West Tn Class A

Intense

58 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

First the disclaimer. I broadcast Westview as well as the other Weakley Co. teams but my daughter-in-law is an administrator in Gibson Co. & have many friends in the Pioneer faithful. That being said here are my observations:

Westview lacks the dribble drive penetration they've had the last four years with Tasia Jones. When the 3's aren't falling you have to create some offense. No one has taken over that role. Think Lady Chargers were a bit leg weary in 2nd half and it showed with long balls being short. Fouls were unbalanced in 1st half but Westview played through it with good bench play and a huge half from PG Zanasha Gadlen and held a good lead anyway. 2nd half fouls were more even.

GC depth took its toll in 2nd half with pace of game never changing and Westview unable to create offense or make 3's. GC outscored WV by 21 points at FT line and won by 6. Credit them attacking the basket. One thing I would agree with post above is "flopping." I can't agree with anyone who encourages that on defense. Two come to mind, one on a blockout on the lane on a FT, the other a post move on Reagan Johnson. Not a Physics professor but when a player goes down harder in a side-by-side position than a moving football player does after a tackle it seems pretty obvious the contact is being "sold." This practice can be assessed a technical foul by rule but is rarely done.

I vote in the AP poll and will vote Gibson Co. #1 in Class A. They are the best team in any class in West Tennessee. 

GC holds their defensive position with the best of them. If the opponent runs through their position, it is a charge. Good luck to Westview. They will get better as they always do come tournament time. They have improved a lot since first time we played. I just think they got tired and that can be fixxed.

11 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

GC holds their defensive position with the best of them. If the opponent runs through their position, it is a charge. 

Didn't refer earlier to taking charges. "Flops" are when contact is minimal, not when defending an attacking offensive player. Can't believe officials still fall for those type of "sell jobs" by defenders.

1 minute ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Didn't refer earlier to taking charges. "Flops" are when contact is minimal, not when defending an attacking offensive player. Can't believe officials still fall for those type of "sell jobs" by defenders.

On the free throw it looked more like to me the GC player tripped.  I noticed the official standing right there making that motion to the coach as well.  And if you are talking about the charge on Johnson from westview that was a textbook charge call imo.   She clearly lowered the should into the defender while making her move.  Were there a couple plays called a charge that the defenses sold contact probably so.  But you get that call when you are in good position.   You don’t get the call if you are not in position. 

3 minutes ago, westtnsportsfan said:

On the free throw it looked more like to me the GC player tripped.  I noticed the official standing right there making that motion to the coach as well.  And if you are talking about the charge on Johnson from westview that was a textbook charge call imo.   She clearly lowered the should into the defender while making her move.  Were there a couple plays called a charge that the defenses sold contact probably so.  But you get that call when you are in good position.   You don’t get the call if you are not in position. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the art of flopping. Have played, coached and broadcast the game for over 50 years. I know what kind of contact it takes for a defender to hit the floor that violently. GC is the best defensive team I've seen and as stated will get my #1 vote on Sunday. They are too good on defense to have to revert to such.

36 minutes ago, NWhoopaholic said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the art of flopping. Have played, coached and broadcast the game for over 50 years. I know what kind of contact it takes for a defender to hit the floor that violently. GC is the best defensive team I've seen and as stated will get my #1 vote on Sunday. They are too good on defense to have to revert to such.

I guess so. Because I didn’t see any “flopping” going on by GC Saturday night.  And highly doubt it is being coached or encouraged  in practice.  The fouls were a little one sided but it was two teams with completely different offensive game plans.  Good luck to Westview the rest of the way.  

23 minutes ago, westtnsportsfan said:

I guess so. Because I didn’t see any “flopping” going on by GC Saturday night.  And highly doubt it is being coached or encouraged  in practice.  The fouls were a little one sided but it was two teams with completely different offensive game plans.  Good luck to Westview the rest of the way.  

I seen two good teams battling it out. Every one has their opinion but Coach Wilkins tells kids to hold their position but they don't practice taking charges. They are encouraged to take charges if they have the position. And i never ever thought i would see a Westview team get tired with an army of players they have. But like I said they will get better as the year goes and good luck to them.

Alright here's my opioion.

11A: McKenzie, Huntingdon and Clarksburg will battle for the district title. A lot of people are hyping the fillies up to contend to go to the state tournament but that's just not the case. I have seen them 3 times against Obion County, Riverside and Henry County. They turn it over like a upward basketball team and when you press them, they are in big trouble. Alli  Jones must step up her game if the Fillies want to win the title. Clarksburg is playing the best ball right now with two quality wins over Bradford and Bolivar. Most of the girls that play basketball for the Rockets run cross country so they are  very quick and conditioned. If they keep playing at the level they are right now, this team will be a tough out come tournament time. McKenzie is playing its worst ball of the season currently. They are out of shape and aren't playing with any heart. They started off the season hot and have just fell apart. They are a great team but they must stay conditioned and continue to work together as a team. West Carroll is improved from last year and if they catch a team on a bad night, it could shake up district standings.

Whoever comes out of the region on our side will be tough outs at state. My pick would be Greenfield and GC, but TCA might have some say into all this. Our girls right now aren’t on the level we have been in a year or two ago, but they play hard and are a young squad that has much more improvement in them to be a good team.