1A All-State

cherokee23

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Southtowner said:

Inside sources compilation:

Q.  How does the high school all state football process work?

* It's an extensive process that includes as many individuals as possible who cover high school athletics for newspapers from around the state. 

* Coaches do not have input (vote) and neither do recruiting services. 

* I usually ask for coaches recommendations from their team and put a list together to email out.

* Statistics from the regular season as well as the postseason are covered.

Q. When does this process take place?

* For football, writers from around the state submit nominations around the week of the title games. 

* There is a meeting (and there were two this year) during the state championships to begin working on the teams and further discussion via phone calls, emails and text messages to try and properly cover all areas of the state and make sure we do not miss deserving individuals. 

* Basically it's the writers from each section of the state who send in nominations from their area, someone compiles all of those based off stats, Mr Football etc and then they send out a list for everyone to look over and make sure none of their local kids are left off.

Q. Who tallies the votes?

* It's someone different every year. I did it for football and basketball for several years.

Consensus :

* It is NOT an exact science and I'm sure there are individuals missed. 

Me :  Thanks.

I checked this topic just so I could congratulate the deserving players on the list from Greenback. CONGRATS TO EACH OF YOU......you all have memories to last a lifetime. Just ask OnB and his buddies......as they should, they're still reliving and telling stories from days gone by. Your kids will be giving you heck someday as you do the same.

As for this All-State banter......have you all not realized the ONLY All-State team that has true credibility is the TnFCA Coaches All-State Team? (That's not to say the kids on the sportswriters' poll didn't have good years, because I guarantee each one had statistical monster years.) This poll you all are fussin' over is based on statistics, because the so-called sportswriters have no flippin' clue what kids opposing coaches are most scared to defend, or scheme around offensively. They don't get to cover the state, or prepare to face the best from other areas like coaches do from watching film and playing those teams. Basic stats can be skewed for many different reasons, most of which you have covered. They do not always tell the real story.

To further bolster my point, if this year has proven nothing else, the newspaper sports coverage (in ETN at least) is non-existent, or pitiful at best. That is, unless they let Jesse Smithey and his @5starpreps team contribute to the voting.....which I'm sure they didn't. I believe you'll find that stud Wingo on the All-State team that matters most in the "ATHLETE" category, just as LadyKee suggested he should be. As usual.......Mom's right! :) 

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS!!!!

Edited by RaiseEmRightnPray
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

I checked this topic just so I could congratulate the deserving players on the list from Greenback. CONGRATS TO EACH OF YOU......you all have memories to last a lifetime. Just ask OnB and his buddies......as they should, they're still reliving and telling stories from days gone by. Your kids will be giving you heck someday as you do the same.

As for this All-State banter......have you all not realized the ONLY All-State team that has true credibility is the TnFCA Coaches All-State Team? (That's not to say the kids on the sportswriters' poll didn't have good years, because I guarantee each one had statistical monster years.) This poll you all are fussin' over is based on statistics, because the so-called sportswriters have no flippin' clue what kids opposing coaches are most scared to defend, or scheme around offensively. They don't get to cover the state, or prepare to face the best from other areas like coaches do from watching film and playing those teams. Basic stats can be skewed for many different reasons, most of which you have covered. They do not always tell the real story.

To further bolster my point, if this year has proven nothing else, the newspaper sports coverage (in ETN at least) is non-existent, or pitiful at best. That is, unless they let Jesse Smithey and his @5starpreps team contribute to the voting.....which I'm sure they didn't. I believe you'll find that stud Wingo on the All-State team that matters most in the "ATHLETE" category, just as LadyKee suggested he should be. As usual.......Mom's right! :) 

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS!!!!

I don’t see the Stud QB Ashworth on this coaches team though. Ashworth was EASILY one of the top 3-4 players for Whitwell, yet he’s not on this coaches all state. Makes zero sense. You also don’t find the SP d lineman on this team, but instead the linebacker. I can’t say that one team is better than the other team. 

3 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I don’t see the Stud QB Ashworth on this coaches team though. Ashworth was EASILY one of the top 3-4 players for Whitwell, yet he’s not on this coaches all state. Makes zero sense. You also don’t find the SP d lineman on this team, but instead the linebacker. I can’t say that one team is better than the other team. 

Mr Magoo done lost his glasses again

1 hour ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS!!!!

You hit the nail on the head.....maybe the mommas should do the voting! I’M KIDDING!!!!!! Could you imagine the horror?

:roflolk:

18 hours ago, ladykee said:

You hit the nail on the head.....maybe the mommas should do the voting! I’M KIDDING!!!!!! Could you imagine the horror?

:roflolk:

Based on the comments from above....they can't get 'em all right, I guess. Maybe you should give them a helping hand?

I wish #23 (and Mom n Dad) the very best of success on the camp/recruiting trail this spring! I hope he lands just where The Good Lord wants him to be. Mine shocked everyone, including his parents. I hope he's going to end up right where the Good Lord wants him to be. I'm going to trust that he is. Sometimes, we can, I truly do believe this to be true......and, as Garth Brooks so eloquently stated, "Thank God for unanswered prayers."

2 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Based on the comments from above....they can't get 'em all right, I guess. Maybe you should give them a helping hand?

I wish #23 (and Mom n Dad) the very best of success on the camp/recruiting trail this spring! I hope he lands just where The Good Lord wants him to be. Mine shocked everyone, including his parents. I hope he's going to end up right where the Good Lord wants him to be. I'm going to trust that he is. Sometimes, we can, I truly do believe this to be true......and, as Garth Brooks so eloquently stated, "Thank God for unanswered prayers."

That’s what I have told him since day one. I want him to go where God wants him and if it’s not where the Lord wants him then I pray that he shuts the door. 

3 hours ago, Gbnation said:

That’s what I have told him since day one. I want him to go where God wants him and if it’s not where the Lord wants him then I pray that he shuts the door. 

You're way ahead of me, Dad. It will make the process much less stressful on you and LadyKee. It is going to be quite stressful on him, no matter what school he chooses, simply because he's good enough to garner interest from all levels. Thankfully, he's a very bright kid, and I'm sure he will handle it along with the school/ACT responsibilities just as mine has. I just hope you have a peace about things when it is all said and done. 

19 minutes ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

You're way ahead of me, Dad. It will make the process much less stressful on you and LadyKee. It is going to be quite stressful on him, no matter what school he chooses, simply because he's good enough to garner interest from all levels. Thankfully, he's a very bright kid, and I'm sure he will handle it along with the school/ACT responsibilities just as mine has. I just hope you have a peace about things when it is all said and done. 

+1

Edited by Gbnation

6 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Sometimes I wish the boy did stress a little more over the ACT lol! He took his 1st one and got the score he needed but knows he can do better. He didn’t manage the time well on 3 parts and ran way out of time and just had to circle a lot of answers in. Of course the part he finished with time to spare was way higher score than those other 3 so he looked at that as a positive and said now I  know better how to tackle that beast. He’s chomping at the bit to take another stab at it to raise that overall composite score. He’s a glass is always half full kind of kid and doesn’t sweat much over stuff. Not to say he is laid back because the kid can be high strung with a high motor but maturity keeps that in check most of the time. We’ve always laughed and joked when he was younger that if given a tough choice he’ll go with something like which school colors he likes best which is obviously the least thing that should be on a priority list. You know as well as I though Junior year is typically the overall funnest and much less stress free compared to Senior year. The mindset changes in the year of “lasts” and it starts getting real. I hate he got the injury in the playoffs but going through that has changed him for the better on many levels. Best of luck to that TE of yours and whether he plays throughout college or not he’s got to do what is best for him in the long run. We learned that with the 1st one and he’s hung the cleats up, trudging away at that engineering degree, met “the” girl on campus, & making plans for his future. At the end of the day he’s happy and still following God so what more can we want as a parent? Ok back to football....

18 hours ago, ladykee said:

Sometimes I wish the boy did stress a little more over the ACT lol! He took his 1st one and got the score he needed but knows he can do better. He didn’t manage the time well on 3 parts and ran way out of time and just had to circle a lot of answers in. Of course the part he finished with time to spare was way higher score than those other 3 so he looked at that as a positive and said now I  know better how to tackle that beast. He’s chomping at the bit to take another stab at it to raise that overall composite score. He’s a glass is always half full kind of kid and doesn’t sweat much over stuff. Not to say he is laid back because the kid can be high strung with a high motor but maturity keeps that in check most of the time. We’ve always laughed and joked when he was younger that if given a tough choice he’ll go with something like which school colors he likes best which is obviously the least thing that should be on a priority list. You know as well as I though Junior year is typically the overall funnest and much less stress free compared to Senior year. The mindset changes in the year of “lasts” and it starts getting real. I hate he got the injury in the playoffs but going through that has changed him for the better on many levels. Best of luck to that TE of yours and whether he plays throughout college or not he’s got to do what is best for him in the long run. We learned that with the 1st one and he’s hung the cleats up, trudging away at that engineering degree, met “the” girl on campus, & making plans for his future. At the end of the day he’s happy and still following God so what more can we want as a parent? Ok back to football....

Our kids could be related somehow....LOL!!! Mine did the very same thing the first go-around on the ACT. Now, he's blown it out, and getting most of his education paid for that he would've gotten, if he'd played football. He's done. When all of the schools that have come back around this past couple of weeks can't interest him, I know he's completely done. I'll get over it someday......probably when he's walking down that aisle with his engineering degree and "the" girl is waiting to celebrate with him. :)