types speed doesn’t come around often. Yeah, it’s nice to have, but if you can’t consistently move the ball down the field you aren’t going to be a really good team. I’m much more concerned that we can be a team that can consistently move the ball down field.

How many long runs did we have against really good opposition last year? I can probably count on one hand how many and 2 were against Catholic. The whole conversation is overrated. I never saw any great speed from either Farragut or Catholic, but both of them beat us, even with our amazing breakaway speed we had last year- because they could consistently move the ball on us when the going got tough, we couldn’t.

At the end of the day, whoever wins the battle up front (offensive and defensive lines) and tackles better generally wins a football game. We have been beaten quite a few times throughout the years by teams who were inferior to us athletically, but were stronger than us on both sides of the ball and blocked our a$&@) off. It doesn’t matter how good your athletes are if they don’t have good blocking up front.

Then we're in trouble because even though we supposedly have experience returning up front, we're smaller than everyone we play. That's why having speed is so important. We are NOT going to be better up front than HVA, Farragut, DB, West, Mt Juliet, or Powell, so we better have great speed...and we don't. Remember...I watch line play while the rest of you guys watch the ball.

12 minutes ago, catswild said:

Then we're in trouble because even though we supposedly have experience returning up front, we're smaller than everyone we play. That's why having speed is so important. We are NOT going to be better up front than HVA, Farragut, DB, West, Mt Juliet, or Powell, so we better have great speed...and we don't. Remember...I watch line play while the rest of you guys watch the ball.

I have a feeling we will be pretty stout up front. It all depends how hard those guys have worked in the weight room this offseason.