3A Title Game - Alcoa vs Covington

CHARGERFAN

31 minutes ago, Jmm475 said:

I’ve read in other threads about the open enrollment at Alcoa. I was wondering how many kids on yalls team came from your elementary and middle schools and how many transfer in? In Covington we play with the kids that grow up here. I wish we could get some transfers for high school but that hadn’t caught on in West Tennessee. Thanks and I hope both teams come out injury free Saturday. 

Off the top of my head, we have about 7  (maybe less) that have transferred in out of approximately 80 players. Most of the ones that transferred in now live in the city of Alcoa. Also, the players that dress on Friday nights actually go to Alcoa. Some of us were just enlightened about the CoOp Agreement. Do any schools in West TN offer that? Interesting that Covington isn’t open zone as most high schools in the state of TN are. Covington has a great program along with great coaching. Looking forward to another great game Saturday. Also looking for an injury free game. :thumb:

Edited by Throwdeslant

1 hour ago, Throwdeslant said:

Off the top of my head, we have about 7  (maybe less) that have transferred in out of approximately 80 players. Most of the ones that transferred in now live in the city of Alcoa. Also, the players that dress on Friday nights actually go to Alcoa. Some of us were just enlightened about the CoOp Agreement. Do any schools in West TN offer that? Interesting that Covington isn’t open zone as most high schools in the state of TN are. Covington has a great program along with great coaching. Looking forward to another great game Saturday. Also looking for an injury free game. :thumb:

There are a couple of schools in our area that offer that. For example, kids that go to Madison Academic in Jackson can football at Northside or Liberty. Also students that attend Big Sandy can go to Camden to play football.

4 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

Our county has open enrollment but no one takes advantage of it for sports. It’s only been a option for a few years so maybe it’ll will catch on. The rule is if you transfer before going into high school you can play all 4 years but if you transfer once you start high school, you sit out a year, unless you move residents inside our district. I think Dyer County is that way also. I’m hoping with back to back state appearances that some other kids in our county would be enticed into coming but I doubt it lol. Is this basically what y’all have and did I read where yalls transfers pay a tuition fee? One other rule is you have to provide your own transportation if you do it, so that probably stops it from happening a lot. The rumors we’ve always heard is parents get offered jobs in a aluminum factory to bring their kids in? Whatever the secret is coaching, facilities or just community support it is truly remarkable what y’all have accomplished. I feel our community supports us as much as anyone’s in the state. We literally travel better than most teams have home crowds! Also we do good to get 40 to 50 to come out and play, so 80 is remarkable. I’ve always said if we can get some of the other kids in our school to play that should be playing we would be hard to beat. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by Jmm475
Forgot to add info

1 hour ago, Jmm475 said:

Our county has open enrollment but no one takes advantage of it for sports. It’s only been a option for a few years so maybe it’ll will catch on. The rule is if you transfer before going into high school you can play all 4 years but if you transfer once you start high school, you sit out a year, unless you move residents inside our district. I think Dyer County is that way also. I’m hoping with back to back state appearances that some other kids in our county would be enticed into coming but I doubt it lol. Is this basically what y’all have and did I read where yalls transfers pay a tuition fee? One other rule is you have to provide your own transportation if you do it, so that probably stops it from happening a lot. The rumors we’ve always heard is parents get offered jobs in a aluminum factory to bring their kids in? Whatever the secret is coaching, facilities or just community support it is truly remarkable what y’all have accomplished. I feel our community supports us as much as anyone’s in the state. We literally travel better than most teams have home crowds! Also we do good to get 40 to 50 to come out and play, so 80 is remarkable. I’ve always said if we can get some of the other kids in our school to play that should be playing we would be hard to beat. Thanks for the info. 

Sounds like the rules you have in place are the same ones Alcoa has. Don’t believe everything you hear. The Alunimum Company hasn’t been at that kind of capacity for years. Lol! That’s just haters doing a little hating. With the Alcoa school system being as good as it is, plus the addition of the new high school, along with the feeder programs, great community support, great coaching staff with winning tradition, Alcoa doesn’t have to offer too many job opportunities.  Families want their kids to attend Alcoa and the players want to play.  Sounds like Covington has a great school and great community support. Keep that up and the program will continue to grow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

Sounds like the rules you have in place are the same ones Alcoa has. Don’t believe everything you hear. The Alunimum Company hasn’t been at that kind of capacity for years. Lol! That’s just haters doing a little hating. With the Alcoa school system being as good as it is, plus the addition of the new high school, along with the feeder programs, great community support, great coaching staff with winning tradition, Alcoa doesn’t have to offer too many job opportunities.  Families want their kids to attend Alcoa and the players want to play.  Sounds like Covington has a great school and great community support. Keep that up and the program will continue to grow. 

:thumb:

3 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

Tipton County is definitely not set up to favor Covington in athletics. Crestview Middle School feeds students to Covington High, but not all of them. I remember a couple of years ago, watching a middle school game. I asked "Is that kid going to Covington next year". "Nope zoned for Brighton". Got the same answer on several kids. We can't even get all the kids from that one school.

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Tipton County is definitely not set up to favor Covington in athletics. Crestview Middle School feeds students to Covington High, but not all of them. I remember a couple of years ago, watching a middle school game. I asked "Is that kid going to Covington next year". "Nope zoned for Brighton". Got the same answer on several kids. We can't even get all the kids from that one school.

I’m not sure how the district lines are drawn now in Tipton County. However, at one time the line bobbed and weaved all around Covington and took some areas out that provided many good athletes to Brighton. Walton Loop for example is like 2.5 mile from the high school and those kids were zoned Brighton. That was when Brighton was 6A!! I always heard that the Superintendent at that time was from Brighton and intentionally zoned in favor of Brighton athletics, which hurt Covington for several years! I don’t know though...all hear say.

Looking at Covington's offense last year vs this year, it's nice to see WR#24 gone and a little less threat deep, but the addition of RB#7 in the backfield with #3 and #25 adds more threats in the running game.

I'd like to see Alcoa with #98 ,#33 as ends on a 4-3 and #7 at MLB. #25 and #44 as OLB, and bring the heat every every down, and focus on stopping the run game? 

The Charger Oline and running backs look very good. I'm hoping Alcoa can keep them one dimensional and focus on the run. Biggest threat IMO is #44 at TE and the short pass over the top.

Both of these teams have a lot of their skill players back for the game. Which, will make it very interesting!