Derrick Davis resigns (Polk Co.)

OldCharger

On 1/4/2019 at 9:06 AM, thegreatwhite1 said:

When the Title IX mafia wants to play soccer on that Grider mans field, they will... you think im joking but im not

Those Title IX maffie may end up hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa.  In otherwords, when they get to pay their share of the upkeep since it doesn't come from tax dollars. 

Everyone needs to know that Coach Davis's resignation is not about soccer. Actually, it goes much deeper and there are things that led up to Coach Davis's decision that I would never put on a forum out of respect to those involved.

I will touch on one thing about the soccer field. When the soccer program started using the football practice field the soccer coaches had no problem with it, it was the parents that did the complaining. Not one person talked to Coach Davis about using the football field for soccer games until a small group of parents whose kids had reached high school and played soccer. One parent said "We are going to play on your field, if not you will be sorry". The school system was giving the soccer team options to build a new field and one of those parents said "I don't care if you build us the Taj Mahal of soccer complexes we are going to play on Larry G. Davis field". This same parent applied for the head football coaches position when Coach Davis got the job 19 yrs. ago (he had no real coaching experience) and he has hated the Davis family ever since and is now working in Central Office. 

Let's say you are a coach and have worked tirelessly to keep the field and facilities in the best shape possible and then a group of parents from another sport comes and tells you what is going to happen on the field that you take care of through blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention the money it takes for weed control, over-seeding, fertilizer, aeration, and mowing twice a week from spring through fall. Keeping up a field done right cost a lot of money and is hard work.

What if the soccer coaches had come to Coach Davis and said if we use the field we will split the cost of expenses and help maintain the field? That never happened because the soccer coaches were glad to play on the football practice field that Coach Davis kept mowed and watered for them to use. All they had to do was line it off for games.

How much money has this small group of parents raised for a soccer field to be built?

I will say one more thing and I'm done with about the soccer issue, but this shows you some of the character of these parents. I know of one soccer dad that went out and raised money for the soccer team to travel, provide meals and lodging for the state tournament. When he gave the money to the soccer coaches he demanded that his family get free rooms since he raised the money and pitched a fit with the coaches until he got his way. That should tell you all you need to know!!!

Again, this is not the sole reason Coach Davis resigned but you can see a pattern of what he has been dealing with for the last 5-6 years.

People are sometimes blind or spineless when it comes to standing up for what is right. (i.e. the superintendent.)

1 hour ago, boothman said:

Everyone needs to know that Coach Davis's resignation is not about soccer. Actually, it goes much deeper and there are things that led up to Coach Davis's decision that I would never put on a forum out of respect to those involved.

I will touch on one thing about the soccer field. When the soccer program started using the football practice field the soccer coaches had no problem with it, it was the parents that did the complaining. Not one person talked to Coach Davis about using the football field for soccer games until a small group of parents whose kids had reached high school and played soccer. One parent said "We are going to play on your field, if not you will be sorry". The school system was giving the soccer team options to build a new field and one of those parents said "I don't care if you build us the Taj Mahal of soccer complexes we are going to play on Larry G. Davis field". This same parent applied for the head football coaches position when Coach Davis got the job 19 yrs. ago (he had no real coaching experience) and he has hated the Davis family ever since and is now working in Central Office. 

Let's say you are a coach and have worked tirelessly to keep the field and facilities in the best shape possible and then a group of parents from another sport comes and tells you what is going to happen on the field that you take care of through blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention the money it takes for weed control, over-seeding, fertilizer, aeration, and mowing twice a week from spring through fall. Keeping up a field done right cost a lot of money and is hard work.

What if the soccer coaches had come to Coach Davis and said if we use the field we will split the cost of expenses and help maintain the field? That never happened because the soccer coaches were glad to play on the football practice field that Coach Davis kept mowed and watered for them to use. All they had to do was line it off for games.

How much money has this small group of parents raised for a soccer field to be built?

I will say one more thing and I'm done with about the soccer issue, but this shows you some of the character of these parents. I know of one soccer dad that went out and raised money for the soccer team to travel, provide meals and lodging for the state tournament. When he gave the money to the soccer coaches he demanded that his family get free rooms since he raised the money and pitched a fit with the coaches until he got his way. That should tell you all you need to know!!!

Again, this is not the sole reason Coach Davis resigned but you can see a pattern of what he has been dealing with for the last 5-6 years.

People are sometimes blind or spineless when it comes to standing up for what is right. (i.e. the superintendent.)

Perfect post

Daaaaaaaaang if it is as hostile over there as it seems, I’m not sure who would even want the job. Lol 

Good luck to Coach Davis, wherever he ends up. I know it’s been a rough couple of years, but I’ll never forget some of those Polk County teams from 2009-2013 — absolutely dominant in this area. Great coach, great guy. 

2 hours ago, MarsBlackmon said:

Daaaaaaaaang if it is as hostile over there as it seems, I’m not sure who would even want the job. Lol 

Good luck to Coach Davis, wherever he ends up. I know it’s been a rough couple of years, but I’ll never forget some of those Polk County teams from 2009-2013 — absolutely dominant in this area. Great coach, great guy. 

Agreed my little brother was the center for  some of those teams. He was a senior the year we mercy ruled SP. I know it is what it is but if we was 2a then we would've had a gold ball his junior and senior year. I always go over and watch he championships and 2a those years wouldn't had a chance against them. But whoever gets Coach Davis is getting one heck of a ball coach and great man. 

Edited by Blaster7

8 hours ago, boothman said:

This is very sad this went down this way.