Why Middle and East TN power houses won't play each other?

FBfan26

I was having a conversation yesterday and was really wondering Rutherford County/ Sumner County schools Dont play the MBAs,BAs Regularly. Why we haven't seen any Alcoas or Greenvilles of the East do a home and home with any of these privates and was told they reached out. I know most of Rutherford county's excuses but curious.

Alcoa is playing home and home with Blackman beginning this year, and they play home and home with Maryville and D-B, and have for a while. 

That's 3 pretty tough non-region games. 

Greeneville plays home and home non-region with Powell, Science Hill, and Austin-East this cycle.  None of those are chopped liver.  

It's easy to sit back and criticise schools for not traveling across to state to play, but the reality is that it's more economics than anything.  Taking long trips is expensive considering the bus bills, meals, and other incidentals.  And when playing home and homes with schools in other parts of the state, gates suffer, and especially when playing private schools that just don't have a big fan base to begin with.  Ticket sales matter.  

Scheduling has to make sense logistically and financially.  Every dollar counts in a high school football program.  It's an expensive sport in which to field a team.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

I was having a conversation yesterday and was really wondering Rutherford County/ Sumner County schools Dont play the MBAs,BAs Regularly. Why we haven't seen any Alcoas or Greenvilles of the East do a home and home with any of these privates and was told they reached out. I know most of Rutherford county's excuses but curious.

What benefit does a Sumner Co school have in playing one of these teams?  In my opinion they might as well not exist because they offer financial aid and get to pick and choose while others have to take what we are given.  I enjoy the community schools a lot more.  They can schedule each other or out of state.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

What benefit does a Sumner Co school have in playing one of these teams?  In my opinion they might as well not exist because they offer financial aid and get to pick and choose while others have to take what we are given.  I enjoy the community schools a lot more.  They can schedule each other or out of state.  

I agree. When I lived in Oak Ridge, I didn't give the Private schools any thought. Then I moved to Chattanooga and had my eyes opened about the good and bad about Private schools. I was a third grade teacher at a minority inner-city Chattanooga school. At one point, I had three former students playing at Baylor. Then the report cards came out and all three were shown the door.Two finished at Tyner and one at Brainerd. Young kids need to be careful when they leave their original school districts and go mess with the Private schools. The Private schools are more cut throat.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I agree. When I lived in Oak Ridge, I didn't give the Private schools any thought. Then I moved to Chattanooga and had my eyes opened about the good and bad about Private schools. I was a third grade teacher at a minority inner-city Chattanooga school. At one point, I had three former students playing at Baylor. Then the report cards came out and all three were shown the door.Two finished at Tyner and one at Brainerd. Young kids need to be careful when they leave their original school districts and go mess with the Private schools. The Private schools are more cut throat.

Exactly!  How many academic kids get recruited and have financial aid packages?  To me....they are not in our league and I really don’t give them a second thought anymore.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HTV said:

Alcoa is playing home and home with Blackman beginning this year, and they play home and home with Maryville and D-B, and have for a while. 

That's 3 pretty tough non-region games. 

Greeneville plays home and home non-region with Powell, Science Hill, and Austin-East this cycle.  None of those are chopped liver.  

It's easy to sit back and criticise schools for not traveling across to state to play, but the reality is that it's more economics than anything.  Taking long trips is expensive considering the bus bills, meals, and other incidentals.  And when playing home and homes with schools in other parts of the state, gates suffer, and especially when playing private schools that just don't have a big fan base to begin with.  Ticket sales matter.  

Scheduling has to make sense logistically and financially.  Every dollar counts in a high school football program.  It's an expensive sport in which to field a team.  

Cool I didnt know Alcoa is playing blackman that's huge and I understand you 100%

4 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

I dont think y'all would be invited gwave lol. "I just had to poke you from another post lol" I mean Sumner county is the Sec of HS football in the state correct? The ONLY reason I wouldn't want to play them is because they take your kids but they normally get them coming out of middle school. I enjoy community sports to be love seeing folks step out Their comfort zone.

3 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I agree 100% because they only want you for one reason

5 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Now you know this answer the gate. Whatever happened to just a good football game to watch? You have 3 other slots to make money games. Most of these coaches are scared to schedule tough, because they think going 9-1 looks better every year. Schedule teams they know it will be easy win. Then hide behind it don't make sense to schedule them. What about win or lose, it will make your team better late in the year. Money games will always be there, but the lack of competition and competing is missing from high school football.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Just want to remind everyone that Maryville and Oakland played each other in a home and home the last two years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I dont think y'all would be invited gwave lol. "I just had to poke you from another post lol" I mean Sumner county is the Sec of HS football in the state correct? The ONLY reason I wouldn't want to play them is because they take your kids but they normally get them coming out of middle school. I enjoy community sports to be love seeing folks step out Their comfort zone.

I don’t think Summer Co is the SEC of high school football but they definitely are not the Patriot league either.  They usually field a very competitive product.