Dresden and Scotts Hill

Revrevitup

CONGRATS to our Dresden Lions who won 14-7 (radio said). Sounds like it was a nerve-wracking contest. Wish I was there. This could be a BIG morale booster for Dresden. Scotts Hill is not a gimme for anyone, esp with the momentum they had from their spanking of Walnut, MS (I think, right,?) last week. I'm sure SH will rebound from this and keep on their upward & onward path. Again, the injured player(s), in this game & others, everyone praying for quick & full recoveries!   

Dresden did what they had to do to win, and Scotts Hill didn't. Our offensive line got beat all night long... not necessarily pushed around, but outmaneuvered. We had too many penalties, mostly at very inopportune times too, and that about covers the bare facts. Scotts Hill actually scored three times and fumbled the ball in the end zone going in for the fourth. One score called back for holding almost certainly happened by the way the play developed, but one was ( IMO) a phantom call... ball fake to the back and a bootleg left the QB alone in the backfield, and the receiver alone down the field... where the hold took place is anyone's guess. Also had a big gain to 1'st and goal territory called back for ineligible downfield, which was correct. Another gain through the air inside the ten called back for offsetting penalties( holding again vs. late hit on the QB). Not trying to make excuses, just showing that big mistakes cost us the game. Taking nothing from Dresden either... they were a tough and scrappy bunch who could have folded when the QB went down, but seemed to fight harder afterward.

Our defense gave up some yardage to the smaller of Dresden's backs, who (IMO) wasn't as good as Walnut's, but broke containment several times for decent gains. Other than that, the defense played well enough to win most games. Dresden's defense is pretty good against the run, but suspect against the pass, which we took care of by committing penalty's on almost every big play.

Not going to give details on the injury... he'll be fine, just not soon. Prayers for the young man and his family... you just hate to see anyone hurt playing a game that they love, and the family worrying about a son/grandson.

Thanks for that synopsis tradertwo. And oh wow... that is a bitterpill to swallow in those kind of games. The ones where the calls are the difference makers. Don't get me started on that.. I have waxed loooong & laboriously before on the issue of officials & calls, and made "enemies" on here for my diatribes. The worst part of it is IMHO that there are no recources to overturn an obvious bad, game-costing call (myriads of them, even costing championships on last play!), nor is there any  accountability for anyone who habitually does such things. Don't have to answer to anyone. The thing of: Who watches the watchers? Who makes accountable the rule-makers? Etc. ... I hate that kind of game... sort of glad I wasn't there after hearing this. But it does happen, and waaaaay too often at that. Thus another reason why I luv Luv LUV HS sports, esp football, in that it is a microcosm of real life. It doesn't take long to find out life ain't fair, the best & most qualified don't always rise to top, biases & foul-play & corruption often have sway over the good people & fairplay... on & on. And yet the good-folk still have to stick to being honorable, playing by rules. and doing the right thing even when it seems nobody else does, and when doing so seems to make it worse for you instead of betterment. A tough pill indeed. Sorry for y'alls loss under those conditions... sadly it's a too common part of HS sports, as it is in real-life after school. I know y'all will overcome this, & twas good for y'all it not a Region/Conference game. Learn those lessons & let it spur your Lions onward to striving for a "perfect":team, like in Remember The Titans. Our Lions will now have a key, wounded Pride Member to overcome, & to circle the wagons around. Wonder which teammates will step-up & help fill that space left? Wonder how coaches-staff will regather the pride and prepare for next week vs Lake Co? I'm glad such challenges aren't what I'm facing. Coaching aint easy at all! ... Looking forward to seeing how your Lions get past this type of loss trader two, & how ours deal with such an important, wounded, key player. Esp. when it's against "you know who". I have 110% confidence our Lions will be game ready next Friday, and yours will too. Again..a BIG THANK YOU tradertwo for your generous & kind offers of helping me if I got there. You're just amazing. Thanks! Good luck rest of your season. GO LIONS! 

50 minutes ago, HevyReturns said:

Thanks for that synopsis tradertwo. And oh wow... that is a bitterpill to swallow in those kind of games. The ones where the calls are the difference makers. Don't get me started on that.. I have waxed loooong & laboriously before on the issue of officials & calls, and made "enemies" on here for my diatribes. The worst part of it is IMHO that there are no recources to overturn an obvious bad, game-costing call (myriads of them, even costing championships on last play!), nor is there any  accountability for anyone who habitually does such things. Don't have to answer to anyone. The thing of: Who watches the watchers? Who makes accountable the rule-makers? Etc. ... I hate that kind of game... sort of glad I wasn't there after hearing this. But it does happen, and waaaaay too often at that. Thus another reason why I luv Luv LUV HS sports, esp football, in that it is a microcosm of real life. It doesn't take long to find out life ain't fair, the best & most qualified don't always rise to top, biases & foul-play & corruption often have sway over the good people & fairplay... on & on. And yet the good-folk still have to stick to being honorable, playing by rules. and doing the right thing even when it seems nobody else does, and when doing so seems to make it worse for you instead of betterment. A tough pill indeed. Sorry for y'alls loss under those conditions... sadly it's a too common part of HS sports, as it is in real-life after school. I know y'all will overcome this, & twas good for y'all it not a Region/Conference game. Learn those lessons & let it spur your Lions onward to striving for a "perfect":team, like in Remember The Titans. Our Lions will now have a key, wounded Pride Member to overcome, & to circle the wagons around. Wonder which teammates will step-up & help fill that space left? Wonder how coaches-staff will regather the pride and prepare for next week vs Lake Co? I'm glad such challenges aren't what I'm facing. Coaching aint easy at all! ... Looking forward to seeing how your Lions get past this type of loss trader two, & how ours deal with such an important, wounded, key player. Esp. when it's against "you know who". I have 110% confidence our Lions will be game ready next Friday, and yours will too. Again..a BIG THANK YOU tradertwo for your generous & kind offers of helping me if I got there. You're just amazing. Thanks! Good luck rest of your season. GO LIONS! 

This will make both teams better Hevy. Your team needed to win, and they did. My team needs to learn that a "small" mistake can cost the team big, and they will. I didn't mean to imply that the officials cost SH the win... they did not. We had several chances to score while leading and didn't for many reasons, not just a bad call or two. Had a chance to tie at the end... made up the yardage penalized on one play, just to go behind the sticks again with another penalty on the next play. Even our last offensive play... receiver looked to have a good chance to convert 4'th down deep in Dresden territory, but cruised out of bounds with no contact two yards short and only one defender close. Just growing pains from a young team learning to win. Last week we were almost perfect... hardly any mental mistakes, disciplined on both sides of the ball, and beat a good team without looking outstanding anywhere... this week, we were sloppy on offense, missed good opportunities to score with mental mistakes and missed assignments, and just flat outplayed. Hard to watch, but it will make us better.